Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Procharger intake (With Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Procharger intake (With Pics)

There have been alot of questions lately about what is needed to procharge a V so here is part of it.
A couple of weeks ago me and my father decided to make a cold pipe for the procharger. A cold pipe was never built because of the tight clearences around the blower area. I use to run the blower with no pipe or filter so the blower would suck in the hot air from under the hood and heat soak everything quick. What a PITA this mod turned out to be, we had to use our best mexican engineering on this one. At some point i honestly thought i had ruined my car beyond repair LOL. Talk about mod hell. We used mild steel pipe since it is welded onto the strut tower and is now part of the body's structure! This should have been a job with the engine removed.

We managed to wedge a 4" pipe and a 9" K&N filter in there. The pipe had to clear the upper control arm twice, clear the spring and clear the tire. Its not pretty by anymeans nor is it perfect but it works for my intended purposes.

On some of the pictures you can see where the front strut tower wall has been cut and pushed back to make room to fit the blower.Also note under the procharger the frame rail has been notched so that the pipe can clear the tire. The tire would still rub on the pipe as you can see but i have since gone with a norrower tire.

On this picture you can see how close the pipe needed to be to the header to clear the spring. The headers are jet hot coated and wrapped. And the pipe has since been covered with heat mat to reflect the radiant heat from the header.

Here is what it looks like today a couple a weeks after being done. We welded everything up again and painted the area and reaplied the under coating. The tire is rubbing a little on the rear when the wheel is locked to the left. I think its a minor compromise considering the clearences we had to work with. the inner panels fit just like stock and cover the filter really well. The rear panel is removed for the picture. pictures make it look so easy but don't do the work justice.

This is a great picture because you can see how the filter tucks under the body really nice and with the panel in place it is snugged in even more. Also note how the header is close to the filter so i will be making a shield out of aluminum sheet to cover the header to isolate the filter from the heat of the headers.

All this for an intake pipe
Old 11-23-2010, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

like you said...pretty, no...perfect, no...but functional, and thats all that really matters, you did very nice work for the very little space we have. thanks for the pictures. .
Old 11-23-2010, 03:39 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

This may seem like a stupid question, so feel free to flame. I have limited experience with custom FI set ups. Would it be possible to install an inter-cooler after the hot air intake you previously had to cool the charge? And maybe even add a meth kit for additional boost cooling. It seems like a whole lot of trouble just to pull in cool air when there could be a means to cool the air instead.

Your input is appreciated and your actions are commended for not many have the ***** to mod as such. Good job.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

There is an intercooler post blower. The intake tube was just to get filtered air because the procharger is an F1A. In other words, its big and there is no room.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

yeah the pipe serves the dual purpose of filtering the air and pulling in fresh air rushing under the car. Before it would pull the air from the engine bay with the header literall four inches away. And yes it has an intercooler, which would become inefficient because the entire setup would become heat soaked from the hot air being sucked in and then being compressed. Meth is coming soon to keep air temps down.

The hardest part was getting over the first cut after that i was comitted. We did this on our backs in the driveway, should have seen the face of everyone that came by and saw it all cut up lol.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

can you get a few snaps from the top ?
Old 11-23-2010, 10:11 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NEED MO POWA!
yeah the pipe serves the dual purpose of filtering the air and pulling in fresh air rushing under the car. Before it would pull the air from the engine bay with the header literall four inches away. And yes it has an intercooler, which would become inefficient because the entire setup would become heat soaked from the hot air being sucked in and then being compressed. Meth is coming soon to keep air temps down.

The hardest part was getting over the first cut after that i was comitted. We did this on our backs in the driveway, should have seen the face of everyone that came by and saw it all cut up lol.
I understand now. What were your previous IAT's? What's your goal after meth kit for IAT's and HP/TQ? Your not too far from me. I'm in Waco.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow... u have a top shot of the blower mounted?
Old 12-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Launching!

Cripes!
Old 12-04-2010, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
wow... u have a top shot of the blower mounted?
Here's a one someone took this morning at cars and coffee
http://picasaweb.google.com/11819387...21886694504354
Old 12-04-2010, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

WOW simply beautiful
Old 12-04-2010, 11:50 PM
Launching!

I just went through all 300+ of those pics. WOW! That's ONE HELL of a car show!!
Old 12-05-2010, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

geez i forgot how tight of a fit it is.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:18 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mhhamrhead
I just went through all 300+ of those pics. WOW! That's ONE HELL of a car show!!
First weekend of every month too! Its amazing how many turn out for it EVERY time.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by icecream
WOW simply beautiful
thanks man, just need to do something about the battery its really distracting, any suggestions?

Yeah that show is huge, saw 4 other v1's and another 4 v2's only got to talk to one v1 owner and one v2. Was anyone from here out there?
Old 12-05-2010, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that a ron davis radiator you have?
Old 12-05-2010, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Vness
Is that a ron davis radiator you have?
yeah it's a ron davis
Old 12-07-2010, 07:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah it's a ron davis
Where did you buy it from? I think there goin for $800 right?
Old 12-07-2010, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Vness
Where did you buy it from? I think there goin for $800 right?
Not sure where the shop that installed it several years ago got it from, don't know what they're going for nowadays.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Launching!

thanks man, just need to do something about the battery its really distracting, any suggestions?

Yeah that show is huge, saw 4 other v1's and another 4 v2's only got to talk to one v1 owner and one v2. Was anyone from here out there?
I was in one of the black v1's. Your car sounds SICK!!!!!! I was headed in one direction till I heard you. By the time I found your car, you were gone though. I was parked about two rows from the other 2 black Vs near Drink, but had to leave around 9. I hope to make the next event (although getting up at 6 a.m. New Years Day may be a little difficult ). Maybe we can ride in together or save spots for other V's?

Quick Reply: Procharger intake (With Pics)