Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

DMH low profile cutouts are installed... Wiring questions?? Come on in cutout guys!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 10:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DMH low profile cutouts are installed... Wiring questions?? Come on in cutout guys!!

Went to the exhaust shop this morning and had my DMH low profile cutouts installed on the V. I put them right behind the headers! Install looks great! Nice and tucked up under the car.

As far as wiring, where did you guys run your wires? What did you tap into for your power source and where did you put the ground?

Where did you mount your switch?

Not sure i want to drill my console to mount it right by my cup holder but i might. Either that or ill just leave it hanging somewhere so i dont have to drill my pretty console. lol

Im planning to wire them up later this afternoon. Headed to get the black wheels put on the car as we speak. Was hoping to get some good suggestions and input between now and when i start.

Thanks for the help in advance fellas!!
Old 08-16-2012, 11:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine is in the seat just in front of the lumbar adjust. Wired to the seat controls which are always hot and should easily support the motors in the cutouts. Doubtful I'd ever be opening cutouts while moving the seat. Nobody ever really sees me working the switch.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Mine is mounted up under and behind my steering wheel console. It's kind of inconvenient. But well hidden so you don't mess anything up that's good looking.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Both good ideas. I think I'm liking the seat idea cause it's low and less work to run wiring not to mention the switch would be in an inconspicuous spot. Only hesitation is that I'm going to be swapping to black seats from the grey soon so I wouldn't want to kill value on these by drilling holes in the side plastic. I was considering drilling my console but again, another thing I don't want to damage.

Anyone know what size drill bit is needed to drill for the switch?
Old 08-16-2012, 12:55 PM
TECH Junkie

I used some paddle bit... don't recall off the top of my head, but it may have been 7/16? Also, the hole needs to be pretty close to the lumbar switch for clearance to the track below. I drilled about halfway between the lumbar and the end of that flat surface and had to use some copper oil plug washers I found to space the switch up and off the track.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok. I may go ahead and drill the seat then and worst case scenario, I can always find a plug for the hole after I remove the switch later.

Would the power wire to the rear cig lighter plug work to power the cutout motors? Almost considering running the wiring to the console for now until I figure out a 100% solid solution. If I do that, I can ground to the metal under the console, use the cig lighter wire to tap into for power source, hide all wire under the console until I need it later and have the plug come out the side between the console and the drivers seat so it's easy access and still hidden since it'll lay right by the seat belt.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

Im getting the dmh at the end of the month, i'm not a fan of drilling into my dash or seat... I plan on paying the extra $100 and having it run thru the homelink buttons on the sunvisor. Not sure how many of you guys have done that, seems popular in the vette world

I'm thinking something like this:
http://www.droptail.com/jsce-auto-exhaust-cutout.html

Then programming it into the homelink

Last edited by BigTuna819; 08-16-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Damn... That would be a legit setup since those buttons are useless for me. Could have an open and a close button. I don't know how hard it would be to wire it up to work like that though.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:55 PM
TECH Veteran

I think for now until I figure out exactly where I want to put it, I'm just going to run the switch to my ash tray. Already have the wires for my nitrous run there anyway so as long as I have a little room, should work nicely.

Only concern is what I should use for my power source? I want to tap into an accessory power source right? Otherwise, power will remain constant even if the key is off which would be a negative thing right?
Old 08-16-2012, 04:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Not really. Mine is wired to a constant power source and I have no problems. I like being able to open and close them at any time.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:19 PM
TECH Veteran

That's true. I'll just use the lighter plug wiring for now. Makes for a much more simple install and if I want to get fancy with it later, I can. I just want them to be functional at this point and once my wiring is done under the car, I can move the wiring around on the inside to mount the switch at anytime. Think I'm gonna run to the parts store and pick up some of those T-taps to make this a clean tap. I don't wanna go cutting and taping wiring if I may move it later. Using those t-taps seems ideal so I can clip onto my power wire and crimp a connector on the DMH wiring to plug right on that nice and clean.

Are you running a relay on yours or did u just connect directly to the wiring? Does that wire push enough power to operate the cutouts without popping the lighter fuse? If so, I won't worry about a relay on it.

As far as a ground, should I go to a ground wire on that same lighter plug harness or just use a self tapping screw and screw it down into the metal under the console?

Last edited by NeverSatisfied02; 08-16-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:35 PM
TECH Junkie

I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself. The wiring that came with the cutouts is pretty complete. I think the taps came with it. No relay necessary as the switch is fully functional once power is connected. I don't remember connecting a ground wire either, just pos and neg.

The cig lighter should be more than ample to support these throttle motors.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine are welded in right before the mufflers. I wanted to put them after the headers, but I also didn't want to cut into the Kooks HF cat pipe either. Regardless, I probably can't help you with the wiring (I went through the wheel well, under the back seat for power, and through the center console). The one thing DMH should do is send a round switch...drill bit and be done. That rectangular switch makes it more difficult to mount IMHO.

I ended up putting it next to my leg on the side of the center console. Hee are some pics. Kinda hidden, but easy to access.
Attached Thumbnails DMH low profile cutouts are installed... Wiring questions?? Come on in cutout guys!!-dmh-cutout_switch_1.jpg   DMH low profile cutouts are installed... Wiring questions?? Come on in cutout guys!!-dmh-cutout_switch_2.jpg  
Old 08-16-2012, 06:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Nice mount spot. Mine came with a little round rocker switch so I guess they changed hardware at some point. I've run the wires from the console area under the carpet, out the little cut outs in the floor board and ran it to the cutouts with the wiring being nice and clean and tucked away using zip ties where I could. Looking good so far. Mounted the little cutouts switch in the ashtray with my nitrous switches. Worked out pretty good. A couple of t-taps and im all hooked up.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to install mine so bad but I'm missing the flanges.. Can anyone here fab some or know a vendor that sells them? Or, if someone has a pair I can borrow to have them duplicated locally please let me know. I will gladly compensate you. Even a few pics with a ruler next to them might suffice...

I ordered a set of flanges and a new wiring harness direct from dmh and they never shipped them. Then wouldn't answer the follow up phone calls or emails. I was pretty disappointed. I expected a delay based on everything I'd read about them but they said they had them in stock and would ship that week.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Wow man, that sucks. I was going to suggest ordering just the pieces u need from them. Nevermind... Lol
Old 08-16-2012, 09:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Well... T-taps worked flawlessly! Got it all hooked up and working now. WOW IS IT EVER LOUD! Lol I mean I knew it was going to be but damn... Almost think I'll never run them open. Lol nah... Who am I kidding!? Lol I'm sure I'll use em quite a bit.

I have no cats, no resonators and 3" B&B with the x-pipe. Cutouts are just a few inches behind the collector in the area where the kooks catless connectors go.

Last edited by NeverSatisfied02; 08-16-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just remember 3-4 seconds is all you should hold the button to open and close. The number one leading failure is caused by people holding the button too long.

Putting a cutout at the end of the downpipe and putting a full size muffler on the cobra was my favorite mod, it goes from literally stock sounding to mildly loud.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the tip bro. I find myself holding it to make sure it's open or closed completely. From now on, I'll do a 3 second count to save the motors. Also since its just layin in my ash tray and not actually mounted in a fixed position, I put a little sticker on it with a O and a C so I don't have to guess anymore which way to push it. Saves straining it when I hit the wrong one first. I'll get it mounted solid soon.

It is fun though!

Mines similar to that but moderately loud with them closed and waking the dead loud with them open... Lol

Last edited by NeverSatisfied02; 08-17-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:42 AM
Teching In

I have my switch mounted on the underside of the driver's dash - out of sight and just little bit of a lean down to push the button.

Does anybody else experience rattle from theirs? I've had mine for a few years (DMH low profile) and they don't seem very well sealed anymore.

Also, I have to turn off the traction control or my car will sometimes kick the ABS on to a particular wheel because the inside of the car is shaking so much it thinks i've lost control of the car.

Quick Reply: DMH low profile cutouts are installed... Wiring questions?? Come on in cutout guys!!