Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

ls9 clutch confusion

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to Katech, you have to preheat this flywheel to 200 degrees. You have an aluminum flywheel and steel mounting hardware etc. If it was not preheated it is possible it has been warped slightly. I hope this is not the case, these flywheels are expensive.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If the flywheel is warped, you'd feel significant vibration.

Originally Posted by Onefast V
I thought i had the exact same problem until i measured that distance and was at .10 inches. So i think they are different root causes with similar symptoms.
Sorry, I meant 1/16". I disagree and think that we have exactly the same issue. Although this is speculation on my end until verified by experimentation, I think that the specified margin is for thermal expansion and to set the full engagement point of the clutch below the maximum extension of the pedal. Although you're not supposed to rest your foot on the pedal, the combination of margin plus the pedal spring should allow you to keep your foot there without reducing pressure on the friction disc. Having too much margin should result in a "dead" pedal feeling at the top of the pedal's extension (when you let your foot off the clutch) and not enough actuation of the pressure plate fingers when you put the pedal to the floor.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pull the clutch out and reinstall it! visually check everything for weird hot spots and that sort and make sure u torq in a star pattern. !! it prolly just didnt seat right when he installed the pressure plate
Old 04-23-2012, 03:02 PM
TECH Regular

wow. that sucks. i did not preheat mine. not sure you can blame that.

i guess fortunately I am not having any issues with my LS9x setup. so, I am not going to stress on it.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
If the flywheel is warped, you'd feel significant vibration.

Sorry, I meant 1/16". I disagree and think that we have exactly the same issue. Although this is speculation on my end until verified by experimentation, I think that the specified margin is for thermal expansion and to set the full engagement point of the clutch below the maximum extension of the pedal. Although you're not supposed to rest your foot on the pedal, the combination of margin plus the pedal spring should allow you to keep your foot there without reducing pressure on the friction disc. Having too much margin should result in a "dead" pedal feeling at the top of the pedal's extension (when you let your foot off the clutch) and not enough actuation of the pressure plate fingers when you put the pedal to the floor.

So I must be confused by your post. I do not have excessive space between the compressed slave and the pressure plate fingers which would normally cause disengagement issues and require shimming (like i believe your suggesting). instead i am on the edge of have too little, which is understandable because in theory the clutch is already broken in.

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
pull the clutch out and reinstall it! visually check everything for weird hot spots and that sort and make sure u torq in a star pattern. !! it prolly just didnt seat right when he installed the pressure plate
This is the next step for me it looks like. I reused the GM bolts so I plan on putting in ARP bolts this time around.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I thought i had the exact same problem until i measured that distance and was at .10 inches. So i think they are different root causes with similar symptoms.

replaced with a brand new slave at the time of the clutch install so about 1k mikes on it. no fluid or wet spots indicating its leaking.

I didn't originally install it, I had a mechanic install it who done good work for me before so I'm trying to troubleshoot his install. I've never heard of anyone preheated their flywheel before installation.

Another possibility. I believe the disc directly behind the pressure plate is fixed in position, perhaps the one behind it is bent? Are we talking a very obvious bend? something i can visually see?
Was it a 1st gen cts-v slave or a ls9 zr1 application slave? I don't know if their is any significant difference (other than price) just trying to understand exactly what parts you installed.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

So I must be confused by your post. I do not have excessive space between the compressed slave and the pressure plate fingers which would normally cause disengagement issues and require shimming (like i believe your suggesting). instead i am on the edge of have too little, which is understandable because in theory the clutch is already broken in.
That's where I disagree. Where are you getting that you need 0.175-0.225" of spacing? That's pretty extreme. My goal is to get as close as possible to 0.0625".
Old 04-23-2012, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry you have this problem.

I suggest you check flatness of the flywheel and make absolutely sure it isn't warped.

Pressure plate to, but highly unlikely.

Obviously also check the disc.

I would be concerned if everyone had this problem, but that just isn't the case, so...... MOD HELL.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by garrettg
Was it a 1st gen cts-v slave or a ls9 zr1 application slave? I don't know if their is any significant difference (other than price) just trying to understand exactly what parts you installed.
yes, a gen1 slave.

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
That's where I disagree. Where are you getting that you need 0.175-0.225" of spacing? That's pretty extreme. My goal is to get as close as possible to 0.0625".
see attached. I know its not 1/16 in. however it is between 1/8 and 1/16 if you want to use those dimensions.
Attached Thumbnails ls9 clutch confusion-clutch.jpg  
Old 04-23-2012, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by heavymetals
Sorry you have this problem.

I suggest you check flatness of the flywheel and make absolutely sure it isn't warped.

Pressure plate to, but highly unlikely.

Obviously also check the disc.

I would be concerned if everyone had this problem, but that just isn't the case, so...... MOD HELL.
Ya it's been a headache and ill will definitely be giving everything a look over now that it is apart.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:17 PM
8 Second Club

My ls9 clutch had been pretty great so far. Mine is the lingenfelter with the steel flywheel though.
We have had this issue pop up on the vettes, a tick master solved the problem. I think a new tick for the v would be great Addition.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

I really don't want to get another master as I had a brand new one Installed to try and resolve the issue. What benefit would an adjustable master be?
Old 04-24-2012, 07:13 AM
8 Second Club

I really don't want to get another master as I had a brand new one Installed to try and resolve the issue. What benefit would an adjustable master be?
You installed another stock master. The reason I like the Tick is that it moves more volume of fluid. The adjustable aspect is just icing on the cake.
I suppose it would be interesting to see if GM used a different master on the ZR1 for that same reason????
Last time I talked with Tick a while ago, they said they were still developing one for the V, I would still offer up my car for fitting purposes for one.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

Yes it is a oem master. I would like to believe that the oem ctsv hydraulics are sufficient and that there was either an installation error or part defect
Old 04-24-2012, 05:33 PM
TECH Resident

Any news on the situation? Hopefully good news.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

Out of town for work until Thursday. I will be pulling the clutch and flywheel on Thursday night/ Friday morning
Old 04-27-2012, 12:20 AM
TECH Resident

Pulled the clutch and nothing abnormal from what I can tell. I will upload some pictures tomorrow but no obvious bent discs. Nothing seemed deformed or damaged.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

Here are some photos of the clutch and pressure plate and flywheel.

I'm so lost for what to do I almost want to sell this and move down to an ls7 or something else...
Old 04-27-2012, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Well you only had on bolt in the flywheel! That'll do it every time!

In all seriousness, I know how frustrating these clutch issues can be so I hope you find the issue.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Just thought, it could also be an issue with the captured disk and the pressure plate. Since they can't be inspected it would be almost impossible to tell. May see if you can get them to swap the pressure plate out for a new one.

Quick Reply: ls9 clutch confusion