Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

something broke... *Now with Pics of the Axle*

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am not worried about the warrant too much right now. but the main thing i am worried about is when the said "we arent sure, but we think the clutch is bad". to me that sounds like they are saying "we will say its bad so you have to get a new one".

the clutch pedal still has a firm feel and it pops back up when i depress the pedal. but that doesnt mean the clutch is starting to go...which is entirely possible.

but i may just drive it until it fails...or i get the extra money together for a monster set up.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Let that dealer patch the axle. When you get home take it to a dealer you trust.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Remo
Let that dealer patch the axle. When you get home take it to a dealer you trust.
i dont think they can patch up that axle. and if they could, i am not sure it could make the 1600 miles from California to DFW...or if i could trust them to patch the Gforce Axle.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Just cause they say the clutch is going doesn't mean you have to do it right then. And how did they come to that conclusion anyway? How do they think the clutch is going out? Either it is or it isn't. I would ask them what events took place that led them to believe the clutch was on the verge of giving up the ghost.

Also, I think there are a couple guys on the caddy forums that have replaced stock axles with DSS/Hendrix or gforce axles. Maybe they can get one to you so you dont have to foot the bill for a new one and then you can have the gForce axle rebuilt or replaced when you get home. I think i remember you saying you're still under warranty but just incase they dont honor it because of the axles.

It would also be nice to know exactly what broke. Were the splines stripped off the axle? The stub?

Last edited by raven154; 09-15-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
i am not worried about the warrant too much right now. but the main thing i am worried about is when the said "we arent sure, but we think the clutch is bad". to me that sounds like they are saying "we will say its bad so you have to get a new one".

the clutch pedal still has a firm feel and it pops back up when i depress the pedal. but that doesnt mean the clutch is starting to go...which is entirely possible.

but i may just drive it until it fails...or i get the extra money together for a monster set up.
Yeah I was told that mine was "goin bad" about a month ago...gonna ride it till the end and go LS7
Old 09-15-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by raven154
Just cause they say the clutch is going doesn't mean you have to do it right then. And how did they come to that conclusion anyway? How do they think the clutch is going out? Either it is or it isn't. I would ask them what events took place that led them to believe the clutch was on the verge of giving up the ghost.

Also, I think there are a couple guys on the caddy forums that have replaced stock axles with DSS/Hendrix or gforce axles. Maybe they can get one to you so you dont have to foot the bill for a new one and then you can have the gForce axle rebuilt or replaced when you get home. I think i remember you saying you're still under warranty but just incase they dont honor it because of the axles.

It would also be nice to know exactly what broke. Were the splines stripped off the axle? The stub?
the splines on the inner part of the axles. no damage to the stub.

and as far as the clutch goes, that was excactly what i was thinking...i am going to ride to i can see the signs that it is really going. like the plate starts to slip or i lose firmness in the pedal. you know, the normal indicators of a bad clutch.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

By patching, I was thinking of a used one from a junkyard or something.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

the axle splines are not striped as bad as i thought. only about 3/16" are missing. looks like the axle was never fully seated into the axle stub.The axle spline witness lines show that the axle was only about half way (if that) into the CV joint. so all the trouble now are due installer error.

also since there is only a little bit stripped, i should be able to reinstall the axle into the CV and it should hold. i have ran this by a couple other mechanics i know, and they agree with that as well. it should hold as long as i dont due any hard corning or anything to shake the axle lose.

so i will be babying to car back to Texas, and taking her back into SNL...
Old 09-16-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that sounds like a decent turnout for you. i hope you plan to replace that axle when you get back though and not put it in hoping itll last. if its installer error id be having the installer pay for a new axle.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
that sounds like a decent turnout for you. i hope you plan to replace that axle when you get back though and not put it in hoping itll last. if its installer error id be having the installer pay for a new axle.
i will most defiantly be replacing that axle. the fact that it can be reseated is a huge benefit in my favor, but by no mean do i consider it a permanent fix.

and before i even think about driving home, i will be driving the car around for a little bit of time. and then have my sister and brother in laws mechanic give the car a once over to make sure everything still looks good.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the "snap ring" on the outer cv may be the culprit, if it was too loose it would slowly let the axle slide out, so it may have been installed ok.

the axle wouldn't strip till it was out most of the way
Old 09-17-2010, 03:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Wuzzy
the "snap ring" on the outer cv may be the culprit, if it was too loose it would slowly let the axle slide out, so it may have been installed ok.

the axle wouldn't strip till it was out most of the way
I still wouldn't consider that being installed ok. They messed up somewhere whether it was the snap ring not getting seated correctly or what, still falls on the installer.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bamacaddy
Yeah I was told that mine was "goin bad" about a month ago...gonna ride it till the end and go LS7
HAHA.
I'm with you on that.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GhettoTy
I still wouldn't consider that being installed ok. They messed up somewhere whether it was the snap ring not getting seated correctly or what, still falls on the installer.
Yeah it is something that needs to be checked during install, Just wanted to be sure somebody didn't read this and think wow they only installed it that much (and maybe give them something else to check when they install to be sure this doesn't happen to them)

I know installing my axles it is almost nerve wracking looking at those snap rings and hoping they are in a good position, open too wide and you can't get it in. Too close and it will go in, but you won't find out it is bad till too late.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

from anything i heard for the different parties i have talked to, it was more then like a combo a things.

the axle wasnt seated properly into the CV and the retaining clip wasnt properly secured.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

from anything i heard for the different parties i have talked to, it was more then like a combo a things.

the axle wasnt seated properly into the CV and the retaining clip wasnt properly secured.
That's not hard to do. The first axle my buddy and I installed on his V popped out on our test run. Apparently we had it seated incorrectly and the retaining pin did not hold it in. There is not much room for error.

I'm sure SNL will do the right thing.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:34 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Now that I think of it, I had the exact same problem and it came apart. Luckily no damage whatsoever was done to mine. I had to replace the spring clip that came with my Gforce axle with the stock one.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

god, i hate Cadillac dealerships...
Old 09-19-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

god, i hate Cadillac dealerships...
Hopefully you get the car back soon.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

they have had it 7 days now. and i told them what has to happen, and what i want done on wednesday. and they havent even started working on it yet.

i told them to jam the axle back in the and get it good and tight. and i want to change the Tranny and Clutch fluid. the way i figure that should take about an hour to an hour and a half...

when i called them on friday for the second time, i was told that the service tech that has my car was off til monday. and my response was, you only have 1 tech in the service area?

i really dont like being stuck almost 1600 miles from home, with no way to get around.

Quick Reply: something broke... *Now with Pics of the Axle*