Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Tell me why I should not get a V2

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tell me why I should not get a V2

I have been kicking around the idea of getting rid of my V1 and getting a V2 for a while now. I paid cash for my V1 a year and a half ago. It currently has 36K miles on it. Trade in value is right around what I paid for it then. The v2 are down around 40-45 right now if you look around.

The reason I am asking this is I just accepted a position at the new chip manufacturing site in Malta NY, Global Foundries essentially doubling my pay. The problem is my local dealer has a Silver sedan (what I would want) and a Red coupe on the lot. I went to look at it Saturday and honestly I was not blown away by it. When I had my car parked next to it, i actually thought my car looked better. I am sure being lowered with forged wheels helped but the body lines on the V2 are almost too sharp to me. The interior on the V2 is far superior but I am not sure on the exterior.

I was throwing around the idea of keeping my V1 and doing the G-Force 9" with the RPM Edelbrock TVS supercharger. Or just scrapping it all together and getting a V2 or an IS-F

Discuss please.

Edit.... I have also not ruled out an E60 M5. Something about a V10 in a sedan is cool to me. The my boss had one last year. I really like those cars too.

Last edited by big reg; 07-12-2011 at 06:00 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Launching!

IS-F.... PFFFFFFFFFFFF!

I'm thinking of doing the V1 for V2 mid next year but I still really like my V1. I'll probably end up doing it for the extra power and awesome interior.

I must say that is has been REALLY tough not to spend money on more mods for the V1; however, it would just be stupid for me to dump more money in the V1 if I'm just going to trade it in next year. I'm so torn!
Old 07-11-2011, 02:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can afford it... go for it. I'd say the interior and power alone are worth it, I don't care what it looks like.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Can't go wrong with modding the V1 or getting the V2. IS-F...ugh forget about that would rather have a V.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

V2>V1 in every way hands down. Modded or stock the V2 outshines the V1 in every category.

If I could swing it no doubt id be getting a V2, mod for mod your still gonna go faster with a V2, hell itll take a blower to get on he same page as a V2 stock. Not to mention resale is better with the V2. The money you will invest in the V1 to be just as fast as a V2 will be like pissing it away since you will recoupe hardly any of it should it sell.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

I'm in the same boat....I think if you can wait it out a bit longer the V2's will be in the 30's. I am doing small mods to fight the itch, but if you think about a V2 under 40k, it's damn near impossible to beat for what you get for your money.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by itsslow98
V2>V1 in every way hands down. Modded or stock the V2 outshines the V1 in every category.

If I could swing it no doubt id be getting a V2, mod for mod your still gonna go faster with a V2, hell itll take a blower to get on he same page as a V2 stock. Not to mention resale is better with the V2. The money you will invest in the V1 to be just as fast as a V2 will be like pissing it away since you will recoupe hardly any of it should it sell.
Qouted for truth. I basically needed someone to say it for me. lol. The lack of return on the investment modding the V1 is the killer for me. When I posed the question the old lady she basically said the same. She also said it will be like every other time I mod a car. i blow money on parts, they sit for months and I change my mind on the setup I want. Voila parts sold at a loss now to move them.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

IMO, go for the V2. Really a much better car in every way.

Do a comparison. Go for test drive in a V2 (preferable a manual one with the recaro seats) and drive it like you stole it! Then get back into the V1.

Hopefully that will help not hinder your decision.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

You didn't say if you had driven a V2. Lotta difference.

I had a V1 for 4 yrs. I miss it on occasion. It had more... personality.
GM engineered most of the idiosyncrasies out of the V2. But my V1 would never keep up with my V2, and the V2 is so easy to mod for even more HP gains.

Good luck finding a V2 in the 40-45K range that isn't high mileage or been ridden hard and put away wet. Used manual tranny V2s are even harder to find. Recaro seats will also push the value up.

You are hung up on appearance of a V2, but considering an IS-F???
Now there is a vehicle only its mother could love.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by OldRoadDawg
You are hung up on appearance of a V2, but considering an IS-F???
Now there is a vehicle only its mother could love.

AGREED !!!!!

Old 07-11-2011, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Its not that I dont like the V2 appearance, perhaps I was not clear on that aspect. I just like the appearance of my V1 lowered with forged wheels. I will be setting up an appointment to drive one possibly this weekend. I am sure that will push me over the edge.

Also too be honest I prefer an auto. Manuals are too hard to find and are priced accordingly. As far as being beat on, its still under factory warranty and I wont have it long enough to worry about it. I usually get another vehicle every 2 yrs or so.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Why all the hate on the IS-F? its a great car, very solidly built with aggressive styling. You guys gotta respect fellow performance sedans.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Get the V2
Old 07-11-2011, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jester81783
Why all the hate on the IS-F? its a great car, very solidly built with aggressive styling. You guys gotta respect fellow performance sedans.
I have always liked the IS series and when the F came out I was in love with it. Headers and a catback and they run in the 11's at over 120mph. Not bad for an NA 4 door sedan.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

i love my v1 but when i started modding then looking at what kind of power and track numbers i get compared to a v2 i mean for a cat back cold air a ported blower and some drag radials you get 640 to the weel and 10.70s in the 1/4 i couldnt touch that for another 15 grand into the v1...my v1 will be paid off in 18 months i will give it to the girl to drive with some decent mods trade her car in on an 09 by that time a 30k mile car should be down to about 38,000 i can trade in a paid off accord and pay a bit more then i did for my v1 and not have to worry about 80% of the issues i have had all tho i think the v1 is a sexier looking car i like to go fast more then look pretty...the is-f is pretty bad *** but being a member of the uniformed services i support detroit(the accord was not up to me)
Old 07-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Launching!

I paid cash for my 1,300 mile '05 last year as well, so I know it's tough to keep from trading up.

My V is stock, so I know the V2 is superior performance-wise. The interior is definitely nicer than my '05, but I think the V1 a better looking car than the V2.

I know it's probably just a matter of time until the new car bug gets the better of me, but I still have 2 more years of extended warranty on this car(with no intentions of modding), so I'll probably stick with this one for a while yet.

Personally I have no use for Asian/Japanese cars. At least until I have no other choice.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was on the fence as well. Believe it or not I have decided to get a new 2012 Boss 302 instead of a used V2. With the TracKey the Boss has launch control and will cut 3.9 (Motortrend) 0-60 and 12.1 1/4 on stock tires (Motortrend) and 11.7 with drag radials.

It also boasts the 11th fastest time around Laguna Seca for a stock production car and smashed the Vs time. It is everything I want in a car and wont need to mod it. http://www.fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna_seca.html

I learned my lesson modding my daily driver with this V, and it cost me a lot of money in repairs.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've seen maaaany V2s in the low-mid 40 range... just need to know how to look accordingly.

i'll also mentioned my cousin (a dealer) has seen multiple V2s go for low 30s at auction, clean titles. even one for 28k!
Old 07-11-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

New boss are overhyped and overpriced. I'd much rather just grab a gt or used gt500
Old 07-11-2011, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a lot of options out there.

Shopping for a new car is a bitch lol

But I won't knock the IS-F, the new Boss 302, or the GT500.

It sucks having to decide from how many amazing cars we have now a days.

I'd stick with the V1, save up some more cash, and who knows, in a few years, there's gonna be something even better!

-meaty