Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What did you do to your V today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

I got my Innovate DB2 wideband functional again.

Sometimes it's the little things that we overlook that bite us in the behind.

After tearing my hair out, chasing wires and getting to the point where I was ready to buy a new one, I checked the fuse. Not visually or with a meter and probe, but physically removed it and inspected it. It had come apart and would barely make contact, just enough to come on and flash it's promise of displaying my AF ratio, but not enough to continue functioning. It was literally a digital equivalent of torturing me.

Now I can afford and continue my progress and finish up my journey. Seeing something that's been half dead come back to life always feels good. Even if it's something simple like a wideband.

Moral of the story is always check the basics, and never skip a step when troubleshooting.

-Byron
Old 08-20-2019, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Byron

I got my Innovate DB2 wideband functional again.

Sometimes it's the little things that we overlook that bite us in the behind.

After tearing my hair out, chasing wires and getting to the point where I was ready to buy a new one, I checked the fuse. Not visually or with a meter and probe, but physically removed it and inspected it. It had come apart and would barely make contact, just enough to come on and flash it's promise of displaying my AF ratio, but not enough to continue functioning. It was literally a digital equivalent of torturing me.

Now I can afford and continue my progress and finish up my journey. Seeing something that's been half dead come back to life always feels good. Even if it's something simple like a wideband.

Moral of the story is always check the basics, and never skip a step when troubleshooting.

-Byron
This is fucked. Good job finding it. As an Eaton/Cooper employee I apologize if it was us.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by isis
Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Also received new cat seals (the donut gaskets between the cat pipes and the rest of the exhaust) from Trubendz. They've apparently changed their design since the last time I got some from them; I'll post up comparison pics later if I remember.
I would like to see what they’re doing different. They worked great but that mesh just kind of rusted away from the inside out.
Old version (on the top):

New version:

It seems like it's some sort of coating. I don't know if it's a coating over the old metallic mesh type I've gotten from them previously, or a coating over stock type material (whatever that stock type material is ), or not a coating at all.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old version (on the top):

New version:

It seems like it's some sort of coating. I don't know if it's a coating over the old metallic mesh type I've gotten from them previously, or a coating over stock type material (whatever that stock type material is ), or not a coating at all.
Yikes.

As with any new product. Good luck
Old 08-20-2019, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yikes.

As with any new product. Good luck
Do you have a link to those? I'm installing some kooks cats in the next few weeks and can't find them on the market here.

-Byron
Old 08-21-2019, 06:07 AM
TECH Addict

I think this is the 3rd time I've ordered a pair from Trubendz, and I've never gotten a part number from them. I emailed them (actually, I forwarded them the email chain from the last time I ordered them a couple years ago), they sent me a Paypal invoice ($35 for the pair), I paid and they shipped. I'll forward the emails to your gmail address.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think this is the 3rd time I've ordered a pair from Trubendz, and I've never gotten a part number from them. I emailed them (actually, I forwarded them the email chain from the last time I ordered them a couple years ago), they sent me a Paypal invoice ($35 for the pair), I paid and they shipped. I'll forward the emails to your gmail address.
That’s how I got a spare set for the cats I bought from them. After an accident my body shop used whatever they could find and it didn’t seal as well. These can’t be beat imo but they do rust out.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Got the wideband calibrated yesterday.

Getting everything wired up so I can data log it via HP tuners. Figured it's time I got serious about getting everything squared away.

-Byron
Old 08-22-2019, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Byron
Got the wideband calibrated yesterday.

Getting everything wired up so I can data log it via HP tuners. Figured it's time I got serious about getting everything squared away.

-Byron
Got it up and logging, but with a delay between the gauge and what HP tuners is showing.

I selected the preset for innovate lc2 controller.

Anyone have input on how to adjust it?

-Byron
Old 08-25-2019, 09:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 05CTSV
Built a mount to hold the new Aeromotive 15 gallon cell. Still have to make the straps to lock it down. Should have all the lines made up and connected today.

Removed the stock tank and while I had the cradle lowered it was a good time to finally put on the Creative Steel trailing arms.
Nice! That cleaned up a lot of the rear!
Old 08-27-2019, 03:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Scored big on a used set of kooks long tubes. $225.

I'll be doing back to back dynos between them and the chinasetters for kicks.

-Byron
Old 08-29-2019, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

I emailed Trubendz about the different appearance and got a response:
Originally Posted by Trubendz
Yes, we have used both seals in the past. The manufacture sends us either one, unfortunately we can’t choose.

The coating is graphite, which will harden over time to mold into seal. The inside are pretty much the same on both types. Sorry for any confusion.
So, apparently there's some company out there that makes these for Trubendz. Figure out who that is, and you can get them even cheaper (since you won't be paying Trubendz as the middle man).

I've been out of town the past week, but over the long weekend will hopefully get some **** accomplished on the car. First step will be to install the cat pipes using these fancy new graphite-coated seals.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got my radio ***** mounted. They look absolutely amazing, and I'll be powder coating them satin black to complete the look.

Thanks again to my friend in Germany who made em, he is not making any more.

-Byron

Last edited by Byron; 08-31-2019 at 06:07 AM.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I love that you stated "He is not making any more" knowing that was going to be the first question from tons of us!
Old 09-01-2019, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Repairs / mods

I finally got around to doing some repairs/mods. The input shaft had a little play, so I also replaced that bearing too.

Creative steel shifter components added

New slave cylinder install time, since the previous one was leaking. Fun times underneath the car cleaning all that fluid off the exhaust and body.

Nice and clean again.

Added a heat shield to protect cables and lines

Valvetrain off.

One of three broken springs found.

More fun.

The saga continues on switching to some AFR dual springs. Tony Mamo gives decent deals on AFR components if you guys ever need anything from him.

Time for some gforce axles. I’ve had them for a while, and finally got some time this weekend to install them.

Tearing apart the outer CV was a bear. The test run will be later today. I was beat from this Texas heat.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

- Saturday I successfully fucked up one of the new cat seals while trying to fix something that wasn't broken. So, need to get one from the dealer or Trubendz again. Got the drive side cat pipe and new O2 sensors installed.

- Sunday my gf and I partially dropped the headliner so I could get to the rear sunroof drains. Months ago I had cleaned gunk out of both rear drains where they go through the trunk into the rear wheel wells, but I was continuing to get moisture into the car (as evidenced by water accumulating in a DampRid dessicant bucket I've left in the car while it's been sitting in the driveway forever). We removed the A-pillar trim and the front dome light/sunroof console, turned out to be unnecessary since we were able to get to the rear drains without having to drop the headliner completely. Removed the rear seat "oh ****" handles, which was a total bitch - the little plastic covers just did NOT want to come off. Passenger sail panel was already removed due to my earlier leak troubleshooting, so we removed the driver side sail panel, too. Removed the rear dome light, then carefully pulled the rear of the headliner down. Used my shop vac to blow air through the drain lines from the sunroof end (got some mung out of the driver side one), then sucked from the trunk end, then blew air up from the trunk end. Air seemed to be passing through them both just fine, so we reconnected the hoses to the sunroof assembly, then put the bolt back in the rear dome light so the headliner wasn't half hanging down (and potentially getting deformed while doing so).

- Today, once again taking advantage having the gf over at the house, I torqued the ATI damper in place with the ARP bolt. I think that somewhere in my garage I have a flywheel holder tool that someone gave me a while back, but I have no idea where I may have stashed it, so we did it the old-fashioned way - had her stand on the brakes while I torqued the bolt.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

- Saturday I successfully fucked up one of the new cat seals while trying to fix something that wasn't broken. So, need to get one from the dealer or Trubendz again. Got the drive side cat pipe and new O2 sensors installed.

I have one from them and don’t run those cats anymore. Can’t ship it till Saturday but let me know.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

I have one from them and don’t run those cats anymore. Can’t ship it till Saturday but let me know.
Thanks. I was able to pick one up (GM 12555555) from Lindsay today. Normal retail $38ish, wholesale $28ish, Luke @ Lindsay special pricing - $21 out the door. I'll run one Trubendz and 1 OEM for now, and compare them whenever I have to take the exhaust apart again.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

- Installed the passenger side cat pipe with the new seal from the dealer.

- Reinstalled the dipstick. Had to unbolt the starter so I could see where the hell to stab it, then bolted the starter back in place.

- Reinstalled the front wheels so I could get the front end down off the jack stands. Started torquing the wheels on, then realized I had never installed the passenger side O2 sensors. Doh!

- Jacked the passenger front back up, removed the wheel, installed the O2 sensors, reinstalled the wheel (again), put the car down on all 4 wheels.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

Finally got around to trying to check pushrod length. I've done this before, back when this engine first went in the car, but it's been 8 or 9 years, so I'm a little rusty. I checked #1 I and E, then did #5 I and E, then #3 E before calling it quits. #1 and #5 agreed pretty well, so I was feeling good about my technique, but then #3 was off by quite a bit. It doesn't help that stupid me already installed the plugs and wires (obviously the wires aren't hooked to any coil packs yet), which makes the engine resist rolling over, and I was too annoyed with myself to just remove the plugs.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your V today?