Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

something broke... *Now with Pics of the Axle*

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a broken CV to me!
Old 09-12-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Wuzzy
i wouldn't if it is the axles, they might replace your geforce assembly with stockers...
Was that a serious response? lol The op has an unknown problem. That is why you go to the dealership to have it diagnosed. Once the issue is diagnosed they will discuss the options with you. If the problem is an aftermarket mod they will not cover it anyway (in most cases). If the problem is the cv then they will replace it under warranty. They will not randomly go through the car and convert modded items with stock ones.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by whisler151
Was that a serious response? lol The op has an unknown problem. That is why you go to the dealership to have it diagnosed. Once the issue is diagnosed they will discuss the options with you. If the problem is an aftermarket mod they will not cover it anyway (in most cases). If the problem is the cv then they will replace it under warranty. They will not randomly go through the car and convert modded items with stock ones.
100% serious, it is easy to tell if it is the axles with what i said above, if he can rule the axles out, then i would take it in (please use your warranty service, that is what it is there for). I would just hate to see an ambitious dealer see that the axle is broken, and replace it, without noticing that they are aftermarket axles, unless they deal with our cars all the time, i doubt they would notice.

It is warranty work after all, so i don't see a customer taking a car in for warranty work, the dealer saying yup we will replace your axle, but asking the customer if they can fix the problem that the customer towed his car in for... My two cents at least. Hopefully my clarification in the paragraph above clarifies what i meant, if not the axles, heck yeah have the dealer cover it under warranty
Old 09-12-2010, 09:49 PM
FormerVendor

We've had a bunch of dealers install our axles as replacements for the factory axles.
They dont seem to mind much when the replacements come with a good warrant and are from a well known and reputable company. You might run it by them first though.

Thanks
Chris
Old 09-13-2010, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

i will know more when the dealership called me. bastards.

i talked to several dealer in the area, and they are all saying with the axles the warranty is voided. and i read through my warranty info packet, anything done to change the car "after final assembly" will void the warranty. but i am hoping they will work with me on my mods...and maybe just ignore them.

where i was when it went (near a staging lane for a strip) out was sorta beneficial. my brother in law's mechanic said from when he was seeing, feeling and hearing it is in the rear. and he was leaning toward CV joint. another guy said something could be wrong with the slave or master cylinder. best thing is, i had no issues just leaving the car in stockton...since it cant be driven anywhere. take that car thief douches.

i already have a plan for each one:

if its a CV, just get them replaced so i can get home.

if its something within the tranny, then i am going to have them install an LS7 clutch in the car. since they will already be in there.

now, i just need to get some scratch together to pay for it. any donations will be accepted happily
Old 09-13-2010, 12:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sucks to hear, read over the magnuson moss warranty act. anything you change the can attribute to something breaking voids the warranty for that part. So yes, the added power of the long tubes could be attirbuted to the diff breaking and the axles can definetly be attributed since they are not oem. good luck, different dealers arent nearly as picky.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
sucks to hear, read over the magnuson moss warranty act. anything you change the can attribute to something breaking voids the warranty for that part. So yes, the added power of the long tubes could be attirbuted to the diff breaking and the axles can definetly be attributed since they are not oem. good luck, different dealers arent nearly as picky.
i hope you are right...maybe i can temp them with a ride
Old 09-13-2010, 08:22 AM
TECH Regular

Whenever I break CV joints, my car just creeps foward then it just stops creeping foward.

Its a CV. Get under the car and see if either one of the axles moves up and down easily. If it does, you got a broken CV
Old 09-13-2010, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
i hope you are right...maybe i can temp them with a ride
I've had good and bad luck with my dealership. If they can show that your mod directly effected the breakage or that your aftermarket part will increase repair time drastically you may be SOL. I imagine that if I broke my CV they would try to say that my aftermarket axles put more stress on the CV causing it to break. I would fight that all the way up the chain though.

I think that tipping your service adviser helps too.

Pre cam with headers:
-Motor mounts were declined
-Rear diff bushing was replaced even with the aftermarket axles (that was a fight though)

Post cam:
-Water pump was replaced
-Battery was replaced
-Of course all cosmetic issues were taken care of with no problems
Old 09-13-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

my response to them about the axles is that it made the rear end more sturdy...

i just want to get her fixed...that it...
Old 09-13-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any update for the V cole? Hope things work out for the better with it...
Old 09-13-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

no update yet.

i need a beer.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

I'm sure you already got that covered! Lol
Old 09-13-2010, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

UPDATE...

got the call from the dealership. the problem is the right rear axle. the spines on the axle out stripped off.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:41 PM

Talking Broke

Me thinks you broke yur brain then yur bank account.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

UPDATE...

got the call from the dealership. the problem is the right rear axle. the spines on the axle out stripped off.
So the outer stub stripped out in the cv?
Old 09-13-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Regular

Splines stripped???? Sounds like a defective axle stub to me.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

i am going to be calling them back today, and run a few more questions by them. just to make sure that something isnt wrong too.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

when i talked to the service manager, i ask specifically is there anything wrong with the CVs, and i was told no.

but now i am being told that they think my clutch is about go...but i dont like that "we think there may something wrong with it". the insincerity i heard in the guys voice, made me just a little bit nervous.

which its never a good thing to drop a car off in a state that your car doesnt have plates for. i think they realize that i am kinda over a barrel right now.

edit: also having a car at a dealer that it would be a long fight to have a warranty claim...a fight that i really have anytime for right now.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

when i talked to the service manager, i ask specifically is there anything wrong with the CVs, and i was told no.

but now i am being told that they think my clutch is about go...but i dont like that "we think there may something wrong with it". the insincerity i heard in the guys voice, made me just a little bit nervous.

which its never a good thing to drop a car off in a state that your car doesnt have plates for. i think they realize that i am kinda over a barrel right now.

edit: also having a car at a dealer that it would be a long fight to have a warranty claim...a fight that i really have anytime for right now.
Man that sucks *****...I know it's gotta be a heartbreaker. I was a service writer for a Toyota dealer and my brother still is.....The service writer does have a little leeway in the warranty claims. In a vehicle that is known to be a highly modified model...V...My issues were Tacoma's and Tundra's with lifts and wheels and tire mods, the service mgr would step in and write it off. Unless they are trying to shaft you...which never makes sense because the service advisors, mgr and tech all get paid the same hrs and rate whether it be a warranty claim or customer pay, you should be okay...I know you're waaaay outta town and may not have the convenience of hanging around the shop, but i always tried my best to hook someone up that was willing to hang around and bs a little. BEST OF LUCK....If you ever make it around Bama I gotcha covered on that beer

Quick Reply: something broke... *Now with Pics of the Axle*