Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

LS6 Whipple neaaaarly done...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 01:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update, sort of. Blower is working like it should, engine is working like it should.
By-pass valve is working, no vacumm leaks. But my IATs are sitting at 140*F
and the tuner can't get past 3* of timming without detonation (on pump gas)
Talked to Peter at DRE and I got two solutions, meth injection or his bigger intercooler. Looks like I'm maxing out the small intercooler that came with it.
The bigger intercooler may not fit under my hood even though mine has extra clearance, the pulley might hit.
So, I think I'm going to go meth for the time being, no other choice if I want this thing to work any time soon.
I knew the small intercooler was going to be an issue at some point, but not on my stock block.
I think my tuner already hates me.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

Here's the Meth kit I ordered, dual nozzle with braided lines.
https://www.alcoholinjectionsystems....roducts_id=101
Old 06-13-2011, 03:03 PM
TECH Regular

thats a pretty nice meth kid tommy
Old 06-13-2011, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Ahh, nothing like a nice stroll through mod hell.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can you take some pics of the meth kit installed in your car if you dont mind?
Old 06-14-2011, 08:23 AM
12 Second Club

For those wanting video, here's mine on the dyno:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lma1e...e_gdata_player
Old 06-14-2011, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

What pump gas are you using? Do you know what temp your IATs are at?
Mine are anywher between 140-160* F at the dyno they even got up to 170.5. that's with the intercooler.
I understand the LS6 has a little less compression ratio 10.5:1 as opposed to my Ls2 with 10.9:1.
But I can't get any timing out of it they, they set it to 0* any more and I would get detonation.
I'm not sure if they zerod out any tables on the Iat to prevent the computer from pulling timing.
but i can't get into boost at all without throwing random misfire codes, I'm not sure if that because of the tune or what.
I may have to take the blower off for now because I don't have the funds or the time to keep going for now.
Peter at DRE said I could buy a HP tuner software and he could walk me through it by sending him files.

Last edited by tommycompton; 06-14-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tommycompton
What pump gas are you using? Do you know what temp your IATs are at?
he said 140 IAT temps
Old 06-14-2011, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Mike,

You added meth injection later didn't you? Or did you start out with it.

-Mark
Old 06-14-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

Hey Tommy, can you go up a pulley size for now rather than pulling the blower?
Old 06-14-2011, 04:12 PM
TECH Resident

I'm sure I could not sure how much it would help. I'm just tired of not having my car on the road and don't want to spend more money on tuning right now.
I have a road trip coing up and I want to drive the V.
I have a meh kit on the way and I guess I'm going to look into the bigger intercooler for it (over the winter). Maybe I'll pick up HP tuners at some point.
Also looking forward to your progress.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:21 PM
12 Second Club

I use 91 octane fuel. I've always had the meth since I've had the blower, initially it was my only source of intercooling. Keep in mind, as you mentioned I have an LS6 with lower compression to begin with, and on top of that I'm running the 317 heads which drops the compression more. Also, I'm running the largest pulley which is 4 5/8". My guess is that with your stock compression ratio and smaller pulley, when the bypass valve closes you've got way too much dynamic compression. Combine that with higher IATs and I believe you have your answer.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Black Majick
I use 91 octane fuel. I've always had the meth since I've had the blower, initially it was my only source of intercooling. Keep in mind, as you mentioned I have an LS6 with lower compression to begin with, and on top of that I'm running the 317 heads which drops the compression more. Also, I'm running the largest pulley which is 4 5/8". My guess is that with your stock compression ratio and smaller pulley, when the bypass valve closes you've got way too much dynamic compression. Combine that with higher IATs and I believe you have your answer.
That right there sums it up for me, and makes sense.
Not what the tuner said "that blower is too big, the intercooler is too small" "the numbers don't lie crap.
I'm hoping just meth will clear it up for now, your running meth probably makes world of difference making higher octane and cooling.
Dre has posted a LS2 w/ 4.5" pulley, so if all else is under check 6-8 PSI should be OK.
I'm gettig random misfires but not sure if it's the tune or from fouled spark plugs running it on my rich safe tune. Would the tuner be able to tell the difference between misfire and detonation on EFI live?
Old 06-14-2011, 11:40 PM
12 Second Club

I would think yes but I haven't used EFI live in a very long time so I'm not certain. I would definitely pull the plugs to find out what's going on with them. Should be easy to tell if they are fouled or not. Tuning can be hell on plugs, may as well check the gaps while they're out too.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:59 AM
TECH Regular

If you want to be 100% sure you are, or are not getting knock, build a pair of these. http://www.enginebasics.com/EFI%20Tu...et%20Cans.html

The stock knock sensors can mistake valve train noise for knock, especially in cammed cars..... Maybe the blower is making noise/vibration that the sensors are picking up as knock, who knows.

The "blower is too big, intercooler is too small" is hard for me to believe. There are cobras running a 3.3L whipples on 4.6L and 5.0L motors, no?

Last edited by GulfM3; 06-15-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

I don't know what the did with my tune but my ambient air temp is sitting at 91 on my dash daq and on my DIC it reads 61*F. That's saying my air temp is 30* hotter than ambient even before my car is started.
My engine could be pulling timing even before it needs to.
I think I may go with a KillerChiller(runs off the AC) on top of my meth kit too, even if the intercooler isn't overly efficient the killer chiller should help even before my meth kicks on at around 5 psi.
Pulled a couple plugs, they aren't fouled looking but obviously running rich.
Also my fuel rail was leaking at the end cap, fixed that.
Going to pull my plugs on the other bank and OHM check my wires again too.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:46 PM
12 Second Club

I'd spring for a new IAT sensor to see if it makes any difference. Also, did you check the gap on the plugs?
Old 06-16-2011, 09:05 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tommycompton
I don't know what the did with my tune but my ambient air temp is sitting at 91 on my dash daq and on my DIC it reads 61*F. That's saying my air temp is 30* hotter than ambient even before my car is started.
My engine could be pulling timing even before it needs to.
I think I may go with a KillerChiller(runs off the AC) on top of my meth kit too, even if the intercooler isn't overly efficient the killer chiller should help even before my meth kicks on at around 5 psi.
Pulled a couple plugs, they aren't fouled looking but obviously running rich.
Also my fuel rail was leaking at the end cap, fixed that.
Going to pull my plugs on the other bank and OHM check my wires again too.
The Intake Air Temp can be misleading at idle, most of the air going into the motor is being pulled through the bypass valve which can skew the reading if the IAT sensor is not near the valve. On my maggie setup before I went TT the IAT's would read 140 at idle.The motor was breathing through the bypass valve and no air was passing over the IAT sensor.

The killer Chiller kit is a great idea, I always wanted to try it out on my maggie kit but never got around to it.

Do you have any other tuners in the area? Has this tuner ever done a whipple car before? I hate to sound like a nag, but I still believe something isn't right with your setup. Installing meth, killer chiller, larger intercooler, etc is all just a band aide fix, you need to find the root problem and fix that.

Keep us posted!
Old 06-18-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

I'm in mod hell... Mod hell I tell you!!!

The shop that was to remove my broken bolt has now found a coolant leak on the back of the engine area. They believe it's near the back of the intercooler where they 'clearanced' a weld.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1BADCTS
I'm in mod hell... Mod hell I tell you!!!

The shop that was to remove my broken bolt has now found a coolant leak on the back of the engine area. They believe it's near the back of the intercooler where they 'clearanced' a weld.
Never ends.
I removed mine and all was well until my harmonic balancer decided to seperate, and belt shards decided to shred my maf sensor wire.
I ordered Hp tuners so when I get back from my trip Peter can walk me through tuning. I have high hopes for the meth kit and from what I have read it should work.
I thik I'm also going to get the solid Katech belt tensioner for the whipple, don't really trust the stock tensioner.

Quick Reply: LS6 Whipple neaaaarly done...