Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

RevShift bushings/flexdisc install, car useless after 15mph

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default RevShift bushings/flexdisc install, car useless after 15mph

I installed the revshift cradle bushings, trailing arm bushings, trans mount insert, and driveshaft coupler. I buttoned everything up, took it for a test drive, and after 15 mph, the car shakes violently. I'm not talking a little vibration from the solider mounts, I'm talking like I'm driving with hexagonal wheels.

Tomorrow, I'm taking the flex disc out and replacing it with stock... does anyone have any other ideas before I do that?
Old 02-10-2013, 09:15 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you sure the C.V. at the end of the drive shaft is ok? Did you mark the driveshaft before you removed it to ensure you installed it in the same phase? If not, try unbolting the driveshaft at one end and spin it 90* and tighten everything back down.

It could just be that you have the driveshaft out of phase. Other than that, I would suspect the flex disk. The RevShift trans insert caused a mild highway vibration in mine with the OE driveshaft (which is now gone with the 8.8" kit), although nothing like you are describing.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone NOT have terrible vibration with the flex disk?
Old 02-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DMM
Are you sure the C.V. at the end of the drive shaft is ok? Did you mark the driveshaft before you removed it to ensure you installed it in the same phase? If not, try unbolting the driveshaft at one end and spin it 90* and tighten everything back down.

It could just be that you have the driveshaft out of phase. Other than that, I would suspect the flex disk. The RevShift trans insert caused a mild highway vibration in mine with the OE driveshaft (which is now gone with the 8.8" kit), although nothing like you are describing.
I read about this somewhere else and it was caused by not installing it in the same phase.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:49 PM
TECH Resident

So I just put a new driveshaft in my car, I guess I guessed lucky mine has zero vibration. Of course I have stock couplers.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DMM

Ok thanks. I'm not sure if the driveshaft being misaligned would be relevant. I've seen people talk about that, but can't see how itd be relevant.

https://www.revshift.com/flexdiscinstall.php

I'm thinking its severely misaligned and causing this.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:49 PM
Launching!

See attached:

Here is a description of the operation of the propeller shaft:

Propeller Shaft Description and Operation (CTSV)
The propeller shaft is a tube with rubber couplings at both ends which do not require periodic maintenance, that transmit power from the transfer case or transmission output shaft to the differential.

Propeller Shaft Description
A center bearing assembly is used to support the propeller shaft connection point, and help isolate the vehicle from vibration.

Propeller Shaft Phasing Description
The propeller shaft is designed and built with the yoke lugs, ears, in line with each other. This produces the smoothest running shaft possible. A propeller shaft designed with built in yoke lugs in line is known as in-phase. An out of phase propeller shaft often causes vibration. The propeller shaft generates vibration from speeding up and slowing down each time the rubber coupling goes around. The vibration is the same as a person snapping a rope and watching the wave reaction flow to the end. An in-phase propeller shaft is similar to 2 persons snapping a rope at the same time and watching the waves meet and cancel each other out. A total cancellation of vibration produces a smooth flow of power in the drive line. All splined shaft slip yokes are keyed in order to ensure proper phasing.

Center Bearing Description
Center bearings support the driveline when using 2 or more propeller shafts. The center bearing is a ball bearing mounted in a rubber cushion that attaches to a frame crossmember. The manufacturer prelubricates and seals the bearing. The cushion allows vertical motion at the driveline and helps isolate the vehicle from vibration.

Based on my reading of the Service Manual the phasing is controlled by the postion of the splines particular to each of the two halfs of the driveshaft. If you are disassembling the halfs you are instructed to mark each one so that upon reassembly the original postion can be maintained. Based on reports in this forum, I gather that the factory marks may, or may not still be on the shaft. If that is the case the process is pure trial and error to see which spline alignment minimizes vibration.

This came from Darkman on cadillacforums
Old 02-11-2013, 08:18 AM
12 Second Club

Check the rear of the dirveshaft, thats what was bad on mine cause deathly vibrations above 15. Its possible it was bad and that when you were working on the driveshaft you disturbed it.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DACTARI
Does anyone NOT have terrible vibration with the flex disk?
I have ZERO vibration from the Revshift Flex disc. Are you positive that it installed the washers in the correct location?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you have any vibration issues prior to installing these new parts?

Quick Reply: RevShift bushings/flexdisc install, car useless after 15mph