Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

H&R Springs/ WHAT camber adjustment for the street are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 01:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default H&R Springs/ WHAT camber adjustment for the street are you using?

What camber adjustment are you all running for the street with your H&R springs? My GM Service Manual states that "stock" the rear should be -1.4 and the front should be -.5
My rear camber now is -4 and the front is -2

I messed with the rear a little and it looks to me like all of the camber can be adjusted out.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're going to want an alignment to get it perfect man. I'm running my drop springs with no alignment. Havent had any issues with tire wear yet but when I install my GC kit, I'll get it aligned once it's adjusted where I wanna keep it.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm on cut stockers at the moment. I know the feeling you're talking about. Mine does it too. Could be the end links. I know people have said that the factory end links don't like being lowered. I have z06 end links waiting to be installed. I'm sure sway bar bushing would help too which I also plan to do. But... I'm going to wait until I install my ground control kit to see if it's cut spring related or if it's just from being lowered in general.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:11 PM
TECH Veteran

But if yours does it on H&R's, I'd imagine it's just from being lowered in general.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Launching!

Glad to know its not just me. I guess I'll be ordering some Z06 endlinks and bushings just in case.

I dont normally do this but I had it up to 145mph yesterday on an open stretch, no cars around just to see how it felt and it feel VERY stable. Go figure it felt 100x more stable at 145 than at 65. Let me know how it goes w/ the GC kit!

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
But if yours does it on H&R's, I'd imagine it's just from being lowered in general.
I hope somehow I fix that feeling because it doesnt feel comfortable driving it at all on the beltway. Its like Im always having to over correct the steering but its not really the steering, its the floating feeling. Then when I over correct it Im swerving all in my lane like Im drunk.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Haha! I know that's true too! I was coming back from Galveston headed to my house in Friendswood just south of Houston about 8 months back. Had this M3 come up beside me with loud *** exhaust wanting to play. We made a few pulls and I killed him everytime but only be a 2-3 lengths. Not sure what he had done but the V is a monster from a freeway roll even though I only had intake and magnaflow catback at the time but the car was lowered. It feels wishy washy at normal highway cruising speed but it was tight up in the high mph. I remember I looked down and I was at 154 and was surprised it was still pulling hard at that speed. The M3 was still in it too but he wasn't catching me... Just slowly falling farther behind everytime. But anyway... I agree that its stable at high speed. Lol
Old 09-05-2011, 05:14 PM
11 Second Club

Sorry guys, my thread is getting lots of attention, but the wrong attention.

I know I need an alignment. I want to know, of all of you runnin these springs, and if you had it aligned, what was the camber set at?
Old 09-05-2011, 06:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Take it to a shop. It's worth the $50 to get it perfect. There is no exact adjustment that needs to be made so your question has no answer. It varies from car to car and from spring to spring....
Old 09-05-2011, 06:27 PM
TECH Veteran

And before you respond saying "I said I have H&R's", even two springs that should be the exact same aren't. Hence all the treads talking about the difference between drop amount with the H&R's when everyone has the same spring.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:48 PM
11 Second Club

Take it to a shop. It's worth the $50 to get it perfect. There is no exact adjustment that needs to be made so your question has no answer. It varies from car to car and from spring to spring....
Take it to shop? Haha! And set it at what? Sorry your wrong. This is a street car and -4 camber is gonna destroy the insides of my tires. I am not racing it. It doesnt have to be exact but it needs to be within a certain spec +or-. Your not answering my question because you havent been in this situation or you dont have an answer worthy. Thanks but I am trying to get answers from people that have "been there, done that".

Last edited by 9t8z28; 09-05-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

And before you respond saying "I said I have H&R's", even two springs that should be the exact same aren't. Hence all the treads talking about the difference between drop amount with the H&R's when everyone has the same spring.
You still dont get it. There are recommended setups for street and track use. It doesnt matter whether your jacked up like a 4x4 or slammed.

And once again, anyone who has these shocks and has adjusted or had the camber adjusted is asked to chime in from what they have discovered wears the tires the best or what ever
Old 09-05-2011, 08:59 PM
11 Second Club

NeverSatisfied02, we'll try this. Are you lowered? If you are, did you have the camber set and what was it set to? What kinda rear tire wear do you see? If you havent had it adjusted, then sorry you cant help in this thread.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Lol! YOU don't need to manually set it to anything so the question you are asking is pointless. If it's a street car as u say, an alignment using one of those laser machines would be your best choice for optimum tire life and even tread wear. Some TRACK guys adjust their camber to their personal preference for better cornering and such which you obviously don't need. I'm really not sure what you expect to get from this thread but goodluck
Old 09-05-2011, 09:25 PM
11 Second Club

Lol! YOU don't need to manually set it to anything so the question you are asking is pointless. If it's a street car as u say, an alignment using one of those laser machines would be your best choice for optimum tire life and even tread wear. Some TRACK guys adjust their camber to their personal preference for better cornering and such which you obviously don't need. I'm really not sure what you expect to get from this thread but goodluck
You've failed to understand my question. Thanks. Move along
Old 09-05-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Lol! I apologize for trying to help. I didnt realize you were dead set on aligning your STREET car by hand in the driveway...

Gl with that. I'm sure all these people rushing in with the answer your looking for will help you out... Lol
Old 09-05-2011, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

Lol! I apologize for trying to help. I didnt realize you were dead set on aligning your STREET car by hand in the driveway...

Gl with that. I'm sure all these people rushing in with the answer your looking for will help you out... Lol

lol, lol, lol, come on, 1 more time!

You just won't give up will ya, even tho you think you have the right answer.

I never said I was gonna do it myself. I said I messed with it a little. My intention was to see if it was possible to get it back to factory settings, and yes the slots are long enough.

I tell ya what, start your own thread stating your opinion on why I shouldn't be allow to ask what camber setting everyone else is running so that way you won't be jackin my thread.... Please, your taking my thread off course, just leave.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am on H&Rs...I am running "Stock" alignment...I did what NeverSatisfied02 said you should do, I took it to a shop and said "I need an alignment." For street driving just go with stock...

If you really care about the full alignment (Chamber, Caster, and Toe) number(s) to be "perfect", you should have just gone with a full race Coilover set up and not H&Rs. The "pefect" Chamber, Caster, and Toe is very subjective to the driver individual driving habits and style.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
I am on H&Rs...I am running "Stock" alignment...I did what NeverSatisfied02 said you should do, I took it to a shop and said "I need an alignment." For street driving just go with stock...

If you really care about the full alignment (Chamber, Caster, and Toe) number(s) to be "perfect", you should have just gone with a full race Coilover set up and not H&Rs. The "pefect" Chamber, Caster, and Toe is very subjective to the driver individual driving habits and style.

You stated the stock alignment specs in the OP, you're not doing the alignment yourself...

The shop is going to get it as close to stock specs as possible. What they will tell you is that "because the car is lowered we're going to do the best we can. It may not be exactly in spec, but it'll be as close as we can get it."
Old 09-06-2011, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BudRacing

You stated the stock alignment specs in the OP, you're not doing the alignment yourself...

The shop is going to get it as close to stock specs as possible. What they will tell you is that "because the car is lowered we're going to do the best we can. It may not be exactly in spec, but it'll be as close as we can get it."
or that mine did align to stock specs right the money...and that even after the alignment check before the service was preformed, i found out that the Chamber on my front was off by 0.1 (-0.6 RF) and 0.2 (-0.7 LF). And the rear was -0.2 (-1.6) both sides. With Caster and Toe both being dead on. they tech and service manager both told me, that both sides where with in the "accepted safety range". I went ahead a had them try the alignment since my V did pull slightly on the freeway.

I drove about 1000 miles on very new tires prior to the alignment, with no abnormal wear to the tires.

Like NeverSatified said, every car will be different and every spring will have a different compression and tension due to slight(only 753 miles on the tires) difference in metal composite make up.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i run somewhere around -1.3 to -1.5 and my car is a sled on complete coilovers. it was done on an alignment machine of which they also adjusted toe. 2 years on my 285/25/20 rear nittos

Quick Reply: H&R Springs/ WHAT camber adjustment for the street are you using?