Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Completely new stereo is in. No issues. What's the big deal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by .Houdini.
Very nice.

If you press the TC button twice within a couple seconds what makes you think you're NOT in competitive driving mode? Just because you no longer see the message on the oem nav screen or does the tc light go off after a quick 2nd press?

I've read a lot of these threads on both forums about replacing the oem nav unit and I don't remember anyone saying it would cause all kinds of problems or cause random door chimes and MILs in the dash. In fact, all I remember is that people indicated that it COULD prevent CDM and you would lose all the info messages that the oem unit displays like AC problems, security/starting problems, ice warnings, traction control engaged warning, stability control engaged warning, door ajar warnings, trunk ajar, oil change warning, temp warnings, coolant warning...etc (and of course all the info stuff like mpg, trip...). Those types of things might not matter to a lot of people but others would like to keep that functionality (hence the idea to move to trunk or move it down in the dash).
Well, I might be in CDM after two quick taps. That's true. And maybe I'm misunderstanding Stability Control. Doesn't that keep me from a big slip angle? If so, it's off (or able to be turned off) because I can go down the road sideways if I so desire. I'll play with it in the next day or two and see what difference I get out of one push, two, and a depressed hold.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:49 PM
Launching!

yeah if you're getting sideways a good amount and it is not reducing power on you, stability control is certainly off.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by johnny6
Looks good, i just ordered the base CTS DIC with cd player and i'll be gutting the cd player and installing a double din, this way i can keep all of my settings, messages, TC stability etc. etc.

See. This is what I'm talking about. You say "this way I can keep all of my... TC stability etc"

THEY DON'T GO AWAY.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

Johnny... What setup is that you showed a picture of? custom 1 of or a kit someone could make work?
Old 06-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CTSVBiggie
Johnny... What setup is that you showed a picture of? custom 1 of or a kit someone could make work?
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...y-audio-2.html
Old 06-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Blakt Out
See. This is what I'm talking about. You say "this way I can keep all of my... TC stability etc"

THEY DON'T GO AWAY.
True... but you also lost your trip computer/outside temp reading. I don't care about the MPG so much as the milage counters.

And for GOD SAKES, how will I know when its time to change my oil?!?!

<that last part was a joke>

But yeah, other than the outside temp and trip milage, I wouldn't care either.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

Too much work. Doesnt bother me that much.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

Yeah. Having a navi that doesn't suck is far more important to me than those things too, but I didn't include them in my initial post where I talk of what I lost. I forgot those. Good call. BTW - I bought the car, drove it a few miles till it hit a round number, and change the oil every time it hits a 5000. It's not THAT bad!
Old 06-21-2011, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pharoh
True... but you also lost your trip computer/outside temp reading. I don't care about the MPG so much as the milage counters.

And for GOD SAKES, how will I know when its time to change my oil?!?!

<that last part was a joke>

But yeah, other than the outside temp and trip milage, I wouldn't care either.
Not only that but you also lose all the driver personalization settings I.E horn at lock, courtesy light times etc. etc. And let's not forget your warning messages, i don't know about you but i would like to know if something is wrong with my car, especially the volt readings.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Warnings still come up on the left screen in the dash panel.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I still like the idea of including the base CTS DIC in conjunction with with a double din. It will be a mod I make soon . . .
Old 06-21-2011, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd love to see a trim panel WITH NO CUTOUTS & then we could mount what we'd want how we'd want.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

That's cool. I'm just sharing that what I was understanding to be the negatives that I care about actually didn't occur. That's my main point here. A real, "This is what happens" thread so that others can make the decision.

But I feel that the other way looks far more like a Frankenstein than the way I did it.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks Great but i'd want a bigger screen if i was giving up all those little personalization settings for good

the dimensions are 3.6 x 12.2 x 17.5 inches of this kit..

You think a large touch screen tablet could fit behind the main plastic trim panel w/out the double din insert.. to bad they don't make headunits bigger than double din.. our center console has so much real estate

btw that sucks about your AC vent
Old 06-21-2011, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

Yeah. It was that way when I bought it. Don't think it's made me lose too much sleep over it though. I mean, if I wanted interior quality, I wouldn't have sold any of my 6 Audis, and DEFINITELY wouldn't have bought a Cadillac.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

You all have probably seen mine but like others I wanted to keep my OEM HU. It works great. I still have to paint and fill in gaps but it's not bad...

Old 06-21-2011, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, sucks having to look at such a nice interior in your driveway or shop j/k

Don't any of the aftermarket have aux inputs that can somehow be used for info screen? I'm not into electronics, but if I were I know something could be done relatively easily to have something that works and doesn't look so, added on.

This cannot be that difficult and think I'm going to put this as a backburner learning experience. Worst case, I do like the incorporation of the base CTS at least, so that gives some ideas, hmm...

My restrictions are only to stay within the oem boundary (lots of room for options) and provide a decent sized screen (touchscreen maybe since they're so cheap now), but have a true volume and seek dials...This actually will be fun, if I can get around to it though
Old 06-21-2011, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

@anz2dmax - Right but... seriously? All this trouble for getting reminders that you need to change your oil (and all other absolutely wonderful things that I have no idea how we previously made it without...) And in the end, it looks bad. Sorry. There's no justification for for having two screens. It's silly. And the resolution on one has to be so different than that of the other.

Again, my point is being made here. All these butcher shop options are, in my humble opinion (but I AM the OP) redneck and wouldn't be found en masse in a higher end car community. I'd get it if it were one or two people, or if the repercussions were horrible, but I'm not at all seeing that they are.

JNR - Mine has an input, yes. Most do. Have it show you whatever you want.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^is there a way to convert the DIC signals to the input?

That would be awesome if there was and surely somebody with some electronics background could make, by studying the electrical schematics/single lines, etc...Problem for me is I don't have any of that information and need to breakdown and buy a comprehensive service manual and documentation. The other difficult part is sourcing the oem connectors sometimes, but guess you can get them from conversion kits, etc..

The problem is though that you'd have to go in and modify a stereo or start from scratch. It could be done, but who has the time...

I don't want to lose my DIC, but I do want this POS stereo out, lol.

Last edited by JNR_Design; 06-21-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My next mod to the V is going to be ditching the worlds shittiest nav system thats for sure.

Quick Reply: Completely new stereo is in. No issues. What's the big deal?