Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

which short throw to go with

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which short throw to go with

Recently I purchased an 04V with a tad over 100k miles on it. Car is in great condition you really couldn't tell it had a bunch of miles on it because it looks like a 40k mile car. Anywho, he biggest give away on the mileage of this car is the shifter. I understand these stock shifters are pretty sloppy anyways but this one is a real pain in my ****. So i've been doing research on a replacement short throw which I planned on doing anyways before I even bought the car and was just looking for a little insight. I have done some searching and talked to some people but mostly F-body guys, not many people I know have V's... None actually. I've been looking around jegs, summit, and just searching and narrowed it down to 3. First one is a pro 5.0 which comes very highly recommended to me from a bunch of f-body guys who have gone thru multiple shifters. They say they prefer this one to the others. The second is the B&M shifter. I read a thread from 09 and found lots of good reviews about this one and it sounds what i'm looking for a good tight short throw thats precise. The sloppyness of this stocker is killing me!! Then the third is the UUC shifter. I've heard good and bad about this one and from i've read iirc its kinda sloppy and a pita to instal. Plus I really don't want to shell out that much money for a shifter. The other one I forgot to mention is the hurst original short throw. Haven't been able to find any reviews on this one but i've always had the hurst's in my old muscle cars and never a problem so I don't want to write it off. No matter what I get I wanna put the hurst black pistol grip handle on there so hopefully it;s compatible with whatever I get. Any insight is much appreciated. Thanks guys
Old 05-20-2011, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On here his name is 07cts-v. On Cadillac forums it's pisnuoff. His name is Brian. He has the best shifter (in my opinion). In terms of quality compared to price. A+ from me
Old 05-20-2011, 03:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a B&M. Works fine but is kind of clunky on shifts. But I think thats more of a result of the transmission than anything else. I've heard that the 6 speeds used in the higher end Saleen Mustangs are actually the same transmission as the Caddy, and they're clunky too despite having a Saleen short throw. I say that because my mustangs shift/shifter is smooth as butter, so I know its not the short throw setup itself.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Launching!

Go with Brian's (pisnuoff's) shifter. It's an awesome modified stock shifter that gives the shortest throw, no additional noise, and is the cheapest. You can't go wrong. Be sure to get the UUC bushings as well.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

TWM is also about to release a short throw for our transmissions. I've always liked theirs
Old 05-20-2011, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got the Katech shifter and really like it. Still did the uuc bushings but half the cost of their shifter.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:56 PM

does anyone have a pro 5.0 in a V?
Old 05-21-2011, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by .Houdini.
Go with Brian's (pisnuoff's) shifter. It's an awesome modified stock shifter that gives the shortest throw, no additional noise, and is the cheapest. You can't go wrong. Be sure to get the UUC bushings as well.
You don't need the bushings, just clamp down the metal around the stock bushings. They'll tighten up.

As for the front bushings, just wrap those in about 3 layers of electrical tape and reinstall. It makes everything nice and solid.

Replace the stock bolt at the bottom of the shifter lever (that goes inside the metal bushing part) with a shouldered bolt. The fully threaded bolt will get its threads mangled by the steel spacer thing and eventually make your clutch feel loose.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:56 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by killernoodle
You don't need the bushings, just clamp down the metal around the stock bushings. They'll tighten up.

As for the front bushings, just wrap those in about 3 layers of electrical tape and reinstall. It makes everything nice and solid.

Replace the stock bolt at the bottom of the shifter lever (that goes inside the metal bushing part) with a shouldered bolt. The fully threaded bolt will get its threads mangled by the steel spacer thing and eventually make your clutch feel loose.

Good info man. Are you familiar with fiberglass tape (1/2")? How long have you had the elec. Tape used as filler? I'm wondering if it has the ability to degradate and re-introduce the sloppy feel.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by -T-
Good info man. Are you familiar with fiberglass tape (1/2")? How long have you had the elec. Tape used as filler? I'm wondering if it has the ability to degradate and re-introduce the sloppy feel.
How about some of that new Silicone tape that seems to be the rave thing on late night infomercials?

I just ordered new bushings. If there's still an extreme amount of slop I may just try some of these.

-meaty
Old 05-22-2011, 08:49 AM
Teching In

Get PISNUOFFs shifter as stated above. Very nice. Also pick up a GTO/Holden/Commodore shift **** and boot from Australia. The weight of the **** makes the shifting that much better and the boot is nice leather that matches the V interior perfectly. There a detailed post on the other forum with how to order and install instruction. They're about $145 shipped from down under. One of my favorite mods.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike05V
Get PISNUOFFs shifter as stated above. Very nice. Also pick up a GTO/Holden/Commodore shift **** and boot from Australia. The weight of the **** makes the shifting that much better and the boot is nice leather that matches the V interior perfectly. There a detailed post on the other forum with how to order and install instruction. They're about $145 shipped from down under. One of my favorite mods.
This sounds pretty neat, got a link to this, and maybe a snapshot or two of your interior?

-meaty
Old 05-22-2011, 02:23 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd say go with one of my shifters as well. It'll be a few weeks before I can ship anymore out, though. My die shop ran out of material for my bushings and is having trouble getting more.

Brian
Old 05-22-2011, 02:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by meatyCTS-V
This sounds pretty neat, got a link to this, and maybe a snapshot or two of your interior?

-meaty
It's all here
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...to-holden.html

Last edited by Mike05V; 05-23-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Brian's shifter is the best option.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike05V
Thanks for the link. I'm kinda annoyed I already bought a new boot from Redline. The shifter definitely looks much more baller than the stock one!

I can't wait to get the Redline boot, though.

-meaty
Old 05-22-2011, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Brian's shifter is the business.

The second I finished the install, I kicked myself for waiting so long. Now that it has "broken in", I love it even more.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another Option.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...fter-70-a.html
Old 05-23-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

PISNUOFF....love this shifter!
Old 05-24-2011, 01:23 PM
Teching In

I'm sure it's been said plenty already, but go with Brian's shifter!

Quick Reply: which short throw to go with