Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Who makes this slave cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who makes this slave cylinder?

Slave has a leak in it. So I bought one of these

But it has one of these.

The mechanic told me that the clutch is huge and obviously not stock. So I need to replace this slave with a new one like it, cause I dint want to go back to a stock system now that it has an upgraded one.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

if youre reffering to the first pic,, it looks like an ls7 slave to me

you have to see what clutch is in the car in order to determine which slave will work with it
Old 12-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by plastus85
if youre reffering to the first pic,, it looks like an ls7 slave to me
I need the company that makes the red one. Thats what was pulled out of my V. The green one doesn't fit with the clutch it has.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have any more pics of the red one? That looks like a serious piece.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah. Found out it's a McLeod Slave. It's adjustable and rebuildable. Rebuild kit is about $70 and the whole unit it over $300.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wonder if this slave could ease some of the 1st gear issues we have been having in the V?
Old 12-04-2011, 12:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
I wonder if this slave could ease some of the 1st gear issues we have been having in the V?
For what its worth, I haven't had issues getting into first since I bought the car.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

So are you going to repair it and use that one or go with the ls7 one you bought?
Old 12-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

Going with the LS7 an testing that. If it is worse to drive then I'll rebuild the red one an have it installed. If it's good enough I'll probably sell the red one later on.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Launching!

I have the mcleod unit and I am EXTREMELY dissappointed, nothing but trouble and I currently have to pull the transmission to deal with more issues caused by this unit. what issues were you having? I had a ls7 unit prior to the mcleod and my pedal went from a mild stock like feel to a full out race car. The pedal is way too strong and it drives me nuts if I run into traffic. I talked to the lead designer for mcleod at the PRI show and he told me they have had some units with defective bleeder lines (bleeder threads were allowing air in) so if that is the case with yours you can get a free exchange if you send it to them, anyway good luck and keep us updated. Also I didn't notice in the pictures, but do you have a spacer?
Old 12-04-2011, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run a Mcleod twin disk in my mustang but its an older one(original street twin), its only slightly stiffer then stock. I am using a mcleod slave and master.

I am guessing WM is having trouble with a defective part.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wmskateteam
I have the mcleod unit and I am EXTREMELY dissappointed, nothing but trouble and I currently have to pull the transmission to deal with more issues caused by this unit. what issues were you having? I had a ls7 unit prior to the mcleod and my pedal went from a mild stock like feel to a full out race car. The pedal is way too strong and it drives me nuts if I run into traffic. I talked to the lead designer for mcleod at the PRI show and he told me they have had some units with defective bleeder lines (bleeder threads were allowing air in) so if that is the case with yours you can get a free exchange if you send it to them, anyway good luck and keep us updated. Also I didn't notice in the pictures, but do you have a spacer?
Mine was leaking bad. The seal around the main piston that pushes up against the clutch was bad. Pieces of the seal were visible on the shaft when fully extended. I haven't opened it to see how bad it is. I would lose all the fluid in one night. So I would have to fill and bleed the system if I wanted to drive the car. Lucky for me that I have another car to use. I am just going to go with the Vette slave and see how it works out for me. If the change isn't too bad, I'll just sell the McLeod.

As far as the spacer, I am assuming it is still on the car. This is all my mechanic took off. I will be sure to tell him to remove the spacer prior to installing the other slave.

Last edited by sandman22; 12-04-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:01 AM
Launching!

you will need to use a spacer with the ls7 slave as well if I remember correctly. I lose my pedal everyday as well, it was fine for a couple months and now has given me nothing but problems. I find it interesting you also have a unit because they told me they never built one for a 1st gen V when I had mine made (fall 10'). sandman how strong was your pedal? how long have you owned the car? (trying to figure out how old your unit is)
Old 12-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Staging Lane

Pedal was not strong. It was very easy to press. I bought the car in July of this year from a dealer, so I have no idea when it was installed.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Staging Lane

Just looked at the slave. It has a date etched into it of 2-10-11
Old 12-05-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

Just cuz it wasn't specifically made for the v doesn't mean It wouldn't work with some adjustments. Same goes with ls7 it wasn't made for the v but with the right spacer it works.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Launching!

thanks, I was just wondering. serik I know you can "make it work" but I was wondering because I had to send it back to McLeod for adjustments 3 times so I was hoping they didn't do the same to others. Mine was made in August of 2010 so it's not that old, but I would have been surprised to hear there was one older than mine. Anyway I'm glad to hear your pedal wasn't crazy, it gives me hope that if I don't ditch the McLeod I can have it rebuilt/reconfigured to work correctly for our cars. I originally had the unit installed by a shop and have never heard of the pedal going from stock to race with a slave/throw out change, but from what itsslow said it's probably a defective unit. This car keeps eating slaves and I thought shelling out the money for the McLeod would fix it, maybe there's still hope
Old 12-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Launching!

also sandman can you ask your shop what airgap they used (if they reinstall the mcleod) and the width of the spacer that was installed with the mcleod. I'm pulling my trans out tomorrow and would like to compare, thanks
Old 12-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sandman22
Yeah. Found out it's a McLeod Slave. It's adjustable and rebuildable. Rebuild kit is about $70 and the whole unit it over $300.
also where did you get this information? I paid around $550 for the bearing and $150 for the special quick disconnect line I needed. That's another reason I am so frustrated right now, $700 invested and I still have problems. I will probably be mailing my unit back to them tomorrow, so I will keep you updated
Old 12-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wmskateteam
also where did you get this information? I paid around $550 for the bearing and $150 for the special quick disconnect line I needed. That's another reason I am so frustrated right now, $700 invested and I still have problems. I will probably be mailing my unit back to them tomorrow, so I will keep you updated
I was just looking at the web site. i couldnt recall the actual price thus the reason I said >$350. I was posting from my phone so I couldnt get the actual price. The rebuild kit is on there to. Depending on what you need the price varies.

Also I am not going with the Leod any more. Going with the LS7 unit. But when I did get it, it was practically screwed all the way down so I am assuming that there really wasnt that much pressure being used.

Quick Reply: Who makes this slave cylinder?