Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Just got pulled over

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 10:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got pulled over

On my way to work.

1: Got a ticket for Exhibition of Acceleration. What?! I was passing an old lady doing like 20, didn't even hit the limit. I think he just heard me

2: He told me ANY aftermarket exhaust is legal. Saying they just make and sell them like head shops do bongs?

Any advice on clearing up the ticket, and is he just a doucher, or are ALL aftermarket exhausts illegal?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:10 AM
FoD
On The Tree

States have different rules. There is a decibel level for NC. If he doesn't have a video, or radar time-clocked of you speeding, then contest it, and it will most likely get tossed. Just remember, he is most likely a tool, with a small tool.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Exhuasts are not illegal, however noise level is. So, since he did not give you a loud exhuast ticket and it was speed related with no proof then my guess is if you contest it, it will be dropped.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

depends on where you are at. here in WV any muffler other than stock (in loudness) is considered illegal, although it doesnt really get used unless you are being a dick (not saying you were).

Exhibition of Acceleration sounds like a street racing citation you got. i would probably contest that one because i doubt an old lady was racing you.

best bet is to pay the muffler citation and see if he will drop the street racing cause that one will screw you. i dont know where you are from, but maryland suspends your license for that and it is reciprical to WV, PA, and VA

also, lay low for a while.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That'd be a trophy for me - street racing an old lady! Priceless!

You can always call a lawyer to see what he'd charge to fight it.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

Haha I'm from MO. I just got a warning for the muffler thing. I had exhaust in my 79' Z-28 and got pulled over all the time, only a handful of tickets (I lived in a small town where cops would pull U turns to follow you for awhile), never mentioned exhaust. Just weird to me.

And right, totally not racing. Never broke the limit. He said it was because he could hear in my exhaust I accelerated rapidly? My dad had a lawyer friend I have used before. I'm so sick of lawyer fees and dealing with cops just wanting to get a ticket off..
Old 01-24-2013, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

I dont think exhibition of acceleration is considered street racing is it? I thought that was speed contest...
Old 01-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MylesF7
I dont think exhibition of acceleration is considered street racing is it? I thought that was speed contest...
They are 2 separate charges here, not sure about MO.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:38 AM
TECH Resident

Exhibition of Acceleration just means you accelerated too fast (or dangerously) for the situation. We all do it all the time, you got caught, just pay the stupid ticket. If your state says anything louder than stock is illegal, then that is the way it is...again, pay the ticket.

Fortunately we don't have that exhaust law here. When I was running that huge cam with the cutouts open in the V, I got compliments four or five times from police officers and never a ticket
Old 01-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

I would love to just pay the ticket. But my insurance is already crazy, so I'm going to my attorneys after work. I actually have a cam and had my cutouts open when he heard me, but closed them when I saw the cherries and berries.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful! Years ago a friend of mine got a ticket for the same two reasons (In Florida with his 4.6 Stang with flowmasters only) and he fought them. He ended up with a reckless endangerment charge for TWICE the money. The judge was just as much a D-bag.

I would pay it and then just bitch about it for a year or so...
Old 01-24-2013, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

That's insane.. My friend just told me he got like 6 tickets at once, one being a Exhibition of Acceleration and paid $400 for it all to go away
Old 01-24-2013, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

never pay tickets!!!!! contest everything!!! 99% of the time they will throw it out or reduce the fine in half. you dont need a lawyer for traffic tickets, just for stuff like reckless etc
Old 01-24-2013, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
never pay tickets!!!!! contest everything!!! 99% of the time they will throw it out or reduce the fine in half. you dont need a lawyer for traffic tickets, just for stuff like reckless etc
Amen!! Always contest, personally I have pre-paid legal. Pay $15 a month and anytime I get a ticket I just call them up and either they show up to court for me or tell me what to do. All my tickets have been dropped or at a minimum reduced. Just paying tickets is bad sense, destroys insurance rates.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

What is this Pre-Paid Legal?!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
*True story
Old 01-24-2013, 11:11 PM
Teching In

This is for here in Illinois. Says any aftermarket exhaust should not be any louder than the OEM exhaust.

(625 ILCS 5/12-602) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12-602)
Sec. 12-602. Mufflers, prevention of noise.
Every motor vehicle driven or operated upon the highways of this State shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler or exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise. No such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device. No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all the requirements of this Section.
(Source: P.A. 77-37.)
Old 01-24-2013, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If aftermarket exhaust is legal in your state I'd go to court and tell the judge you were passing an old lady, you got a little frustrated with her dangerous and weaving driving , you thought she was a drunk or medicated driver so you passed her in a hurry...the officer heard your exhaust and mistook it as aggresive driving.

If after market exhaust is illegal in your state, I'd pay the ticket and take a defensive driving cours (if available).

I'm curious tho why you passed the old bat with your cutouts open? I have cutouts and open them if I'm goofing off or at Wide open throttle but if I need torque or launch I leave them closed.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Broski
What is this Pre-Paid Legal?!
http://www.legalshield.com/corp/individuals
Old 01-25-2013, 06:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My buddy was a cop, and from what he tells me, any part of a vehicle that's aftermarket could be ticketed.

Quick Reply: Just got pulled over