Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Fob/tpms help...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fob/tpms help...

I have read up on a few threads regarding the FOB/TPMS sensors just dying on people. I have the same issue and I know it can be several things. For me this happened randomly. I was driving to get an inspection and noticed my tpms read the _ _. Didn't think much of it so I just let it go. When I came out of my inspection the fob wasn't working either. I live in a more rural area so I dont even lock the car most of the time to notice right away.

1) I know these two are connected at the radio frequency box in the headliner above the light. (do I have to take the whole liner to get to it?)

2) Checked the fuze labeled "trunk open" or something of the sort in the rear fuze box behind the driver. (no luck)

3) checked to make sure the clips on the windows are clipped on ( one on front one on rear) In fact I also recall that when we were driving to the inspection with my friend he noticed my clip on the windshield wasn't in since the windshield was recently replaced and he clipped it on. Don't know if this had any effect?

4) Also my trunk open button on the driver door doesn't work???

Would love to hear some advise from you guys that dealt with this garbage
Old 05-10-2012, 04:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Whole liner doesn't need to be removed. I dealt with that on my old car. Just the sail panels, oh **** handles and b-pillars need to come out and it'll pull down enough without bending it too much to where u can access that module.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if I knew what the sail panels and b pillars are it would be a start) regardless when I do get in there what the hell am i looking for anyway on this radio control module
Old 05-10-2012, 06:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Sail panels are the panels on the sides by the rear window. B-pillars are the interior pieces between the front doors and back doors. Module is a little metal box on the rear of the headliner. Has a couple wires coming from it. Not sure if that's what's bad or if that's ur problem but it is tied into both the tpms and the keyless entry together.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i've also read some threads where mechanics swear that faulty wiring maybe but they have never actually seen a box thats gone bad itself. Also they say that if the box is bad you would not get radio either and I get it just fine. Im just stuck between going out to the dealership and having them reset my comp and at the same time what if it doesn't fix the problem. Also dont want them to throw in a new box just so they could rape me for $. Last time my dad took his caddy to the dealership for service the ****** even managed to replace his battery claiming it was low yet we drove there on it)
Old 05-11-2012, 01:01 PM
TECH Veteran

I have a spare/good module box but you'd have to get it programmed to your car.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
I have a spare/good module box but you'd have to get it programmed to your car.
I prob do as well assuming a base cts and the V have the same one. Just wondering if I just try to get the one I have in there reprogrammed what am I looking at $ wise? roughly If its cheap enough i may just go with it before i start tearing into the car. Or I may have to get you shipped here since you are the headliner expert
Old 05-11-2012, 02:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Lol! Its not too bad man. I was hesitant to tackle it myself the first time but i know it like the back of my hand now. I had the headliner in my old car out 3-4 times until i realized I didn't miss any plugs like i thought i did. The problem was that those boxes are programmed specifically to the vehicle and we didn't swap them when we swapped headliners. Lol PITA to have pulled the headliner so many times before realizing that was the problem.

I'd prob try programming that one you have. However... I'd be curious as to why it would have suddenly lost its programming to begin with. Might not be the box thats the problem and if it is, it'll need to be replaced im sure... not just reprogrammed.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

See when the guys replaced my broken sunroof that crap obviously came out cause they didnt just replace the glass but the whole shabang with the sliding rails and all. Regardless it was still working for several days after the replacement and then took a ****. Also my sunroof wont open now either which is irritating as hell. Wonder if that's connected as well. WTF is going on w my car lol
Old 05-12-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Veteran

If it was apart recently, I bet the module is fine. They prob just didn't plug something in all the way and it's possible the wire that plugs into the box above the headliner came out. And yes... The whole headliner comes out to replace the sunroof assembly.

Actually... before you do that... Check the ground. That rear dome light has a spot that pops open and there is a screw that screws through part of the module that works as a ground and into the roof. If thats not tight, connection could be bad and it might not be grounding. Makes sense because that bolt is something that could vibrate loose which would make sense as to how it could work for a few days and then stop working. Just an idea...

Last edited by NeverSatisfied02; 05-12-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Fob/tpms help...