Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Odd Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Odd Coolant leak

Haven't been driving my V much lately, just to and from work which is a total of 1.2 miles a day. I got it out last night to run to the gas station to pick up some smokes and was running it through the gears pretty hard, no powershifts or clutch dropping though, just rolling into the throttle as usual. Something weird happened right before I got back to my house, actually I don't know exactly when it happened but thats when I noticed it. My oil temp light started dinging as usual but my water temp was at a steady 220. I pull into my garage and I can smell coolant. Leave the car running and get out to check under the car and under the hood. There was no coolant reaching the garage floor, but when I popped the hood, there was coolant splattered on the air intake tube and all over the top of the radiator. It looked like the radiator had spewed like I pop bottle all along the top seam but it was hard to tell if the coolant was coming from somewhere else or out of the actual radiator. I left it running for awhile to see if I could find a leak and to monitor water temp gauge. I could find no evidence of leaking hoses or connections and couldn't find anymore leaking either, water temp stayed right around 225 as well. Checked everything this morning and no more leaking had occured and I topped the reservoir off with just a few ounces of dexcool. I'm at a loss as to what caused this interminent leak/spew, any ideas guys?
Old 08-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've recently replaced both my radiator and waterpump... Radiator had a small crack on the top by the overflow hose. Stock radiators (plastic) are garbage. If you plan on keeping the car for a while, upgrade to an alradco. After a week of having the radiator replace my water pump went. It was hard to see where it was leaking from, ended up being from the weep hole, you can tell by getting under the car. Thats common and the belt tends to throw the coolant up on the airboox, powersteer resoiver and anywhere else.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

Well thats great news.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

with only basic tools, its not too bad of a job... if you're not driving the car everyday order the parts online, water pump is less than $220.. alradco is more $ but ask anyone that put one in.... def worth the extra coin
Old 08-10-2012, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Oh I'm not worried at all about the install..it's the $$ that could be spent elsewhere that pisses me off.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The alradco is a fine specimen, but I decided to replace with a stock rad. If I have to replace again in 6 years, so be it. If you are racing the car, however, then alradco is the way to go.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

would you recommend an oem from gm parts direct or I also found a couple of aftermarket radiators $50 cheaper? OEM doesn't seem to be that great...
Old 08-10-2012, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

I got mine OEM from Amazon for only $200. I think the aftermarket ones are essentially the same deal. Not great, but will last a couple of years.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

This is it:

Amazon Amazon
Old 08-10-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

call up 1 800 radiator
Old 08-11-2012, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its your water pump. My low coolant light has been coming on for a few days & I could smell it a little. Couldn't find a leak and like you said nothing was reaching the ground. Last night my car upon startup had some belt squeel. When I got home I put it in the garage and popped the hood. There was coolant on my air intake hose, power steering pump, ect. So I looked all over the radiator but no luck. Just happens to look near the thermostat & noticed the top of the crank pulley wet. Watched for a minute then noticed the spot got bigger. Weep hole leak for sure.
My question is this: is the water pump on these cars different than say an LS1 or even an LS6 Z? Huge price difference on pumps.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

I think I found my leak at the top of the radiator at the port for the small crossover hose connects in. Hairline crack in the plastic. I wiped it clean with a shop towel and it slowly seeps out. I'll check the water pump too. This sucks camel dicks.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Vemon
I think I found my leak at the top of the radiator at the port for the small crossover hose connects in. Hairline crack in the plastic. I wiped it clean with a shop towel and it slowly seeps out. I'll check the water pump too. This sucks camel dicks.
Thats exactly where mine cracked...

I heard the ls6 z06 waterpump will work, but i think it has a larger pulley... I ordered mine from rockauto
Old 08-11-2012, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Vemon
Mine was leaking there, and then if finally CRACKED today when I touched it lightly while working on my CAI. Good thing I have a radiator sitting in my dining room.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

I tried putting some plastic steel putty on it. Helped some but still just slightly seeping out. I see a new rad in my future. Have noticed my oil temp gauge acting more sporadically now though, the dinging is driving me crazy!!

Quick Reply: Odd Coolant leak