Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Hey all, it's been a while and need me some motor mounts...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 01:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RADEoN
Not sure why so many people blow certain vendors.
Demonizing them is not much better.

-------------------------------------------------

Here is the proof that has been posted in several other places:

Old 03-01-2013, 01:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the similar issue of the driveshaft smacking against my modified stock shifter (AZN) after installing the trans insert, which I cured by swapping the pivot cup upside down, then swapping to a UUC shifter which has no issues. The thing is, since the modified stock shifters have the welded extension on the bottom of them, you can't blame revshift for their trans insert making the trans to tall because the shifter has an added 3/4" or whatever it is added to bottom of it which obviously isn't how the stock setup was designed.

I'm honestly not trying to get into any sort of pissing match with anyone on this forum, because I feel that everyone has some necessary knowledge to contribute to nearly every subject posted on this forum, but it's hard to blame Revshift for something that was modified out of stock proportion (Extension on bottom of modified stock shifter).

So far, my experience with Revshift (motor mounts, trans insert, diff bushing and cradle bushings) has been awesome. They have delved into a niche market that very few vendors have even dared entering and for that, I applaud them. They seem to offer similar customer service to us as Creative-Steel does, free replacements when something fails, yet besides Fuzzy, I see very few people railing them out about there melted and deformed motor mounts when they send free replacements on the drop of a hat.

All I'm saying from this long and overdrawn post that I should of never even typed in the first place is that, Revshift doesn't deserve the blame for their trans insert causing an issue with a shifter that has a metal extension welded to the bottom of it, because with a stock shifter, KaTech or UUC it doesn't cause any issues.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Did I say the mount made it vibrate and that's why I didn't like it? Oh I didn't? Yeah I know. His "one time run" of this mount will still cause my stock flex disc to hit my shifter linkage.

Not sure why so many people blow certain vendors.
That's totally inappropriate. You have been spewing angst all over this forum today. Cool off. I don't want to see you banned for a day of indiscretion--we want you on this forum.

The Revshift mount does not raise the transmission. There are pictures and measurements available that prove that the Revshift insert does not affect the height of the mount. Most users (including myself) report considerable 2500 RPM+ vibration initially, but that it eventually settles out. As to why this happens, I can only speculate that it's a side effect of installing what is essentially a harder, stock height transmission mount in a system with sagging OEM motor mounts. As a result, the motor cranks the back end of the transmission up at a weird angle, putting unwanted flexure on the coupler.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c

The Revshift mount does not raise the transmission. There are pictures and measurements available that prove that the Revshift insert does not affect the height of the mount. Most users (including myself) report considerable 2500 RPM+ vibration initially, but that it eventually settles out. As to why this happens, I can only speculate that it's a side effect of installing what is essentially a harder, stock height transmission mount in a system with sagging OEM motor mounts. As a result, the motor cranks the back end of the transmission up at a weird angle, putting unwanted flexure on the coupler.
He has UMI motor mounts, though. I've seen reports they're slightly shorter than stock, so perhaps that's why.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I really doubt this mount is that much harder than a UMI mount that literally has no give in it.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:11 PM
TECH Resident

I really doubt this mount is that much harder than a UMI mount that literally has no give in it.
OK, I guess I'm confused. What kind of motor mounts are you running?
Old 03-01-2013, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm talking about the trans insert being harder than the UMI mounts.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:41 PM
JDB
Launching!

Old 03-01-2013, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

Old 03-01-2013, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

How are you confused, man? Fuzzy said that the insert was making the saggy stock motor mounts crush, which wasn't the case in my situation. (nice Lebowski reference btw)

I talked to revshift as we've been exchanging PM's, and I supposed I'm going to be the guinea pig for the 95a trans insert. I intend on either shaving the bottom of it down a little bit to change the gap width, or using thicker washers to lower the transmission and bracket down the required amount to clear the coupler. I'm also tempted to try the aftermarket unit, but will not promise anything.

I understand that the new mount in the picture is 7/8 of an inch... but look at the bottom and top of that. While the gap is the same, it looks as if it's hitting the bottom of that bolt, and stopping any form of crushing down that the stock mount is designed to do under torque.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hopefully you guys can hash this out! Brian and Kevin are good guys just because they both have cars pushing great power doesn't mean you shouldn't work with them to resolve little issues.. Personally i used to run CS mounts all over my old car I ended up having a problem almost a year after installing the diff bushing! Max replaced it no questions asked free of charge and I openly admitted how I drove my car it saw redline in 1st-4th every day I drove it day in and day out. I even drove it in New England winters...
Old 03-01-2013, 06:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Whats the height of the trans mount with insert installed?

The stock height is around 2 1/4" plate to plate outsides not accounting for any squash factor.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Tony. I'm over in Coconut Grove if you wanna give the CS mounts a feel. Just moved down at the beginning of February. Shoot me a PM if you wanna meet up sometime.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Revshift
Anyone else with a trans insert and aftermarket shifter feel free to post up.

The insert DOES work with aftermarket shifters. All of the shifters are a bit different, obviously. If your linkage is rubbing then it has been said that you can flip the pivot cup to create clearance. I have read of people having this clearance issue even WITHOUT the trans insert.

The trans insert is exactly the same size as the opening the a new trans mount. It is physically impossible for it to make the trans mount taller. If it were installed backwards then it wouldn't seat properly which would cause an eighth of an inch difference. But, that would be an installation issue and not the part's fault.
I'm running a UUC Short Shifter and don't have any issues, no have any issues with the MM's Trans mount or Diff Bushing. Everything is fine on my car and I honestly do think all the upgrades made a difference.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Revshift
Anyone else with a trans insert and aftermarket shifter feel free to post up.

The insert DOES work with aftermarket shifters. All of the shifters are a bit different, obviously. If your linkage is rubbing then it has been said that you can flip the pivot cup to create clearance. I have read of people having this clearance issue even WITHOUT the trans insert.

The trans insert is exactly the same size as the opening the a new trans mount. It is physically impossible for it to make the trans mount taller. If it were installed backwards then it wouldn't seat properly which would cause an eighth of an inch difference. But, that would be an installation issue and not the part's fault.
I recently bought some RS motor mounts and a trans mount. I'm running a PISSNUOFF/07CTS-V shifter (very short with no material added on the bottom), stock exhaust piping with an x-pipe instead of the resonator.

After installing the trans mount I had the issue of the DS coupler hitting the linkage on every rotation in 2nd and 4th. My pivot cup was already flipped on shifter install so I flipped the shifter plate bushings per post #5 from:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...riveshaft.html Clearance still looked tight so I raised the shifter with some $.95 reducing 1-1 1/4 washers from Lowes.

The next problem was the DS rotating/vibrating against the stock exhaust piping on the driver side behind the x-pipe/resonator location. My local exhaust shop heated the junction and slightly bent the piping to gain clearance to solve this problem.

The trans insert is a good quality product, it is a defininate improvement over a stock/worn mount. However, it would've been very helpful to know all of these tweaks were required. I was thinking the flipped pivot cup/shifter plate bushings would've been enough and had no idea about the DS problem.

Not sure if my problems were amplified by still having leaking/stock garbage motor mounts? Just wanted to share my experience for others, now time to install the motor mounts with stock manifolds...

Mark
Old 03-05-2013, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lt197formula

Not sure if my problems were amplified by still having leaking/stock garbage motor mounts?
Mark
Almost certainly, yes.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default miami

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Hey Tony. I'm over in Coconut Grove if you wanna give the CS mounts a feel. Just moved down at the beginning of February. Shoot me a PM if you wanna meet up sometime.

Your not that far from me either. Maybe we could meet up. Would like to see your car.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At first I figured the vibration found after installing UMI mounts was just a figment of some one over sensitive imagination. Then I figured it was some one's overly sensitive ***.

But after thinking about it, I think it's installation error.

UMI uses a cradle and seat design. The bushed end sits in a cradle. If either of the two mounts is clocked slightly off, preload of the bushing is introduced.

The preload lessens the bushing's ability to dampen.

I installed mine loose, clocked them properly, marked their location and then did the final assembly.

JMHO ...

Quick Reply: Hey all, it's been a while and need me some motor mounts...