Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What's the verdict on MAP trailing arms?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011 | 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the verdict on MAP trailing arms?

As many of you have read in my other thread(s), I'm having issues with a set of Linea Corse Veneto wheels fitting my car.
MAP trailing arms will take care of one of the issues I'm having with the wheels, so I wanted to know what's up with them. I've read very mixed reviews on 'em and so I'm not totally sold on them yet (although there aren't really any more options). Can you guys tell me if the MAP arms are really that bad, or if it's usually an install mistake (IE not lubing the bushings) that leads to complaints?
Also, what's to installing them? Do I need a bushing removal/install tool or any other special tools?

Thanks guys!
Old 06-16-2011 | 09:33 PM
TECH Regular

I have no problems with mine. no special tools to install. did it in my garage. took a few hours, but not hard.
Old 06-16-2011 | 11:21 PM
TECH Resident

Do they come fully assembled, or do you have to install the bushings yourself? Reason I ask is because I'm not really sure of how exactly you lube these bushings.
As for the rest of the install, is it as simple as it looks? Front and rear bolts and that's it?
Old 06-19-2011 | 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone?
Old 06-19-2011 | 11:18 PM
TECH Resident

I havent installed the MAP trailing arms, but I have taken the stock suspension apart and put back together..nothing fancy just standard tools.
Old 06-20-2011 | 12:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably will have to drop the subframe like I'm going to have to. Whoever decided to put the bolts in from the top needs to have their brain removed and examined.
Old 06-20-2011 | 02:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by killernoodle
You probably will have to drop the subframe like I'm going to have to. Whoever decided to put the bolts in from the top needs to have their brain removed and examined.
Are we talking about the same thing? The trailing arms are are right behind the wheels
Old 06-20-2011 | 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The trailing arms are also bolted to the subframe farther forward on the car, so if you need to remove them you have to unbolt them from the front as well. My bolts were inserted in from the top, so once the subframe was bolted to the bottom of the car at the factory, it became impossible to remove the bolts without also dropping the subframe.

If they were inserted from the bottom, I'd just have to loosen the nut and drop them out to remove the trailing arms.
Old 06-20-2011 | 07:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Smile map

Not too sure, but if he still sells them the young pogue does not sell the rear bushings since they are defective....I have them on my 06V with stock silver rims widened to 9 3/4" with 285's..Will be buying newer bushings soon
Old 06-20-2011 | 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

Killernoodle - thanks for the heads up. In looking at pictures of the trailing arms themselves, I'm not quite sure of how or where that would attacth to the frame/subframe of the car though. I'll have to have a look at mine and see if this makes more sense then.

Greg O - sorry, can you explain? I've been speaking with Adam from MAP and he did mention that they haven't used rear bushings in their arms for a while now, which I wasnt sure how to take. Does this mean they scrapped the bushing and now use something else, or that I have to use the OEM bushing somehow, or that I have to purchase another bushing to go with the arms?
Unfortunately, MAP appears to be yet another vendor to be chased away from our community by a few members (from the other forum too). Apparently they were having issues with the product, MAP came good on their end, but these people weren't happy with their efforts. This chased Adam and MAP away from the forums and with that lack of contact with us, they lost interest in the market.
Needless to say, MAP trailing arms are no longer available, and now I'm stuck with over $2,000 worth of wheels and tires that don't fit my car.
Old 06-20-2011 | 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wes8398
Killernoodle - thanks for the heads up. In looking at pictures of the trailing arms themselves, I'm not quite sure of how or where that would attacth to the frame/subframe of the car though. I'll have to have a look at mine and see if this makes more sense then.

Greg O - sorry, can you explain? I've been speaking with Adam from MAP and he did mention that they haven't used rear bushings in their arms for a while now, which I wasnt sure how to take. Does this mean they scrapped the bushing and now use something else, or that I have to use the OEM bushing somehow, or that I have to purchase another bushing to go with the arms?
Unfortunately, MAP appears to be yet another vendor to be chased away from our community by a few members (from the other forum too). Apparently they were having issues with the product, MAP came good on their end, but these people weren't happy with their efforts. This chased Adam and MAP away from the forums and with that lack of contact with us, they lost interest in the market.
Needless to say, MAP trailing arms are no longer available, and now I'm stuck with over $2,000 worth of wheels and tires that don't fit my car.
The MAP arms just use the stock bushing now, they could not get eh poly bushings they were making to work right (the center tube was not strong enough)

they are still for sale on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAP-T...Q5fAccessories
Old 06-20-2011 | 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you looked under your car yet?

See how the nuts are on the bottom of the subframe instead of the top where they hit the body when you try to remove them.
Attached Thumbnails What's the verdict on MAP trailing arms?-bolts.jpg  
Old 06-20-2011 | 11:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

For a while map was selling the arms without rear bushing on fleabay and btw
Adam was not chased away he was booted off the cf for his incompetence..I too have 6 new tires 315 proxes and 315 pirelli's to sell now because of his cockyness and lack of knowledge..A few members who were a little familar with these arms said that a 295 might fit but no way a 315 can...but i took Adams word for it. my bad,,,, Also a 10 1/2" rim would be needed..I paid $600.00 to have my rims widened to 10 1/2 then had to get them narrowed and shaved for another $800.00...My rear red bushings have held up, BUT i have to put another 29'lbs. of tq. to them still...cause at 100'lbs. i was afraid the bushings would be crushed...

This is Adams first post ! he suckered me in

CTS-V Trailing Arms, More rubber....YES!
Well, just wanted to get a post together of everyone that would be interested in custom trailing arms for the CTS-V that will allow you to put up to a 325 tire under our car.
him..He seems to be doing real good selling garbage to ricers now..
Old 06-20-2011 | 11:55 PM
TECH Resident

Adam from MAP actually referred me to his install link over at the other forums. That basically answered all my questions (and clarified what you were talking about). Thanks!

Greg O - Just saw your reply after I posted the above. I wasn't involved and don't know all the politics behind it, so I'm just telling it like I saw it from brushing the surface by reading a number of MAP trailing arm topics. I couldn't help but see the familiarities between how he was being treated and how Max from Creative Steel has been treated in the past. Fortunately for us, Max didn't get booted or chased or whatever you want to call it.

Anyway, Adam has possibly sold his last set of trailing arms and they're not making any more. He's trying to see if they have another set lying around that I can scoop up, so my fingers are crossed. He confirmed with me that the arms have not been sold with the rear bushings for some time now, and that the oem rear bushings will and do hold up just fine. The issue that resulted in him not selling the arms with the rear bushings anymore was that the sleeve couldn't be properly produced and thus the bushing wouldn't fit 100% correctly. THat's how I understand it anyway...

Last edited by wes8398; 06-21-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old 06-21-2011 | 12:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thumbs up

Fortunately for us, Max didn't get booted or chased or whatever you want to call it.

Absolutely Wes... Max seems to be a stand up guy..I bought his mounts and they are exactly what he advertised..I did buy the latest black version with the heat shields..s up for Max...
Old 06-21-2011 | 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

I've read very mixed reviews on 'em
Where have you found mixed reviews? Other than the rear bushings they supplied (which you don't need to use) being unsuitable for use, I have yet to read a bad thing about them.

Originally Posted by JJSimon904
Originally Posted by killernoodle
Are we talking about the same thing? The trailing arms are are right behind the wheels
Yes, one end is behind the wheels attached to the rear knuckle. The other end is not, and as killernoodle said, you have to lower the cradle to get the front mounting bolt out.

The OEM bushing in the knuckle stays there. The front bushing is incorporated into the trailing arm, just like it is on the stock trailing arms:

Unfortunately, MAP appears to be yet another vendor to be chased away from our community by a few members (from the other forum too). Apparently they were having issues with the product, MAP came good on their end, but these people weren't happy with their efforts.
Sorry, but MAP never even remotely "came good on their end".

The issue that resulted in him not selling the arms with the rear bushings anymore was that the sleeve couldn't be properly produced and thus the bushing wouldn't fit 100% correctly. THat's how I understand it anyway...
The sleeve can be properly produced, but only by a company willing to competently engineer something, as opposed to cutting some thin-wall tubing on a band saw and expecting that to do the job.
Old 06-21-2011 | 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I couldn't help but see the familiarities between how he was being treated and how Max from Creative Steel has been treated in the past. Fortunately for us, Max didn't get booted or chased or whatever you want to call it.
I have dealt with both vendors. MAP had good intentions but things got away from him quickly when problems persisted. This caused him to leave the forum.

CS on the other hand has stood behind their product 100%. I just had a set of CS mounts fail and they sent me replacements the same week. That is why CS is still doing business on the the forum.
Old 06-21-2011 | 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

AAIIIC - Was it the rear busing that you had the 3 page arguement with Adam about regarding squeaking/creeking and greasing? Or was that the front joint that needs the lube before install?

Thankfully, Adam was able to get another set together for me. I just placed my order. Looks like I'm getting the last set of MAP trailing arms made. And guess what? Wheeldude is paying for 'em. Wicked customer service.
Old 06-21-2011 | 03:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default New bushings

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...one-5.htmlyour bushings are ready to order....check it out thanks to AAIIIC

Quick Reply: What's the verdict on MAP trailing arms?