Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

custom strange coilovers on my V1, swaping rockerarms out and a new tranny

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 03:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default custom strange coilovers on my V1, swaping rockerarms out and a new tranny

so i couldnt find any coilovers that were more drag race oriented for the v1s and all the decent coil-overs that i did find are in the 2600$$ range and up.
sadly strange dosnt sell any thing that will work off the self in the double adjustable version. so i am going to modify the strange ones they do sell. after measuring the stockers i found thtat strange had one that was almost the same stroke and length. just the mounts on both side of the new ones are spherical bushings. i need atlest one side to have a fork style mount to attach to the lower shock mount on the knuckle.the best way i can see to adapt the new socks is to unscrew the baring off the shaft side and make a new steel piece with the same 2 steps in it that the old one had to hold the spring perch. im going to reuse the forks off the stock shocks to cut down on cost and i think they are plenty strong enough. the adptor will be made of steel so i can weld the stock fork to it.

the top mounts are going to be much easier, just a plate a little bigger then the old one with some tabs on it for the shock to mount to. for some added strength ill sandwich a 1/8" plate top and bottom

im still waiting on my guy to cut the parts for me but i post what i have so far

kinda scary cutting a chrged shcok, i went very slow with a grinder and then finished the cut off with a fine toothed sawzall

while my car was up on jack stands i figured i do a oil change and clean some other stuff up.by the grace of god while the oil cap was off i grabbed a flash light and looked in the hole. low and behold the rocker next to the oil cap is missing the C-clip to hold the baring on, well most of the C-clip is missing. i pulled the VCs and found 3 others that were ether missing or mostly missing. i also found about 1/3 of a C-clip next to one of the valve springs. WTF
long story short after alot of effing around and phone calls i ended up getting a set of comp ultra golds to eliminate the problem of the shity comp trunuin upgrade kit.

the baring walking out the opposite side

i aslo got a new boost controler that will do boost by gear based on VSS vs RPM as me e-boost2 will not

lastly i got a new T56 magnum that ill be swaping in here very soon. likly right after i get the coil-overs done

billet cromoly yoke

i guess thats good for now lolz
Old 04-03-2013, 03:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Let me know how you like the new transmission. I'm very interested in hearing any thoughts that you might have on shift quality/synchro performance.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ill keep you updated, everything i have read says the shift quality is far better then the stock T-56 and it can take alot more power stock
Old 04-03-2013, 04:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Can I ask what you paid for the Magnum? Or at least a ballpark figure?
Old 04-03-2013, 04:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

3,050$$ shipped from summit. they have them in stock and i had it in 3 days. cant beat that
Old 04-03-2013, 04:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Subscribed. So you're not a fan of the trunion upgrade? Im glad i read thos thread before i went and bought one.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Subscribed. So you're not a fan of the trunion upgrade? Im glad i read thos thread before i went and bought one.
not at all. i know at lest 3 guys in my area that have had the same thing happen, one cost him a big $$$ motor.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by runsfromdacops
3,050$$ shipped from summit. they have them in stock and i had it in 3 days. cant beat that
Right, but those have not been adapted for the CTS-V. If you're planning on fabricating a new linkage for your car, I'll offer you a couple hundred bucks right now to make a second copy for me.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Right, but those have not been adapted for the CTS-V. If you're planning on fabricating a new linkage for your car, I'll offer you a couple hundred bucks right now to make a second copy for me.
I'm also interested in something like this.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:03 AM
TECH Resident

Solid third on this, my stock t56 is about the poop some synchros after the abuse I've put it through between auto cross and such. Need a simple option to beef it all up.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dmax/04V
Solid third on this, my stock t56 is about the poop some synchros after the abuse I've put it through between auto cross and such. Need a simple option to beef it all up.
thread jack but has anybody tried this option for trans upgrade?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...ansmisson.html
Old 04-03-2013, 10:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by garrettg
thread jack but has anybody tried this option for trans upgrade?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...ansmisson.html
In the interest of ensuring future maintainability, installing a standard transmission (and potentially biting the bullet and installing a new, shorter driveshaft and 8.8 differential) is a better deal than paying $4k+ for a custom, one-off job that limits you to weird CTS-V parts.

Says the guy that opted for 6-lug wheels instead of doing a 5-lug conversion.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll be following this...
Old 04-03-2013, 11:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not at all. i know at lest 3 guys in my area that have had the same thing happen, one cost him a big $$$ motor.
Did you contact Comp about the issues?
Old 04-03-2013, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

In the interest of ensuring future maintainability, installing a standard transmission (and potentially biting the bullet and installing a new, shorter driveshaft and 8.8 differential) is a better deal than paying $4k+ for a custom, one-off job that limits you to weird CTS-V parts.

Says the guy that opted for 6-lug wheels instead of doing a 5-lug conversion.
the cs 8.8 has a slip joint in the center (DS)that will give you about 3-4 inches before it bottoms out.. if that helps
Old 04-03-2013, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
the cs 8.8 has a slip joint in the center (DS)that will give you about 3-4 inches before it bottoms out.. if that helps
the slip part of the DS is on the rear part of the shaft. you can not slide the front part at all as its held in by the rear damper thing.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my plan is to use the stock cts-v shifter Assembly, and the top shifter cup thing from the old tranny, ill be making mount to the new tranny and adjusting the shifter to fit.

if all goes well i might start selling this a kit, as i know alot of use v guys are starting to need new trannys
Old 04-03-2013, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That sucks on the trunion upgrade.

I did Mr. Vette a while ago, now I have to pull the valve cover and take a look.

I may have to install that #1500 rocker assembly.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i was shocked when i looked in the VC an saw that **** adn to be honest im not impressed with the ultra golds ether. i droped one of the new rockers off my work bench (36"s) and it put a big dent in the end of the rocker.. holy **** these things are made of tinfoil.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

yeah i was shocked when i looked in the VC an saw that **** adn to be honest im not impressed with the ultra golds ether. i droped one of the new rockers off my work bench (36"s) and it put a big dent in the end of the rocker.. holy **** these things are made of tinfoil.
I installed a Comp Cams #1500 rocker assy in my V.

A lot of work, but IMO it was worth it.

Quick Reply: custom strange coilovers on my V1, swaping rockerarms out and a new tranny