Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Intermitten Servce Stability System Warning

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Intermitten Servce Stability System Warning

This has happened maybe about 4 times now. All very randomly, upon starting the V up the Service Stability System warning goes off. I turn the car off, and back on again, and the warning is gone. Anyone experience this before, have an ideas what could be going on?
Old 10-21-2013, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jcollege
This has happened maybe about 4 times now. All very randomly, upon starting the V up the Service Stability System warning goes off. I turn the car off, and back on again, and the warning is gone. Anyone experience this before, have an ideas what could be going on?
My CTS-V did that last week. I think it's the Steering Wheel Position Sensor.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...r-install.html
Old 10-21-2013, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be a wheel hub. Speed sensor is built into the hub/bearing assembly.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Could be a variety of things. I had something similar a few months back and it ended up being the front right ABS wheel sensor.

I would take it to the dealer and have them pull the code. If you're close to Lindsay there in NoVA, then Robert will probably do it for free (at least, that's how he treated me ). Down here in Hampton Roads I had to pay an hour diagnostic for them to hook up the Tech2 and read the codes.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my V used to flash it while driving 60+mph when my rear tires were bald as ****. happens in my car every time they start to get bald
Old 02-18-2014, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by jcollege
I have the same issue with my 04 CTS-v right now. I took it to the shop to have the water pump replaced. They fixed the coolant leak, but right after I started up the car I hear the "bong" and service stability system in the display. I have read somewhere else in the forum that it can be caused by loose battery connections. I'll be checking that in a few.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by dre2013
my V used to flash it while driving 60+mph when my rear tires were bald as ****. happens in my car every time they start to get bald
I had this problem a few months back. I replaced the steering wheel position sensor and it stopped. The dealership could not pull any codes to figure it out so I had to get them to do the repair at my will "without cause" lol. Even after they test drove it and saw the problem.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Usually it's the connector in one of the front wheel hub assemblies. Check and make sure the snow, salt, and road debris hasn't snapped it, tugged it loose, or corroded the contacts.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

I had that problem and it was the right rear sensor. Somehow it came off the bracket and slowly but surely the wire tore
Old 02-18-2014, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Usually it's the connector in one of the front wheel hub assemblies. Check and make sure the snow, salt, and road debris hasn't snapped it, tugged it loose, or corroded the contacts.
That's what mine did.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine too
Old 02-18-2014, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If any of the wheel hub sensors are loose or open wire that'll do it.

Mine did it when it was -18 to -15F this winter. When it warmed up closer to zero later that day it went away and has not come back since.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

Mine happens on occasion, when its very cold out, and you move the steering wheel on startup.

Once the car is warm and I turn the car off and on again, I don't see it at all.

I think its the SWPS also, but only seems to be affected when its cold out.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Mine does it when the front right wheel hits a hard bump or pothole. The sensor is loose as one of the plastic securing clips is broken and adding zip-ties hasn't fixed the problem so far. May need to wrap it with electrical tape for now.

It also activates my traction control around a slightly bumpy corner when it senses a wheel speed difference.

Others described may be the SWPS.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:48 PM

What would it cost to repair it it had snapped?
Old 02-19-2014, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Codelete
What would it cost to repair it it had snapped?
I had to replace a rear hub because the wire broke so close to the hub, there was not enough wire to resplice.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

SWPS, wheel sensors, or the yaw sensor under the center console (I don't think anyone mentioned this one yet). I hate the random engagement. Not a fan of my car trying to kill me.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Mine does it when the front right wheel hits a hard bump or pothole. The sensor is loose as one of the plastic securing clips is broken and adding zip-ties hasn't fixed the problem so far. May need to wrap it with electrical tape for now.

It also activates my traction control around a slightly bumpy corner when it senses a wheel speed difference.

Others described may be the SWPS.
After securing the sensor I thought was loose, it didn't change. So I ordered a new Timken wheel bearing and replaced it today thinking the wiring or the sensor were bad. Nope, again, no change.

Going to have to find a shop with a TechII. Avoiding taking this to the dealer as it will end up costing me a bundle for some BS item to fix.

My Air Bag light is also on and displays on each startup.

This thing is costing me just as much as a nice new car. Lesson learned.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

op, i fixed this issue on my 2005 V by cleaning all the wheel speed sensors and putting some dielectric grease in the fittings to keep water out.

Originally Posted by BudRacing

My Air Bag light is also on and displays on each startup.
fixed this with dielectric grease as well. took apart all the connections under the passenger seat and cleaned the contacts with alcohol and then slopped in some dielectric. air bag light went away after that.

Quick Reply: Intermitten Servce Stability System Warning