Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

something broke... *Now with Pics of the Axle*

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010 | 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

here are the pics of my passenger axle i got.

Old 09-20-2010 | 12:46 AM
TECH Regular

Dang, that sucks. If I was close enough, I'd just do it for you in about 40 min. Sucks.
Old 09-20-2010 | 04:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

This is why i do all my own Installs cause if something goes wrong there is no one to blame but myself. Hope everything works out i wouldnt be happy unless there was a brand new axle on its way!

Keith
Old 09-20-2010 | 05:49 AM
Launching!

I installed my axles. There is a good write up on the other forum on how to install the axles. There should be hardly any splines showing when it’s installed correctly. I put a block of wood on the floor and drove the CV joint and axle into the block of wood. (CV joint impacting the wood) The weight and momentum of the axle seated inside the CV joint after about 5-7 hits. It’s very difficult to generate enough force with a any type of hammer to get it seated correctly.
Old 09-20-2010 | 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tityrous
This is why i do all my own Installs cause if something goes wrong there is no one to blame but myself. Hope everything works out i wouldnt be happy unless there was a brand new axle on its way!

Keith
i will be talking to the shop that installed and see what they are willing to do to make it right...and i already know what needs to happen in order for it to be made right. the only reason i took in to a shop is to have the parts installed is that i really didnt want to do anything (and i mean ANYTHING) but relax while i was on leave. but half of my leave now has been spent figure out what the hell happen to my car.

Originally Posted by branland
I installed my axles. There is a good write up on the other forum on how to install the axles. There should be hardly any splines showing when it’s installed correctly. I put a block of wood on the floor and drove the CV joint and axle into the block of wood. (CV joint impacting the wood) The weight and momentum of the axle seated inside the CV joint after about 5-7 hits. It’s very difficult to generate enough force with a any type of hammer to get it seated correctly.
Chris told me the same thing, in not so many words. and that when the axle is in, it should be VERY hard to remove them from the CV joint. but the guys that have done this, i believe have installed these axles before.
Old 09-20-2010 | 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
Chris told me the same thing, in not so many words. and that when the axle is in, it should be VERY hard to remove them from the CV joint. but the guys that have done this, i believe have installed these axles before.
Yep, they installed my driver side axle. I did the passenger side and had no intention of doing the other. Chris sent the axle to SNL and they put it in.

Sorry for your troubles.
Old 09-20-2010 | 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ no worries...troubles are bound to happen with any car you mod. and after joining here, i started to realize that this Car comes with a lot of quirks.
Old 09-20-2010 | 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ no worries...troubles are bound to happen with any car you mod. and after joining here, i started to realize that this Car comes with a lot of quirks.
Yes it does!

I dont plan on heading back to SNL till the weather is cooler. I guess you'll see their new shop before I do. I think Steve said they have 10k-12k square feet now. You can work on a lot of cars in that area!
Old 09-20-2010 | 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

i did drive by where the new shop will be, and it is HUGE. a lot better then the 2 or 3 cars they can get in the current set up.

but i will be going back in again when its cooler to have a monster clutch and new tranny mount installed in February. and i will do another dyno run and tune then to see what number i get with a new 18 lbs fly wheel.
Old 09-20-2010 | 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

i did drive by where the new shop will be, and it is HUGE. a lot better then the 2 or 3 cars they can get in the current set up.

but i will be going back in again when its cooler to have a monster clutch and new tranny mount installed in February. and i will do another dyno run and tune then to see what number i get with a new 18 lbs fly wheel.
I picked up 11rwhp and 8rwtq with Monster level 2 clutch/18lb flywheel. It was done on an independent dyno, not SNL's.
Old 09-20-2010 | 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by whisler151
I picked up 11rwhp and 8rwtq with Monster level 2 clutch/18lb flywheel. It was done on an independent dyno, not SNL's.
not bad at all. and i bet she shifts way WAY better now too.
Old 09-20-2010 | 08:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

i will be talking to the shop that installed and see what they are willing to do to make it right...and i already know what needs to happen in order for it to be made right. the only reason i took in to a shop is to have the parts installed is that i really didnt want to do anything (and i mean ANYTHING) but relax while i was on leave. but half of my leave now has been spent figure out what the hell happen to my car.

that is defiantly understandable being on leave and all!
Old 09-20-2010 | 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How long were your axles installed before this happens?

I would make them check the other side while they are at it too (the original installing shop, not the caddy dealer...)

Last edited by Fuzzy_Wuzzy; 09-20-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-20-2010 | 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

they were installed about 3 and a half weeks before this happened. and the Caddy dealer checked both axles already. nothing wrong with the driver side, at least thats what they told me.
Old 09-21-2010 | 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

i love it when i call leave messages and i get no phone call back. and they have now had the V for 9 days. but one they were closed (sunday) and the other 2 the guys working on it had the day off. so 6 days sitting in there, and all i told them i wanted was the axle shoved back in there and tightened up really good. and then change the Tranny and Clutch fluid. does that really take 3 days to do (the first 3 days it was being check over and all that jazz). i think they really want me to replace the clutch, but i told them no because i dont think its going out. i tell them the clutch still has plenty of grip and doesnt feel like its slipping. which could be the reason they are moving even slower. but there is NO WAY IN HELL i am paying for 7 hours of labor at $120 an hour for them to change the clutch and only the clutch (and i have told them that on 2 sperate times). and i vaguely remember one time when i told him that i do not want to change the clutch, the service conslutant said "well my tranny guy is off, so i will have him look at the clutch when he get back". didnt really catch it untill after i was off the phone with him.

this dealer is about 20 minutes from getting a really nasty phone call from me.
Old 09-21-2010 | 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn that sucks. If it makes you feel better our wrecked SRX has been at the San Antonio Cadillac dealership for over a month waiting on parts. The wife is stuck driving an Impalla. lol

When will it be ready?..."don't know, a lot of parts are backordered, sorry."
Old 09-21-2010 | 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

well...i got a hold of someone there...

THEY HAVEN'T EVEN STARTED WORKING ON THE CAR!!!

the axle isnt installed and they have changed the fluid out in the Clutch and Tranny
Old 09-22-2010 | 08:52 AM
Launching!

well...i got a hold of someone there...

THEY HAVEN'T EVEN STARTED WORKING ON THE CAR!!!

the axle isnt installed and they have changed the fluid out in the Clutch and Tranny

sounds like the usual dealer run around. Be sure to check your mileage when you get the car back and good luck witht that.
Old 09-22-2010 | 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

car had 35475 on the clock when i left her there.
Old 09-22-2010 | 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Man that sucks.. wernt you supposed to be back a few days ago too? Oh id be sooooo fing pissed bro! If you make it back before this Saturday were celebrating my homegirls birthday in the shops of legacy! A DJ will be playing at Taco diner followed by an afterparty on the roof

Quick Reply: something broke... *Now with Pics of the Axle*