Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

When factory parts break its time to upgrade (crank pulley problems)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Default When factory parts break its time to upgrade (crank pulley problems)

So while driving my A/C stopped working. I drive 10 more miles to my destination and pop my hood and what do I see? Belts are off the pulleys because of my crank pulley coming apart / separating into two pieces. I'm glad I stopped as this could have been really bad. The rubber that is supposed to hold the two pieces are out of the pulley and in my engine compartment. I chose to go with the Fluidampr pulley (standard size) and man this is a world of difference. It feels like a new car!!!! After I upgraded to the UMI motor mounts I could feel more vibrations but it didnt bother me. The Fluidampr should be your next upgrade. I have 130K on my engine so you might want to check your crank pulley balancer. Even though a little wobble is "acceptable" I would change out the stock pulley even if it is still "good". Took about 2.5 hours from start to finish to do.

Here are the pics:

Old 10-12-2012, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a nice pulley... I have a hunch that mine is on its way out since I have a pronounced vibration around 2k RPM... I doubt it's the clutch/flywheel since that was replaced almost a year ago with an ACT kit... Any particular site you ordered this from?
Old 10-12-2012, 07:25 PM
TECH Resident

Summit racing was the cheapest and fast shipping!!!
Old 10-12-2012, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that is bad!
I am in the process of changing mine this weekend because I noticed the rubber insert is cracked, but nothing like yours.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by azn2dmax
Summit racing was the cheapest and fast shipping!!!
Sweet thanks... I was gonna ask for the part number, but I figured I'd look at the picture and get it that way
Old 10-12-2012, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So I've got a dumb question... I've got a SC and I'm assuming my crank is now pinned (previous owner installed)... Is this pulley out of the question for me or can I key this one? I know there are other options out there, but I'm curious about this
Old 10-12-2012, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

I was going to pin it but decided not to. I don't know how that effects the warranty. I would call Fluidampr or the choice of your aftermarket pulley to see what they say.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by azn2dmax
I was going to pin it but decided not to. I don't know how that effects the warranty. I would call Fluidampr or the choice of your aftermarket pulley to see what they say.
Will do... Thanks

Quick Reply: When factory parts break its time to upgrade (crank pulley problems)