Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

need some info /looking to buy a v

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 05:26 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default need some info /looking to buy a v

Ok im getting a lil tired of driving the ss all the time and today on the way to work i saw a black v, sounded just like my big cammed ss,i thought it was beyond badass, and i just thought i need one, something i can dd year round and still have a fun car, im looking at the v1s (i think thats the first years) i just need to know what price range am i looking at? Also how much do modded vs go for, im going to do some searching but i figure i would ask you guys, thanks
Old 09-21-2012, 05:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was selling my V (2007) , I was looking to get 21-22k for it. Eventually I took it off the market as I couldn't part with it. Everyone will tell you how weak their rear-ends are, etc but I love mine and have had zero problems with it. It has all the comforts of a Cadillac and is a blast to drive. I'm biased towards the 2007 (Ls2 with 3rd revision rear-ends).
Old 09-21-2012, 06:10 PM
Captain Double Post

See im not hard on my ss,still has the 10 bolt lol, few burnouts once in a bluemoon, but i just really do some highway pulls every now and then,what can i get around the 14 to 17 range? Thats kinda the most i wanna spend,unless i sell my camaro,is the 07s a better year? Whats the good years ? This will be a big purchase for me so i wanna make sure i get a good one,also how is the gas mileage on them?
Old 09-21-2012, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
See im not hard on my ss,still has the 10 bolt lol, few burnouts once in a bluemoon, but i just really do some highway pulls every now and then,what can i get around the 14 to 17 range? Thats kinda the most i wanna spend,unless i sell my camaro,is the 07s a better year? Whats the good years ? This will be a big purchase for me so i wanna make sure i get a good one,also how is the gas mileage on them?
I just purchased an 06 Maggied V with 67k miles. It's hard to say exactly what I paid because I traded for my 05 Corvette. I bought it from a dealer in Atlanta who took it in on a trade, but they also sold it when it was new.
I has the receipt for just over 9k in mods, including the Maggie, CAI, lung tube headers, and a custom tune. It was owned by a 63 year old guy who treated it very well. I swear it still smells like a new car when you climb in it.
The dealer was asking 26k....my vette was worth around 20k. I gave them the vette and 2k out the door.
I did a lot of searching and for an 06 or 07 with the LS2 motor and the better rear ends (which were the only years I wanted because that was the motor that was in my vette) depending on the miles, you will be around 20. High miles and beat up will be in the 15 to 20 range. Low miles, stock, and in great shape, they're asking 20 to 25.....based on my research only!
I didn't look much at the 04 and 5's because I wasn't in that market.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get some good ones in the 14 to 17 range in my opinion. Test drive and check ALL of them. I drove some 50k ones that drove like complete crap. I ended up settling on a private sale '06 with a 3rd gen diff with a little over 100k... I'm at 130,450+ as of today. Dyno'd 372 solid few days ago, compression tested 180+ all cyl even about a week ago. No leaks nothing. Only real things I've had to change in the year since I've abused this car has been a diff bushing and motor mounts.

It was listed for 17 on craigslist, but I talked him down to 14k cash. Thats nothing compared to some of the deals I've seen on here for something like 11k or so. You keep an eye out, I think you'll find one for sure. Just test drive em. Some people maintain em, some people don't.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I heard there was a pretty mean one for sale in TX. He's lookin for around 20k though, but well worth it.

I'd highly advise buying from a forum member.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 contact neversatisfied02 he has a cammed/n2o/8.8 one for sale.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok im getting a lil tired of driving the ss all the time and today on the way to work i saw a black v, sounded just like my big cammed ss,i thought it was beyond badass, and i just thought i need one, something i can dd year round and still have a fun car, im looking at the v1s (i think thats the first years) i just need to know what price range am i looking at? Also how much do modded vs go for, im going to do some searching but i figure i would ask you guys, thanks
I too had a cammed + bolt-ons 01 SS that I really liked but had to sell 5 years ago.
I picked up my 2005 V last year for $12.9k with 96k miles.
For the price I thought that for sure there was something wrong with it, since most other V's I was looking at were $18k+,
but went to look at it anyway and everything checked out well.
It has the 3rd gen diff as well. Many 04-05 V's have the upgraded diff, so don't let that rule them out.
Doesn't burn any oil, and I change it at about 7500 miles, Redline Synthetic.
Just had an oil test done at the last change and it checked out with flying colors.
So my point is that there are some really well taken care of V's out there, that even with high mileage will still run well for a good while.
I like the V more than I did the SS because you can fit more people comfortably and it is a more complete performance car IMO.
I can throw it harder into a turn than I ever could with the SS.
also how is the gas mileage on them?
I average 19.xx mpg mixed and 25-28 highway. Just a little lower than the SS.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

I paid 15k for my 04 with a Maggie and long tubes had 90k on it. Added a cam and a smaller pulley and still managed 25 on the highway. Blast to drive love the car.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:09 PM
Captain Double Post

Well i drove a 05 today, loved it but didnt care for the price, 23 is a lil high imo, but for sure a really nice car, after looking at a handful of cars at least i know now what i want, i do wanna stay in the high 15range, just because i have 10 in cash, i hate car payments and always try to pay things off asap and to borrow very lil, so the older ones have the ls6,and newer ones the ls2, not talking brand new just 07 n up
Old 09-22-2012, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

My modded 05 is for sale. 35k miles blk/blk 402 LS2 fully built. HRE's etc. In 07 it made 549rwhp/524rwtq its at the shop now getting a nice dyno retune and lookover before official sale to make sure all is on the up and up. PM me if interested. About 5k miles on motor/trans build.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BudRacing
I heard there was a pretty mean one for sale in TX. He's lookin for around 20k though, but well worth it.

I'd highly advise buying from a forum member.
I'll expand on this a little. I had a similar mindset when I was in the market. A friend of mine wanted to sell me his for 21k and it had a LOT of nice upgrades. I passed thinking I could pick one up for less, and I did. However, what I've spent making this one what it is still doesn't touch what my buddy's was AND I've got well over 21k in mine now.

Bottom line is if you buy one "stock" and think it's a better deal you may be mistaken. Dual mass flywheel/clutch, Motor mounts, trans mounts, shifters, and differential bushings are all garbage from the factory. Aftermarket replacements will run you about $1500 in parts alone (rough estimate). Then you've got fluids which may be unknown of their condition. That's all before you touch on anything cosmetic which may strike your fancy.

Spending a little more up front for something you KNOW is right can be well worth it in the long run.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

Well i drove a 05 today, loved it but didnt care for the price, 23 is a lil high imo, but for sure a really nice car, after looking at a handful of cars at least i know now what i want, i do wanna stay in the high 15range, just because i have 10 in cash, i hate car payments and always try to pay things off asap and to borrow very lil, so the older ones have the ls6,and newer ones the ls2, not talking brand new just 07 n up
04, 05 = LS6
06, 07 = LS2

I fully understand where you are coming from with the car payments. I'm the same way. Every car I've owned, I've paid cash for, including the V.

Test drive it. Make sure there's no leaks, no major diff whine in 5th and 6th gears around 45mph while accelerating, make sure clutch doesn't slip under wot, hard braking has no side swerving bias, etc. Bad clunking on gear change when the clutch is pressed in means shot diff bushings, etc. Check all 4 tire treads. I've seen bald fronts with decent rears... because people try to be slick. LOL
Old 09-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BudRacing

Bottom line is if you buy one "stock" and think it's a better deal you may be mistaken. Dual mass flywheel/clutch, Motor mounts, trans mounts, shifters, and differential bushings are all garbage from the factory. Aftermarket replacements will run you about $1500 in parts alone (rough estimate). Then you've got fluids which may be unknown of their condition. That's all before you touch on anything cosmetic which may strike your fancy.
I don't agree with this, they might not stand up to abuse, but they are not garbage. My '04 has 70k miles on it, and all of these parts listed above are still as tight as they were the day I bought it. Only thing I've had to replace is a transmission and that was due to a sixth gear harmonic vibration that was an issue on an entire batch and had nothing to due with wear/tear.

I think unfortunately a lot of these cars were owned by folks that should have bought mustangs/camaros and have lived lives that a $50k performance sedan shouldn't have lived.

Now the argument could be that GM should have designed it stronger and I'm not sure if I disagree with it.

I will agree that for 95% of the cars you look at, I would expect to be able to put the $1,500 worth of parts in it. Good to know going in for sure.

Jay
Old 09-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

As an FYI my cammed and bolted 06(LS2) CTSV is for sale. To sets of wheels. Spare brand new LS7 clutch kit and a brand new nitrous kit I havent installed(failing to see the need).

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...ts-wheels.html

just throwing it out there. No issues. I DD the car 8miles to work and occasional shows/cruises.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

Where were u drivin? Not too many here in Cleveland....
Old 09-25-2012, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

04-05 have the LS6, 06 and 07 have the LS2.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:58 AM
Launching!

I'm selling mine also.

05 w/ 72k miles. $18.5k

It's not cammed, or sprayed, or anything cool. Just triple black, lowered, and no mufflers
Old 09-26-2012, 08:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jashearer
I don't agree with this, they might not stand up to abuse, but they are not garbage.

Stop misleading the OP, those parts are GAR-BAGE!!
Old 09-26-2012, 09:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Motor mounts that last 30k are garbage. Period.

Quick Reply: need some info /looking to buy a v