Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

My visit to D3

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My visit to D3

So I took my Camaro to them for an oil change. Nothing too exciting. As I was getting ready to leave they were doing some launches or something with a black CTS-V they had there on drag tires. My buddy grabbed some video so I figured I would post it here. This thing sounded incredible. They had some pretty insane stuff in their shop when I was picking up my ride. For obvious reasons this one really stood out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEeuOBH5R0g&t=6s

Cliff
Old 07-12-2011, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounded badass, but that hood is
Reminds me of an EVO hood and looks way to busy! Did someone forget they are drivin a cadi and thought it was an Fbody?
Old 07-12-2011, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

Looks like the CTS-VR hood.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

that hood is fugly
Old 07-12-2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
Reminds me of an EVO hood and looks way to busy! Did someone forget they are drivin a cadi and thought it was an Fbody?
Yeah normally I'm not a big fan of crazy *** hoods. But in this case I think it had something to do with the big ol 3.6 blower they stuffed under that hood... When it is functional it starts to look pretty cool.

Cliff
Old 07-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

Meh a little much for me. Then again the new CTS-V as a whole is just a little much. Love the lines and sleekness of the V1 CTS-Vs... the new ones are just too chunky looking.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

if they kept that cadi mentality they wouldnt be looking to go fast.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

I'm talking about the appearance of the car not the performance...

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
if they kept that cadi mentality they wouldnt be looking to go fast.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i want a V2 so bad.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:10 AM
11 Second Club

yeah i don't like the hood, but they made it for the 3.6L

Guy on the other forums is supposed to be mocking up one similar but not as bit, tall and what not...

Guess we will see.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm talking about the appearance of the car not the performance...
when your car is fast then you can get away with alot more then what slow cars can.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

The hood and rear wheels look a lot like that of the CTS-VR.

I dont think the owner that commissioned D3 was going for subtle. With a 3.6l blower on top of a nasty 434 LSX motor, he has got to be pushing 900+.

Personally, I think its a bad *** looking (and sounding) V. I dont think he had it built for daily driving in mind.

Good work D3.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Man that thing is bad ***. I personally like the hood, just wish that the finish matched the rest of the car. And just wondering if that was the owner driving, or D3 doing some "road" testing
Old 07-13-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
when your car is fast then you can get away with alot more then what slow cars can.

Good point! Otherwise its like the guy going F&F in a blaze of glory down the interstate in a riced out econo car with the fart can and wing in the back and the drilled in hood scoop while the broken rear bumper body kit scrapes a perfect line all the way to his house...

this is funny
Old 07-19-2011, 08:35 PM

In a somewhat related note. We went out to the drags this past weekend in Fontucky and got to see this car in action. Looks like they put the hood to good use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x6kzIG_M9o

Cliff
Old 07-20-2011, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

FWIW,from what I've heard anybody dealing with ( as in purchasing) anything from D3 better have some mighty deep pockets. It would seem any items they sell can be purchased from other reputable vendors for significantly less money.

The other curious thing about D3 is that despite their claims of big HP cars there doesn't appear to be any 1/4 mile postings of any of their cars on any forums that I have seen or can find!
Old 07-20-2011, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GT racer
The other curious thing about D3 is that despite their claims of big HP cars there doesn't appear to be any 1/4 mile postings of any of their cars on any forums that I have seen or can find!
Yes, D3 is an expensive shop. Just like Hennessy or Lingenfelter. If I want Hennessy to do the 475 package on my Raptor it will run me $8k. If I have my local shop do the same work i'll be looking at around $3000. Everyone has different price points and they pay for what they can afford.

Regarding videos, check out D3's YouTube page...here are a few

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_agi5...el_video_title

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQbGKFZc0Bw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8XikaanTAY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x6kz...el_video_title

This one won the Extreme Super Lap in Dubai

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ki7A7L4VK4
Old 07-20-2011, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

Was that a 11.19 ET that the bolt on D3 drag car video showed?

Would have thought the ET would have been closer to a mid 10.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:36 PM

LOL, I've heard that they stuff the glove boxes full of candy when you pick up the cars from them. J/K You can't always go by what you "heard" on the internet. Unless you have experienced their work/service first hand, what you've heard is not relevant. Not trying to be a ***** but I have been at their facility and had work done. I've paid for their services and you get what you pay for. Their prices are not out of line in any way shape or form. They are a real business, not some internet company based out of some guys garage drop shipping parts everywhere selling them at 2% over cost. Like whisler said everyone has different price points they are willing to pay for.

My friend has an R8 and has work done on it (from another shop). I'm pretty sure he understands that modifications for his car are going to cost a pretty penny. Especially if you have someone proficient working on it. I would liken that to what they do at D3.

As for the big HP cars they claim. They don't talk about it or brag about it. They just do it. They dont seem to be too interested in "posting" on the internet or having to validate on some forum boards. Maybe they are old school and dont think too much of the internet....?

Thats just my opinion from having actually interacting with those guys. They are pretty straight forward and know their stuff. No BS, just results. Dont get too caught up in the internet dude!

Cliff

Originally Posted by GT racer
FWIW,from what I've heard anybody dealing with ( as in purchasing) anything from D3 better have some mighty deep pockets. It would seem any items they sell can be purchased from other reputable vendors for significantly less money.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1MaddCamaro
LOL, I've heard that they stuff the glove boxes full of candy when you pick up the cars from them. J/K You can't always go by what you "heard" on the internet. Unless you have experienced their work/service first hand, what you've heard is not relevant. Not trying to be a ***** but I have been at their facility and had work done. I've paid for their services and you get what you pay for. Their prices are not out of line in any way shape or form. They are a real business, not some internet company based out of some guys garage drop shipping parts everywhere selling them at 2% over cost. Like whisler said everyone has different price points they are willing to pay for.

My friend has an R8 and has work done on it (from another shop). I'm pretty sure he understands that modifications for his car are going to cost a pretty penny. Especially if you have someone proficient working on it. I would liken that to what they do at D3.

As for the big HP cars they claim. They don't talk about it or brag about it. They just do it. They dont seem to be too interested in "posting" on the internet or having to validate on some forum boards. Maybe they are old school and dont think too much of the internet....?

Thats just my opinion from having actually interacting with those guys. They are pretty straight forward and know their stuff. No BS, just results. Dont get too caught up in the internet dude!

Cliff

While it's great to hear that you've had experience with D3 I'm not so sure about your claim " their prices are not out of line in anyway shape or form".

For instance, history shows the D3 price for their V2 lower pulley was $1850.00 when other vendors were selling lower pulleys for just a little over half that price!

The D3 labor charge as was quoted by their distributor Paschal Performance was $ 150.00 per hour! ( IMO, that has to be some kind of record)

This info is not hearsay, but a matter of fact.

Maybe the lesson learned is that it always pays to shop and compare prices.

As for not posting results, maybe they don't post " results" because their results aren't as good as some of the competitors? By not posting their results there is no reason for them to substantiate or validate.

Quick Reply: My visit to D3