Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

New Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 01:36 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Project

Well, I found myself perusing Craig's List since I couldn't sleep one night (I know...the beginning of every regrettable event, LOL) and found something that I just could not resist. I called my pop's back home and had him rush out and get it for me...

'87 Buick Turbo T-Type....41k original miles, T-Tops, every option, and a few new parts (alternator, coil, plugs, etc). The bad thing is that it is 25 years old and has been sitting outside the last few years, so it needs paint, weatherstrips, upholstery, etc. All for the grand total of $1500.00!

Those of you who have come by my shop have seen the '84 I have with the 6.0 and 4L80 waiting to go into it...problem was that I was having a hard time finding a company that can get a title for it since it was a recovered theft (I was told the laws have changed, and Broadway will not do title service on a recovered theft vehicle).

Anyhow, since I got Buick V.2.....that 6.0 and 4L80E will need a new home.....
Old 05-28-2012, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice price!
Old 05-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Launching!

It almost seems wrong to me to remove the Turbo V6, as that's what makes the car cool.

Unless of course you plan on using a Turbo on the 6.0!
Old 05-29-2012, 04:56 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mhhamrhead
It almost seems wrong to me to remove the Turbo V6, as that's what makes the car cool.

Yeah, I was planning on doing a 6.0 twin turbo with the 4L80E...I bought my old work truck (2001 2500 Silverado extended cab 2wd) b/c I pulled the OE motor in the '84 and found 2 spun rod bearings and a bent valve, so the motor was trashed. I would have kept the turbo 6 if it hadn't been so fucked up, but since I cannot get a title for it I am not going to proceed with that build.

I always wanted a Buick Turbo since way back in the day, so i'm pretty happy I got one for a decent price that I can build on. I honestly don't think the guy knew what he had, I have seen worse go for $5k - $8k (based on the pics I got). I am keeping the turbo 6 in this one since it's in such good condition and I have a second car to pull spares from.

That leaves the 6.0 on the stand and the 4L80E on the ground next to it with no home...and i'm trying to think of what to do with them. I cannot use the 6.0 in the Caddy as is b/c it has the early model extended crank, so I would have to change the crank for it to work at a minimum...unless I use the 4L80E. Don't know if anyone ever tried making a 4L80E fit the Caddy, but that may be more work than swapping a crank out. Or, I could always sell the pair and make some decent coin.

Ahh....decision's, decision's........
Old 05-29-2012, 08:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

while your deciding you can make some change by fixing a certain V's rear main seal when you done playin in the sand over there...lol. I got the end links...lol.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sell the 6.0 and trans and that should fund the TVS project for the V!
Old 05-29-2012, 11:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I say one project at a time. Finish your new one, then find a home for the 6.0L.

If it were me, I'd snag a boat on wheels and stick it in there.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:51 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NOLAG05
while your deciding you can make some change by fixing a certain V's rear main seal when you done playin in the sand over there...lol. I got the end links...lol.
Haha...fo sho my man. If its truly your rear main, that would be the time to get the LS7 F/W & clutch in there. Did you ever get your mounts and headers done? If you can take a day off during the week to give me a hand it should be done the same day. Timing will be pretty tight as my schedule is getting dominated by work. Looks like I'll only be "home" for about 5 weeks through the end of Sept as it stands right now...and that includes the 2 weeks i'm taking the kids to Mexico.

Originally Posted by lollygagger8
Sell the 6.0 and trans and that should fund the TVS project for the V!
Yeah, I think you're right...and i'm kinda leaning that way. I'll have to find out what they're worth. Problem is, I know as soon as I sell the damn thing I'll break a ring land in good 'ole #7 and need a damn motor...that's just my luck, lol.

I got the entire truck for $500 so i'm really not out anything by hanging on to everything for a rainy day.

Originally Posted by BudRacing
I say one project at a time. Finish your new one, then find a home for the 6.0L.

If it were me, I'd snag a boat on wheels and stick it in there.
Man, that is ******* PIMP! A buddy of mine had a '72 Continental in high school and that thing rocked! I think we fit 11 people in it once.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stick your LS6 intake on the 6.0 and use the V's engine cover and BAM, you've got a nice caddy engine for a caddy. I like where this is going.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

I told my boss i was going to Mexico and our security officer went thru the roof... you have to fly more than 150 miles into Mexico, your not allowed to drive across the border... blah blah blah...lol. didn't get the headers or motor mounts installed as OC came up pretty fast... we will work it out... i can use a day off... again...lol
Old 05-29-2012, 02:32 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NOLAG05
I told my boss i was going to Mexico and our security officer went thru the roof
LOL...they tend to do that, they're twitchy little bastards. I had to get concurrence before I could book my trip, but we're going to Cozumel so it wasn't an issue. All the BS we have to go through, LOL.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Please dont pull the turbo 6 out of the T-type. IF you wanna do that swap find a non turbo regal that looks identical.

If you havenmt researched mods for the turbo 6 do it, cause for about 1500 bucks in performance stuff you WILL go 11s all day long. injectors, meth injection, 3" downpipe, tune, and tires.

BTW, weatherstripping and bumper fillers for the GNs etc are INSANE. They are like god damn gold. I had an 86 turbo T and my brother has an 87 GN.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mhhamrhead

Agreed. Especially with a car with such low miles on the clock. Someday down the line this mistake will be clear.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:36 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Please dont pull the turbo 6 out of the T-type. IF you wanna do that swap find a non turbo regal that looks identical.

If you havenmt researched mods for the turbo 6 do it, cause for about 1500 bucks in performance stuff you WILL go 11s all day long. injectors, meth injection, 3" downpipe, tune, and tires.

BTW, weatherstripping and bumper fillers for the GNs etc are INSANE. They are like god damn gold. I had an 86 turbo T and my brother has an 87 GN.
Originally Posted by kciaccio
Agreed. Especially with a car with such low miles on the clock. Someday down the line this mistake will be clear.

Don't worry fella's...no intention of pulling the Turbo 6 and have already got a decent list together for mods. I am looking at a goal of high 10's low 11's while retaining all the stock drivability and V-6 economy, should be a lot of fun.

I know the weatherstrips and bumper fillers are damn gold on these cars, good thing they make fiberglass replacements that don't rot like the OE one's do. Mine needs front and rear...think they're $250/set. Damn weatherstrips are going to be almost $500 b/c of the T-Tops.

I was looking at what it will cost to build the trans right in the Buick, and I think I can kill two birds with one stone by using the 4L80E rather than building the 200R4. I can get a stand alone controller for a GM truck/van application and tune it with HP Tuners that I already have. That way I can play with the trans shift points and pressures without ******* with springs and valves.

Looking forward to getting home!
Old 05-30-2012, 07:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does this have to do with CTS-V, Cadillac or LS?
Google BUICK post there

Originally Posted by DMM
Well, I found myself perusing Craig's List since I couldn't sleep one night (I know...the beginning of every regrettable event, LOL) and found something that I just could not resist. I called my pop's back home and had him rush out and get it for me...

'87 Buick Turbo T-Type....41k original miles, T-Tops, every option, and a few new parts (alternator, coil, plugs, etc). The bad thing is that it is 25 years old and has been sitting outside the last few years, so it needs paint, weatherstrips, upholstery, etc. All for the grand total of $1500.00!

Those of you who have come by my shop have seen the '84 I have with the 6.0 and 4L80 waiting to go into it...problem was that I was having a hard time finding a company that can get a title for it since it was a recovered theft (I was told the laws have changed, and Broadway will not do title service on a recovered theft vehicle).

Anyhow, since I got Buick V.2.....that 6.0 and 4L80E will need a new home.....
Old 05-30-2012, 11:22 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by furbe
Google BUICK post there
Says the homo who decided on the most annoying kid's toy in history as a screen name. Actually, I can see the relation. Have fun with your Gerbils asswipe.
Attached Thumbnails New Project-furby.jpg  
Old 05-30-2012, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hahhahahaa
Old 05-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Launching!

I was thinking of getting a GN before I got the caddy but once i sat in the caddy and the auto seat adjusted my decision was made. Bad *** cars tho. What can you say about a car (GN) that only came in black. Good luck with the build. Damn 6 clyinder kicking my v8 ***! lol...not really
Old 05-30-2012, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by furbe
Google BUICK post there
well, we like DMM, and apparently we do not like you, now.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RADEoN
well, we like DMM, and apparently we do not like you, now.
^this.

Quick Reply: New Project