Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

New Window Tint

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Window Tint

Got some new window tint a few weeks back. Went with 5% all the way around, its a little dark at night but i love it during the day.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks awesome! How much did it cost?
Old 09-04-2011, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

I had a buddy do it, and with him stripping my old tint i payed like $200.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

Looks nice.

$200 for a buddy discount seems kinda high.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sandman22
Looks nice.

$200 for a buddy discount seems kinda high.
I was thinking the same. I paid $185 for the wife's Altima.....That's all the side windows 20% and the entire front 35%, from a shop with a lifetime warranty and she had old tint that they had to remove as well. I did the Vs myself....Not hard at all ONCE I realized to take the weather stripping off first. I bought my tint pre cut from the same shop for $35 and spent a Saturday afternoon....
Old 09-04-2011, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

yah i know, i don't really if i would call it a buddy just kind of an acquaintance. but ya. and in Oklahoma 5% is illegal so it costs more to.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bamacaddy
I was thinking the same. I paid $185 for the wife's Altima.....That's all the side windows 20% and the entire front 35%, from a shop with a lifetime warranty and she had old tint that they had to remove as well. I did the Vs myself....Not hard at all ONCE I realized to take the weather stripping off first. I bought my tint pre cut from the same shop for $35 and spent a Saturday afternoon....
Thats pretty good. I have a buddy that does mobile window tint. I have never paid over $100 on any cars. I had him quote me the V and he said $85. Probably going to have it done some time this week.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Nice i wish i had that good of a "buddy" lol
Old 09-04-2011, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JOHN STEPHENS
yah i know, i don't really if i would call it a buddy just kind of an acquaintance. but ya. and in Oklahoma 5% is illegal so it costs more to.
Yeah 32% is the legal limit here in Alabama. AND it's illegal to have more than a 8" strip in the front. So the guy wouldn't give me a receipt on that part of it LOL. This is a shop that's done EVERY one of the 12-15 cars of mine so I would have to think that he really does give me the "hookup price" as he calls it. $200 is fair and about average, as long as they stand behind it then it's worth it without a doubt.....It's just on the upper end of the price range around here... AND DON'T YOU LOVE IT??? I know it made my V like a whole new ride.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

yes i do love it! it makes a huge difference. im thinking about doing 35% on the windshield a lot of my friends have it done and i like it.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe it's better tint (material) for the $200...Seems higher than most shops, but who cares as long as it's good material and lasts.

Never got into the % rating, but is that like "limo"? (used to be light, medium, dark and limo)...I'm not sure what I have on my back windows, but they are pretty dark. Be interesting to know what is on there. The PO took off the front side cause he got a ticket (so he claims)...I want to do those medium, so don't get hassled, yet provide some cooling and lessen the UV's in the car (which is the main reason I like tint).

Problem is the back stuff is looking kind of crappy, so may just get it all done at once. I was hoping it'd be around $150, but need to check. Would think in these times, deals our out there, but could be wrong.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I think the shop I use was gonna charge 150 without the front done on the wife's car and they're pretty much the same size. Tint, wheel and audio shops aren't exactly backed out the door with business lately....Well except for the "Donk" crowd, and c'mon... Geekers gonna buy dope no matter how bad the economy turns.. LOL
Old 09-04-2011, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

Yes 5% is limo tint. DARK.HAHA

Last edited by JOHN STEPHENS; 09-04-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JNR_Design
Maybe it's better tint (material) for the $200...Seems higher than most shops, but who cares as long as it's good material and lasts.

Never got into the % rating, but is that like "limo"? (used to be light, medium, dark and limo)...I'm not sure what I have on my back windows, but they are pretty dark. Be interesting to know what is on there. The PO took off the front side cause he got a ticket (so he claims)...I want to do those medium, so don't get hassled, yet provide some cooling and lessen the UV's in the car (which is the main reason I like tint).

Problem is the back stuff is looking kind of crappy, so may just get it all done at once. I was hoping it'd be around $150, but need to check. Would think in these times, deals our out there, but could be wrong.
5% is limo. It is DARK. I had that on my TA and at night you just make out what is behind you, lol. But it looks damn good on cars.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Light = 50-35%
Medium = 35-20%
Dark = 15-10%
Limo = 5%

I got pulled over for tint last weekend and got a warning. He verified mine was 5%. I bought it that way.. so I can't complain too much.

And to the OP, I wouldn't do 35% on the windshield if you've already got 5% on the sides. At the most I would do 50%. 35% on the windshield at night with 5% on the sides is just dangerous. I had a buddy with 5% on the sides and 35% on the windshield on his charger. Riding at night he asked the passenger to roll down the window to see if there was a car next to him so he could change lanes. There was a white SUBURBAN directly next to him that he couldn't see.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm sure this varies by state and of course by the particular officer and what you're doing and how you're "profiled", but one thing that they seemed to agree on is if they can see your profile and perhaps tell if you're a man or woman, they won't hassle you on that...Same thing with no front plate...I don't have one on mine and they never even look twice at me if I'm driving normally. Guess they figure it must be an older guy driving it (I'm not but from a distance looking at the car) and as long as not doing something stupid, they don't care. Besides, it's a fix it ticket anyway and only like $10 (may be a little more nowadays), so not worried about it...Same thing with tint...I had dark on the rears of my GTO and medium on the side and being it was a dark interior they looked darker than they were on certain angles...never got hassled. However, bet if they were 'limo' all around and I was riding on chrome ghetto wheels they would
Old 09-04-2011, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

yah thats the only thing i am worried about it being way to dark at night. i know a guy with 5% around and 30% out front its pretty dark.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Teching In

looks awesome!
Old 09-04-2011, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by calebhindes
looks awesome!
thanks man
Old 09-04-2011, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JOHN STEPHENS
yah thats the only thing i am worried about it being way to dark at night. i know a guy with 5% around and 30% out front its pretty dark.
I had a 69 V-Dub that I had worked on for about 1-1/2 years....Shaved handles, lowered, dual carb motor, and BUMPER DELETE. About 2 weeks after finishing it off I decided to re-tint the windows, well the back and rear sides already had 5% and I had replaced the front side windows with a single piece glass to remove the vent windows....Anyway, I had the bright idea to just to 5% over the 5% that was already there and 5% on the side windows and 20% on the entire front window. My dad came outside as I was finishing it up and gave me this 20 minute speech about "That **** being so dark, and that I was gonna hit something FOR SURE"....Especially since I had removed both side mirrors (cause it looked cooler). Well I showed him.... I was dropping off a buddy after our high school football game and since I couldn't roll down the side windows to stick my head out, I did my best and backed into an Oak tree and went off the side of his drive, ripping the little electric dog fence up, which then got wrapped up around my axle. The end result was a rear fender, decklid, tailight, and a CV boot. But that sumbitch sho did look cool for that one day. LMAO.

Quick Reply: New Window Tint