Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Considering a CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a CTS-V

Hey guys...I'm considering buying one of the 1st gen CTS-V's as a replacement for my Porsche Boxster S as a daily driver. I was originally looking at Vette's but I like the practicality of the Caddy with its back seat, comfy interior, etc.

Anyways...had a few questions for you guys. First off, anybody on here use their V as a daily driver, and how do you like it for that?

How is the reliability on these cars? And I'm not just talking about catastrophic stuff (rear diff failure,etc) but also just stuff like needing to replace wheel bearing, oil leak, squeaks and rattles, etc etc etc

Is it worth it to pay extra for a low mileage car vs high? Keep in mind this will be a DD and not a showcar. Also what is considered high mileage for the gen-1 V's?

Problems/things to look for in a CTS-V?

Final question...what gas mileage do you guys get in these cars?

Thanks in advance, Luke
Old 07-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

Subscribing...
Old 07-19-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought my V in April as my daily, retiring an F250 SD 4x4 that achieved 16mpg combined driving.

Bought an 06 because I WANTED a truck motor and the diff issues had apprantly been addressed, although not comlpetely solved.

Low v high mileage. I see 150K-200K LS based Camarod and Firebirds all the time, all running just fine. LS motors are O-ring motors for the most part and rarely develop and oil leak, except for the rear main seal after about 130K or so. So the premium price low mileage Vs fetch aren't worth the price for a daily.

These cars won't be collectible any time soon with a 100K on the clock. 10K mile garage queens, yes ... 100K mile dailys, no.

I chose a V instead of a Vette for much the reasoning as you are looking. Vettes are pretty common cars now. But a rumbling Caddy is a head turner.

I have been a little disappointed in seating. I don't find the seats comfortable for extended periods of winshield time. I'm 6' and weigh 275.

The seat bolsters squeak against the center console and the Bose stereo hasn't a lot of punch.

Combined fuel economy has been disappointing too as I see between 18-20 mpg which isn't too far off my PSD.

But economy comes at the expense of the grin on my face as I mash the loud peddle. I bet this motor would pull my trailer better than the PSD.

And parts are stoopid expensive. And speaking of stoopid expensive, inurance is higher on the V than a Vette. My policy is up for renewal in October and I'm shopping around for a better deal.

Overall, I think its a great commuter car. It CAN get 25mpg ... but I doubt you'll see it once you get behind the wheel.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by RDRCKT
Hey guys...I'm considering buying one of the 1st gen CTS-V's as a replacement for my Porsche Boxster S as a daily driver. I was originally looking at Vette's but I like the practicality of the Caddy with its back seat, comfy interior, etc.

Anyways...had a few questions for you guys. First off, anybody on here use their V as a daily driver, and how do you like it for that?

How is the reliability on these cars? And I'm not just talking about catastrophic stuff (rear diff failure,etc) but also just stuff like needing to replace wheel bearing, oil leak, squeaks and rattles, etc etc etc

Is it worth it to pay extra for a low mileage car vs high? Keep in mind this will be a DD and not a showcar. Also what is considered high mileage for the gen-1 V's?

Problems/things to look for in a CTS-V?

Final question...what gas mileage do you guys get in these cars?

Thanks in advance, Luke
I have put 18k on my 04 in 3 months....I'd say it's more than a dd....motor mounts are ****, replaced mine in the first month....weak rear end but if you're running stock power and no 5grand launches you should be okay... My radio ***** are flaking off, saying that it's been the BEST purchase I've made yet.....come on in and join the V crowd
Old 07-19-2010, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

RDRCKT,

I snagged up my V about 2 months ago after rolling in my H2 on 39.5" Super Swampers for a couple years. Love the truck....would do anything, go anywhere....but it was time for a change.

My impressions:

The build quality of the V is really better than I expected. Is it as lush as my wife's 7 series BMW...no. However, it is much more sporty. My car is an '05 (with the non-truck motor) and had 100K on the clock when I bought it. It has NO rattles.....again, NONE.

I have had no problems in the 2 months I have owned it and have driven the hell out of it. Nice to know that while parts may be high, any local mechanic can turn a wrench on it.

Already at 110K miles. Hard take offs....check. 150+mph runs.....check. I average around 17mpg in mixed driving and have gotten 26mpg on the highway.

If you are looking for the best handling, insanely fast, and "muscle car" sedan that is easy to fix.....buy a V.

LAW
Old 07-19-2010, 11:05 PM
Teching In

As soon as I can shorten my commute, right now 130 round trip, I'll use my 06 as a commuter. One big reason I don't commute in my V right now are the rice bugs from the fields of rice in Nor Cal. It doesn't take but one trip down I 5 to cover the entire front end with bugs. The car is too nice to be subjected to that abuse. I've had a few problems with my V, leaky diff, whining trans. All issues are being taken care of. My radio also had issues but has been fixed. My car is 100% stock.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:11 PM

Thanks a lot for all the input guys...so far it's been exactly what I wanted to hear. Man this is tempting.

I've found one locally with 96k miles but appears to be in good condition in pics...guy's asking $15k for it. This is a bit higher mileage than I'd really like, but it's 10 miles from my house (next closest I've found is 200ish) and it's the color combo I want (black/black).
So I'm gonna go look at it tomorrow and do a test drive...is there anything in particular I should pay attention to?
Old 07-19-2010, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

Just go flog it....you will fall in love and buy it.

On a side note, the black on black is the most sought after color combo and if the car is in good shape, don't let the miles put you off.

Keep us posted,

LAW
Old 07-20-2010, 05:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

15 with 96k is a pretty fair price. you may be able to talk to the price down a little, but not much. car is listed at what most will go for.

when you drive, drive it like you stole it, and you will buy it that day

edit: especially black on black. LAW is right, most people want that color combo. so they will fetch a little more.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:15 AM
Launching!

I bought my V back in January. I Sold my motorcycle and truck that shared DD duty and bought the V as my new DD. I have put 9k on it in the last 6 months. Not a whole lot but still a decent bit of miles. I love every second of this car. It is 100% stock minus the updated diff from GM. I need to get new bushings and motor mounts but other than that the car is a perfect DD.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RDRCKT
Thanks a lot for all the input guys...so far it's been exactly what I wanted to hear. Man this is tempting.

I've found one locally with 96k miles but appears to be in good condition in pics...guy's asking $15k for it. This is a bit higher mileage than I'd really like, but it's 10 miles from my house (next closest I've found is 200ish) and it's the color combo I want (black/black).
So I'm gonna go look at it tomorrow and do a test drive...is there anything in particular I should pay attention to?
I bought my platinum/black a cpl months ago and it had 62k on it, I gave 18,300....i had plans to haggle him down and play hard ball, one drive and I signed the check.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

Updated Diff?
Old 07-20-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Without going into detail, the LS2 is NOT a truck engine! I don't know why people say that...is it because it was put into the SSR & Trailblazer SS? If that's the case then the LS1 could be considered a truck engine as well, since the SSR originally had that engine (before the LS2); of course, it's not, just saying...

The truck engine used different heads/cam, and iron block, etc., etc...it shares the same displacement, but so do the LS1/LS6 and they're not the same (but closer related than the truck/car engine).

Anyway, I bought a 2007 CTS-V a few weeks ago and have been enjoying it and it is my DD (about 60 miles a day) and I wouldn't hesitate driving it anywhere at anytime. It's a well made car and all around performance and practicality, as well as rarely seeing others on the road (however, it's not like the GTO, in the sense you do see a lot of "regular" CTS')...Nice thing about it is it's subtle, yet beastly; hard to explain.

The only advice I'd say to watch out for is the previous owners and if they abused them. Being these are getting so much cheaper, seems to be a lot of 'newbs' getting them and who knows what they do to them and how they drive...stay away from hacked up ones!

Last edited by JNR_Design; 07-20-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:30 PM
TECH Regular

All the above + some, for instance, a lower mileage car/newer LS2 motor style will likely net you a warranty/extended warranty, definitely could come in handy. I have had mine for almost a year now, and only ran into the typical motor mount problem, unless you get one that has already been done, you WILL have to change these. I daily drive my 04 50 miles a day, and have yet to have a problem.

Also spend time looking, deals are out there if you are patient, I got my 04 with 50k for 16000 out the door, at a dealership,
Old 07-20-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

there a guy selling an 05 Silver with 66k on it for 19,5 in the V Classifieds...
Old 07-21-2010, 12:21 PM

Well, I test drove the CTS-V I found locally today. It was kinda ragged out and the paint had some issues that didn't show up in the pics so I don't think I'll be buying this one.
But for CTS-V's in general...I'm hooked. These cars weigh 3,800lbs but drive like they're 3,000lbs. Incredible power, brakes, and cornering abilities for a big heavy 4-door sedan. Now it's just a matter of finding the right one.

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
there a guy selling an 05 Silver with 66k on it for 19,5 in the V Classifieds...
Looks nice but I'm trying to find one a bit closer to me. Still good to have info about what these cars are going for though.

Last edited by RDRCKT; 07-22-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:40 PM
11 Second Club

Shop around and you will find what you want.

Last edited by 300zxls1; 11-03-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:50 PM
Launching!

Good luck finding your V. You'll love as I'm sure you realized after your test drive.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:17 AM
Staging Lane

Hey 300zxls1, Not to highjack this thread, but can you post a sound clip or two of your car? I have magnapacks on my Cobra and am curious to see what they sound like on a 6.0L.

Also, how bad do the squeaks and rattles get as the mileage climbs? My 100K+ Civic and Dakota are squeak and rattle free, I would hate to be annoyed by them at 70K+.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:37 AM
TECH Resident

The only time it starts getting noisey is when the stock soft mounts (engine, tranny, diff) start wearing out. Cadillac's mounts do not last long as they should have never been in a 400hp car. There are a few aftermarket options that should never wear out.

Quick Reply: Considering a CTS-V