Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Busted CCW

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 01:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Busted CCW

My left front wheel is leaking air through the rim and now my right side went flat. Hope its good news in the mourning and just my tire and not my rim again.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

you don't have the 505a's by chance do you? i had the same problem a few weeks ago with my right front side and just the other day i noticed a small crack in the same spot on the left side.

i spoke with John and he explained that the area that cracks from time to time has to do with the forging process. it has to be PEERRFECT otherwise, due to how thin the metal is in that area due to wheel design, it may open up after time and create a leak.

excellent company to deal with though - they had a new wheel made and got me back on the road in short order. i didn't even have to pay for shipping.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:43 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by blk04V
you don't have the 505a's by chance do you? i had the same problem a few weeks ago with my right front side and just the other day i noticed a small crack in the same spot on the left side.

i spoke with John and he explained that the area that cracks from time to time has to do with the forging process. it has to be PEERRFECT otherwise, due to how thin the metal is in that area due to wheel design, it may open up after time and create a leak.

excellent company to deal with though - they had a new wheel made and got me back on the road in short order. i didn't even have to pay for shipping.
Same exact thing happened to me with my SP600s, but with a slight twist. I had hit a curb pulling into a parking spot years ago and gouged the passenger side wheel. It looked kinda crappy, but I didn't think anything more of it since it was such a low speed impact. Well, about 2 years later, I was constantly getting an air leak on that side. I finally figured out it was from a hairline crack in the wheel where the spoke meets the wheel hoop. It must have been the couple years of hot and very cold temps that finally caused the fracture to get large enough to actually allow air to leak through.

At the end, John sent me a brand new wheel, and paid for the shipping for me to send my old wheel to him, and to get the new wheel to me. It didn't cost me a dime, and I was up and running in about 2 weeks.

EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE from CCW!!!
Old 09-25-2010, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Agreed! I got mine second hand but without a doubt, when it comes time to buy a brand new pair CCW will be the option I'll consider. There are many other good wheel manufactures out there but their customer service is either lacking or non-existent.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I broke a spoke on my left front 505A while racing at Motorsport Ranch earlier this year.

John at CCW had a new wheel in about a week and a half at no cost to me.

I think these are excellent street rims, but I'm currently looking for a good set of track rims as even John admitted that the profile of the 505A is not a great design for serious track use.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

Ya I have the 505a's. I have not hit anything to crack them.
I should have my left front back tomorrow.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:01 AM
Launching!

I just got 505A's on my SS. I sure hope this doesn't happen to them.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:45 AM
On The Tree

^^^ from what i understand, these issues are specific to the V offset. in order to run with the little bit of lip that they have, the material (usually at the point of the where the spoke meets the rim) is very thin. any hiccup during the forging process can show itself later...

... in my mind, it's a non-issue because CCW is taking care of them
Old 09-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Launching!

^^^ from what i understand, these issues are specific to the V offset. in order to run with the little bit of lip that they have, the material (usually at the point of the where the spoke meets the rim) is very thin. any hiccup during the forging process can show itself later...

... in my mind, it's a non-issue because CCW is taking care of them
gotcha that makes sense. i only wish i could afford CCWs for my V.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:04 PM
Launching!

They took good care of me when I had to order a new rim due to car accident. Had a new one here very quickly. No problems on the rims from any process-related mistakes to date.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TexVette
They took good care of me when I had to order a new rim due to car accident. Had a new one here very quickly. No problems on the rims from any process-related mistakes to date.

Ya best customer service I ever experienced.
My first will was shipped monday.I called to tell them my other wheel is leaking air also , no questions asked said they would start on my other wheel immediately .Paid $0 shipping cost.

Quick Reply: Busted CCW