Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

HELP think my block is taking a sh!t

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP think my block is taking a ****

Anyways to make a long story short it seems like my block may take a crap here soon. I have been hearing a louder than normal clicking/ticking (assuming its piston related) upon acceleration 1200-1900 rpm especially in lower gears 1-3. It seems the noise dissapears above 2500k completely but then again maybe the exhaust and all drown it out. Ticking is worst at cold startup and I also noticed more vibration as though my cam became larger. Basically a rougher idle to put it simply but the rpms seem o be stable where they should be at idle. Codes I show are the po121 and the 122 i believe (the lean bank codes) and now I also threw a po101 which has me stressing. Noise seems to be loudest on passenger side of the engine. And it seems to vibrate more on that side as well when idling. Think Im also loosing oil. Piston rings? Overall aside from this damn loud click/tick the car still seems to pull pretty normal granted i havent really taken it above 3500-4000rpm and ussually only up to 2500 since I've been scared. im hoping maybe a bad plug or some small crap may cause a misfire or whatever this noise is (bent rod?). My engine temp is normal at 190ish, the oil pressure is 33idle-46 or so depending on acceleration I'm all over with this thats why I figured i'd ask some one here who knows way more than I. Tried loading vids on here with my phone but was not able to at the moment will try to update with several sound vids shortly. In advance sorry for the long writeup people and thank you
Old 10-20-2012, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad lifter is my first thought.. Do a compression Test and see what u get
Old 10-20-2012, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

If your getting lean codes you could be detonating which should explain that sound.. do a fuel pressure test.. P0121 P0122 are both TPS codes. P017x is a lean code.

Last edited by FknBoss; 10-20-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:40 PM
Staging Lane

Also could be a exhaust manifold gasket they tick and can pull in air giving a lean code. I'm also not far from you. I'm in Robesonia if you can't get it figured out I can look at it in person.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:45 PM
8 Second Club

I have been seeing a lot of lifter failures lately. Especially in cars with aftermarket cams. Not isolated either. From ls1's to current ls3's. Lifter noise is normally quite loud, and can make you chase your tail trying to figure out if it's drivers or passenger bank. Obviously because the cam is in the middle! The rollers on the lifters mess up, then wipe out the lobe on the cam.
Pull your oil filter and cut it open to rule out a main or rod bearing failure.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I think the problem is that you're revving the engine to 2500k (2,500,000). It's just not designed for that.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by veee8
I have been seeing a lot of lifter failures lately. Especially in cars with aftermarket cams. Not isolated either. From ls1's to current ls3's. Lifter noise is normally quite loud, and can make you chase your tail trying to figure out if it's drivers or passenger bank. Obviously because the cam is in the middle! The rollers on the lifters mess up, then wipe out the lobe on the cam.
Pull your oil filter and cut it open to rule out a main or rod bearing failure.
hey veee8 sorry to be so naive but what am I looking for in the filter aside obviously metal scraps. What would point it to a rod or main bearing? Just iritating i didnt change the lifters when I had the damn crap out to begin with. But then again a car not even making 450rwhp is not what expected this from considering all the crap other people push on their cars on stock bottom. The cam has been in for 7k miles and she takes a poop. From reading other threads it seems like people say their noise gets much worse when the car heats up but I hear it cold and hot about the same. Due to the rough idle of a cold cam its kind of hard to tell when its worse hot or cold.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

Compression test it.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FknBoss
Also could be a exhaust manifold gasket they tick and can pull in air giving a lean code. I'm also not far from you. I'm in Robesonia if you can't get it figured out I can look at it in person.
If you could do that you would be my hero ) I do only live but 30 min from you in lititz pa and I can still drive it...for now fingers crossed
Old 10-20-2012, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Everyone creates their own little MOD HELL.

You should have changed the lifters when you could.

However, I bet your header gasket is kaput or loose.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here are those vids I said I would put up the engine bay vid is a cold start. The other vid is at normal running temp. Bent rod? Lifter? Header hole/leak? Plug wires/spark plug? some timing issue? My money is on the piston rods unfortunately. Car has ran at least 200 miles since noticing this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7dhT...ature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfVK5...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

Hmmm. Hard to tell. Sounds like a cracked manifold... but could be a lifter. What I usually do to check for an exhaust leak you can't see is get some seafoam in the booster line so it smoke like hell.. if it smokes out the engine bay you know you have a leak. Its awfly loud to be block.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

You think you could do the video at the VC again and rev it a bit so we can hear how the sound reacts. Also can you pull the cel codes so we know the exact code too
Old 10-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

Also doesn't sound to have a miss plus you'd throw a code because the noise it constant. The count of misses to throw the light would certainly be exceeded
Old 10-21-2012, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

I'll trade you a nice 350z for it lol even with the noise.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Hmm, does not sound like a tick. Codes can be misleading with mechanical problems.

Physically ( not eyeball ) Check your Harmonic Balancer
Old 10-21-2012, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

If harmonic balancer the sound should be more front and centered and not prominent on the passenger side. But I wouldn't rule it out. Try and check everything you can. I might be able to meet up with you next weekend. Codes sometimes aren't accurate but if you understand them correctly they always point you in the right direction. Codes are often misunderstood specially when stacked.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

this is rod knock. I do not think it's rod knock. My guess is a collapsed lifter.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

here is another video and a pic of the trouble codes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMy_p...ature=youtu.be

The headers have been leaking since day one but was tuned with them present.
Attached Thumbnails HELP think my block is taking a sh!t-wp_000039.jpg  
Old 10-21-2012, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FknBoss
Hmmm. Hard to tell. Sounds like a cracked manifold... but could be a lifter. What I usually do to check for an exhaust leak you can't see is get some seafoam in the booster line so it smoke like hell.. if it smokes out the engine bay you know you have a leak. Its awfly loud to be block.
+1 for the seafoam trick
We did that to my friend truck to found the exhaust leaks.

Quick Reply: HELP think my block is taking a sh!t