Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

steering wobble

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default steering wobble

I just picked up the car after having suspension adjusted and hotchkis sways installed with powerlinks.

At 55mph and up the steering wobbles bad. Im guessing the sway bar is upside down as the hotchkis stickers are right side up?

I took it in for an alignment and they said I was maxed on negative camber passenger side.

Any ideas?
Old 02-13-2013, 05:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Hotchkis stickers are supposed to be right side up.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by psychobillycaddy
I just picked up the car after having suspension adjusted and hotchkis sways installed with powerlinks.

At 55mph and up the steering wobbles bad. Im guessing the sway bar is upside down as the hotchkis stickers are right side up?

I took it in for an alignment and they said I was maxed on negative camber passenger side.

Any ideas?
What were your toe settings?
Old 02-13-2013, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Hotchkis stickers are supposed to be right side up.
I found some old posts where people found them to be upside down.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Onefast V
I cant find the alignment results in the paperwork they gave me. Ill call and get it from them.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Onefast V
toe was -.08 when I took it in and they set it to +.12
Old 02-13-2013, 06:04 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How would the sway bar or endlinks cause a vibration? They are static unless going around a corner or over bumps, aren't they? I would think a tire, rim, tie rod, etc. would be more of the culprit here.

Adding to this...I've never had an alignment issue cause a vibration outside of a bent or worn part such as a tie rod, pitman arm, split ply in the tire, etc. However, it's been a long time since I did this on a daily basis or set something up on a Hunter machine. Interested to know the outcome....

Last edited by DMM; 02-13-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DMM
How would the sway bar or endlinks cause a vibration? They are static unless going around a corner or over bumps, aren't they? I would think a tire, rim, tie rod, etc. would be more of the culprit here.
Dude I wouldnt think so either. It wasnt doing it before i had them installed and the coilovers set. Now its doing it. Thats why I thought maybe it was installed upside down and is pulling the control arm at some wierd angle. Im lost on this one.

Thats what I get for not doing my own work. I got lazy. Now I dont know what was done that could cause this.

and its not like a vibration. The steering wheel actually moves back and forth left to right at 55 miles an hour...alot
Old 02-13-2013, 06:22 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

and its not like a vibration. The steering wheel actually moves back and forth left to right at 55 miles an hour...alot
That sounds a lot like a split ply in the tire. Have you jacked up one tire to see if there is any play side to side? Do you have a spare tire that you can throw on there?
Old 02-13-2013, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Ill get the tires balanced tomorrow to make sure. I just talked to the installer and he thinks he put it in upside down.

He said they matched up the sway bar with the old one the first time he installed it but the sticker was upside down so he reinstalled it thinking Hotchkis had it right
Old 02-13-2013, 06:51 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Let us know what it turns out to be, really strange. Don't mean to change the subject, but while you're here....did they ever get a fix for the tensioner problem?
Old 02-13-2013, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DMM
Let us know what it turns out to be, really strange. Don't mean to change the subject, but while you're here....did they ever get a fix for the tensioner problem?
Yah PM me your shipping address and Ill give it to my contact at Edelbrock to hook you up.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:54 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks man! PM on the way!
Old 02-13-2013, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you install the front Hotchkis sway bar upside down it is almost impossible to install the end links. If you manage to install the endlinks, they will break when the car is lowered to the ground. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

those powergrids might be able to hold...

question is, how are the roads where OP lives?

is the wheel straight or cocked to the side?

is the wheel just moving easier than normal without input, or is it steady shaking back and forth even on a nice flat road? there's a difference in 'movement' and sh*t about to wobble apart haha...

I had a similar problem, my steering was all jacked up after installing some super stiff suspension. My (stock) bar was upside down and there was alot of preload on it... Every groove or rut in the road was making the car dart all over. I ended up flipping it right side up with some zo6 links and it got alot better... it seems like the hotchkis (and my eibach for example) would be almost impossible to install upside down.....unless you had adjustable links.

the alignment could be messed up too...There could be alot more toe in/out due to the setting changes, causing it to hunt, especially if one wheel is off in one direction and it's constantly fighting/ trying to correct against the other one.

uneven tire pressure?
Old 02-16-2013, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

We flipped the bar today and its much smoother. I still get a little vibration but I think its the balance on the tires.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=Cadzilla;17145269]those powergrids might be able to hold...

question is, how are the roads where OP lives?

Houston roads? Lets just say they use our road taxes for something other than the roads.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:49 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

We flipped the bar today and its much smoother. I still get a little vibration but I think its the balance on the tires.
Interesting. Never thought a sway bar could cause that. Thanks for sharing.

[QUOTE=psychobillycaddy;17152462]
Originally Posted by Cadzilla
Lets just say they use our road taxes for something other than the roads.
Sounds like the People's Republic of Maryland...where everything gets diverted into the "General Fund" so there is funding for special interest programs.

Quick Reply: steering wobble