Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What did you do to your V today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 09:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jcollege
Turkey baster PS fluid flush, wow that fluid was absolutely terrible even had a burnt smell
That sucks. The pumps become damaged over time when the fluid is kept in this poor state. Do flushes more often and watch it, unless you want to replace a burnt up pump like I am about to do. Glad you got some of that nasty stuff out!
Old 04-17-2019, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Dropped the headers and cat pipes off for coating on Friday. Place does the same Cerakote that Byron mentioned; I'm going with satin silver. On Monday they called to tell me that when they blasted the headers to clean 'em up, they found some cracking along a couple welds. So today I went back over there to retrieve the headers to get the cracks welded up. The coating place is in an industrial park (not surprisingly), and there was an exhaust shop in the vicinity, so I was able to do a "walk-in" at the exhaust shop, get the welds fixed up, then brought the headers back and dropped them off again. Should be done early next week.

I didn't get any pics of the cracks. Two were pretty small, and I'm not even sure were full cracks - may have just been a bit of a crevice where the weld bead was pulling away from the tubing. But there was one spot on the passenger side header that was definitely a crack - I could look up through the collector and see daylight where that tube was coming into the merge. Looked like JBA's welding robot (I assume) just didn't get good penetration on the tubing.

The presence of the cracks briefly made me wonder if the tick I heard back in the fall (which led to me cutting short a track event and parking the car ever since) was just a header leak. I'm fairly certain the answer is NO. The biggest crack was on the passenger side header, and the tick noise I heard was definitely coming from the driver side. And I've had header leaks before on other engines, and the tick I heard on the V didn't seem like the same sort of noise.

The coating shop had already finished the cat pipes, so I was able to pick those up. Last week I got some stainless M10-1.5 rod and stainless nuts from McMaster-Carr, so I can cut the rod into 4 pieces and install new stainless studs in the cat pipe flanges to bolt up to the cat-back exhaust.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Dropped the headers and cat pipes off for coating on Friday. Place does the same Cerakote that Byron mentioned; I'm going with satin silver. On Monday they called to tell me that when they blasted the headers to clean 'em up, they found some cracking along a couple welds. So today I went back over there to retrieve the headers to get the cracks welded up. The coating place is in an industrial park (not surprisingly), and there was an exhaust shop in the vicinity, so I was able to do a "walk-in" at the exhaust shop, get the welds fixed up, then brought the headers back and dropped them off again. Should be done early next week.

I didn't get any pics of the cracks. Two were pretty small, and I'm not even sure were full cracks - may have just been a bit of a crevice where the weld bead was pulling away from the tubing. But there was one spot on the passenger side header that was definitely a crack - I could look up through the collector and see daylight where that tube was coming into the merge. Looked like JBA's welding robot (I assume) just didn't get good penetration on the tubing.

The presence of the cracks briefly made me wonder if the tick I heard back in the fall (which led to me cutting short a track event and parking the car ever since) was just a header leak. I'm fairly certain the answer is NO. The biggest crack was on the passenger side header, and the tick noise I heard was definitely coming from the driver side. And I've had header leaks before on other engines, and the tick I heard on the V didn't seem like the same sort of noise.

The coating shop had already finished the cat pipes, so I was able to pick those up. Last week I got some stainless M10-1.5 rod and stainless nuts from McMaster-Carr, so I can cut the rod into 4 pieces and install new stainless studs in the cat pipe flanges to bolt up to the cat-back exhaust.
I think you will be pleased with the cerrakote. I was definitely suprised at how well it's held up.

I want to get some more and do my new cats for my GMPP cat back I have on it's way here, and to redo my headers in the titanium color.

-Byron
Old 04-19-2019, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Forgot that the shop had emailed me pics of the weld cracks:

First one is the passenger side header, that was the big crack - in person it looked worse than the picture seems to show. Second one is on the driver side, I think it looks worse in this picture than it did in person.

Coated cat pipes with new stainless hardware installed:

I bought a 300mm threaded rod from McMaster-Carr and cut it in 4 pieces. I may be able to cut them down a bit more (weight reduction!), I don't recall how much thread protrusion I had before once the cat-back was installed.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ignorant here, but wouldn't coating the cats eliminate their capability to function, or are they not coated internally?
Old 04-19-2019, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I’m sure you wouldn’t coat the insides.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, the guts of the cats aren't coated. There's a bit of overspray that gets in to the ends of the piping from doing the flanges.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rjoffe
Ignorant here, but wouldn't coating the cats eliminate their capability to function, or are they not coated internally?
Doesn't have any bearings on longevity if that's what you are asking.

It does however block a good part of the heat that comes in via the floors.-Byron
Old 04-30-2019, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Pulled the intake manifold off and did some cleaning of the valley cover and the sealing surface of the heads. I was struck once again by the somewhat arbitrary details in the FSM. In the procedure for IM removal it tells you to remove the MAP sensor and the PCV breather hose from the valley cover to the IM, but doesn't say anything about the vacuum line to the brake booster. It says you can remove the IM, TB and fuel rails all as one assembly, but doesn't say anything about disconnecting the fuel feed to the fuel rail. Just seems strange to me - either point out all of the interference removal that needs to be done, or don't point out any of it.

Tomorrow, if the weather cooperates (I'm working in the driveway, and there's a chance of PM thunderstorms), I'll get the driver side head off and see if I can find anything suspect that would have caused the ticking noise. I need to find a good box or container of some sort of organize all the rockers and pushrods when I pull that stuff off.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Pulled the intake manifold off and did some cleaning of the valley cover and the sealing surface of the heads. I was struck once again by the somewhat arbitrary details in the FSM. In the procedure for IM removal it tells you to remove the MAP sensor and the PCV breather hose from the valley cover to the IM, but doesn't say anything about the vacuum line to the brake booster. It says you can remove the IM, TB and fuel rails all as one assembly, but doesn't say anything about disconnecting the fuel feed to the fuel rail. Just seems strange to me - either point out all of the interference removal that needs to be done, or don't point out any of it.

Tomorrow, if the weather cooperates (I'm working in the driveway, and there's a chance of PM thunderstorms), I'll get the driver side head off and see if I can find anything suspect that would have caused the ticking noise. I need to find a good box or container of some sort of organize all the rockers and pushrods when I pull that stuff off.
Amazon boxes and ziploc bags got me through a complete engine tear down and rebuild on my Jeep!
Old 04-30-2019, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, that's what I've done before, too. I just need to go raid my supply of Amazon boxes in the basement to find one that's a good size to keep everything straight.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Dropped off wheels to get powder coated. Stay tuned.

I may have some Forgestar F14’s for sale

Old 05-01-2019, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

They look awfully narrow.

What are they? I see some lettering at the end of one of the spokes, but can't make out what it says. And what finish are you going with?
Old 05-01-2019, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

^^^Funny guy

They are Zone Wheels model 3 I think. Popular in the Porsche scene. I think it was the only set made for the CTS-V. They are local in Cali from the guy I bought it from. The color will be a surprise!

They look awfully narrow.

What are they? I see some lettering at the end of one of the spokes, but can't make out what it says. And what finish are you going with?
Old 05-01-2019, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I still shake my head and think of the engineer that decided to make the V a 6 lug
Old 05-01-2019, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

Need 6 lugs to hold the wheels on with all the power!!! Duh

Originally Posted by jcollege
I still shake my head and think of the engineer that decided to make the V a 6 lug
Old 05-02-2019, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

Started on pulling the head, then realized I had forgotten to hit Autozone to pick up the PS pump pulley remover so I can unbolt the PS pump from the head. Doh! So, instead of continuing work on the car, I made the trek to Autozone and got the tool. I'll re-attack today after work.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Leave the pump on the bracket and just unbolt the bracket. I’m 99% sure that’s how I did it
Old 05-02-2019, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

I didn't remove the pump from the bracket, I just needed to unbolt the bracket from the head. But the pulley blocks one of the bolts, so I had to remove the pulley first.

Head is off, lifters are out. Some maybe questionable wear on a couple of the lifter rollers, I'll take a better look in the next couple days and probably take them all to the V tech @ Lindsay to see what he thinks.

Note the dryer sheets on the valley cover. I stuck a few around the engine bay a while back after finding this when I popped the hood:

I read online that dryer sheets are a good way to keep critters out. Seems to have worked in this case, I never saw any fresh evidence of visitors after I stuck the dryer sheets under the hood.

Last edited by AAIIIC; 05-08-2019 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hit the rollers yesterday. Got basically stock power level results.

I wanted to get a baseline and logs for the upcoming heads and cam swap.

Found some technical issues with the air filter being plugged up and MAF was dirty. I also found evidence of a damaged harness connection at the MAF. AFR stayed between 11.9-12.8 averaging 12.2-12.4. I will get that right before I proceed.

I believe this may have been the source of my cars over enrichment during the run. Melted part of the back bumper also.

Now that I have established the number to beat, I'll be going forward as soon as my parts arrive.

-Byron

PS the smoke in the background is my plastic melting.

https://byronsworld.smugmug.com/Cadi...JNKN/i-ZhsZHXz

Quick Reply: What did you do to your V today?