Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What did you do to your V today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 12:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

Interior work is all complete, and it's amazing!

The leather-tex material really keeps me planted, the reduction in seat cushion height and using medium density foam makes the seats way more comfortable over imperfect pavement with the stiffer suspension setup.

I couldn't be happier with the results. The new styling cues are the icing on the cake as it goes perfectly with the paint and other interior cues.

Getting in and out of the car is also 100% easier now and as a bonus I have enough space to wear a helmet in the car now. Removing 1/2" off the seat back helps the side bolsters do their job and keeps you locked in nicely.

The new floor mats are about 3/4" thick, super plush and don't move under the pedals like the stock ones do.

The blue accent stitching really helps tie everything together, and that's grade 2 alcantera panels in the seats. The end result is a seat that's a half measure from a full racing seat, keeps me planted in the car and also feels super amazing going down even an imperfect road.

Going in for a graphene coating next week and then I'll be able to just chill and enjoy the car for the rest of the year.

-Byron

The following 3 users liked this post by Byron:
CTSM (05-14-2021), kra86 (05-15-2021), wretched73 (05-14-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 02:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That **** is nice!
The following users liked this post:
Byron (05-14-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 09:09 AM
Launching!

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts

The only area where I feel the V didn't get the treatment it deserved from GM was the interior.
What you did right there is pretty close to the level it should have come out back then compared to the competition
It's awesome to see the finished product was definitely worth the effort, I'm sure.

I as well feel strongly about refreshing / improving my V's interior.
Actually I already have acquired new old stock seat cover parts, upgraded floor mats and what not, just waiting on having free time to take the seats apart.
So not exactly going a custom route, just want my V to look OEM'ish and new again.

My headliner has been on the list for a while as well, but not sure when I finally do it if I want to go alcantara or just fabric paint it black or something else that is black.
Byron (05-14-2021)
Old 05-15-2021, 05:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was always fairly happy overall with the V1 interior, but being tall I always felt it could be improved upon.

I have slowly built a swiss army car, that can daily, track, drag and just otherwise enjoy abusing when the mood suits.

Here is a quick little video I shot on the way home from the interior shop.

-Byron
Old 05-17-2021, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

Nice vid, Byron, that upholstery came out REALLY nice. BTW, why you wearing that mask...in the car...by yourself?
Old 05-17-2021, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Nice vid, Byron, that upholstery came out REALLY nice. BTW, why you wearing that mask...in the car...by yourself?
It's not because I enjoy wearing mask. I dislike it as much as the rest of everyone else. I however have also seen their effectiveness, and it does indeed help.

I promise the first time you catch that Rona will be the last time you ever want to. I lived through it Dec 2019 when nobody knew what the hell it was. Jan 2020 they reported it and by end of Jan 2020 we were masked up. I also volunteered for the phase 3 human trials of the vaccine that would become the Phizer one, I'd rather not risk getting it ever again.

I live outside the US. And because I'm posting a video that was filmed in UAE, if someone reports me as not wearing a mask outside in public, it can potentially lead to legal issues.

To keep making videos and not having any headaches, I follow the rules. In Dubai it's a bit more open regarding masks, but here in Abu Dhabi it's not.

I'm a guest in this country, so I respect their rules. When you live and work overseas, you will probably do the same. I feel like many things, but a 20k USD fine for failure to follow a local law is not one of them.

-Byron
The following 2 users liked this post by Byron:
azn2dmax (05-18-2021), DACTARI (12-26-2021)
Old 05-17-2021, 10:13 PM
Launching!

Warning long *** post, this probably fits in a what didn't I do today thread!

Parts have been piling up at my place for a while, given how busy with work I have been this year.
Took a long weekend to relax given the good weather here in MI, and while I was at it I got some things done on the V, a LOT done.
  • Third taillight badge faded badly.
  • New replacement third brake light badge part# 25767582
  • Installed
  • Plastidipped the top of the taillight gray + Plastidip smoked the rest of it.

• Plastidip smoked the reverse lenses while I was at it.

• Replaced the reverse and license plate yellow bulbs with 6K LEDs.
    Installed Sylvania Zevo 3175 6K and Zevo 194 6K LED bulbs

• Replaced faded old original fender V badges.
    While I was at it, I decided to replace them with 3rd gen V style badges they look much nicer though a bit smaller.
    I changed the location as well, here you can see the new location vs the old badge location.
    I should have probably gone in between those two spots, but I said what the heck I want to try that top spot for a while and see if I dig it.

• Replaced broken engine splash shield with a new one. Part# 25752695
    Had initially purchased an aftermarket engine splash shield to replace the broken one that came with my car, however turned out it was for the V6 model!
    A lot of gm parts websites incorrectly treat the V6 splash shield as compatible with the V, but really the only way I made it work is with zip ties as a temporary solution.

• Everyone knows I'm no fan of the GM push clips. They do make assembly quick, but removal is finnicky and they get damaged quickly. Even though I'm using a special tool.
  • So I enlarged slightly on the car end the corresponding holes where the splash shield's non-metal ringed holes lineup with 3/5" drill bit. For the front metal ringed ones I still used the small GM clips since the metal rings allowed for a snug fit.
  • After I enlarged the car's plastic holes, I proceeded to use my thicker and sturdier aftermarket push pins which are much nicer than GM's solution. They are still push pins, but for removal they can be loosened with a Phillips head, which is nicer than messing around with the tops of the old GM style ones.
  • Enlarged hole vs stock hole size on the car end, of the smaller and weak GM push pins

• Enlarged mating hole on the car's end (left) vs the stock small push clip hole (right)
  • Even enlarged the radiator support holes to accommodate the slightly bigger aftermarket clips (painted the fresh metal obviously) I was even going to thread those holes to accept bolts. But the aftermarket clips provided plenty of support so I skipped that step.

• Clip installed into radiator supports:

• Left the center hole using the stock gm clip since it's the only one on the car's body which actually provided a snug fit with the small GM clips.

• Installed new deflector lip, car came without one. Part# 25716142

• Recoated the bottom center console bezel due to heavy wear.
    I got tired of looking at the weared out finish on the bottom bezel on the center console since I bought the car.
    I wanted a quick fix, I was out of plastidip flat black, but had some peelcoat black metalic dip on hand.
    I thought why not let's give it a shot since it's a slightly more rugged / rough finish being it's sorta of metallic.
    I have to say I like it, the only time you can see the difference between the factory finish and this is if I shine a strong light on it. Otherwise in the daylight they look nearly the same.

• Last but not least, I rotated my tires and cleaned my calipers.

Pheew ok I'll go rest now

Last edited by CTSM; 05-18-2021 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by CTSM
Enlarged hole vs stock hole size on the car end, of the smaller and weak GM push pins
FWIW, that push pin on the left is not the correct OEM push pin, which may be why they weren't fitting well and were holding things together weakly. The push pins along the leading edge of the splash shield - the ones that go through the metal-ringed holes - are narrower and have a smaller head on the pin (like the one in your pic). That same small diameter style is also used for the 3 pins that go into the front subframe. The push pins that go everywhere else (like to connect the splash shield to the fender liners) are fatter and the head of the pin is almost the full diameter of the outer pin. I don't have any comparison pics to show you what I mean, but they should be the same as the ones that hold the bumper to the radiator support.

With that said, I'm sure the screw-type ones you've installed are easier to work with.
Byron (05-18-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 12:34 PM
Launching!

Yeah you're right AAIIIC for that one I might have had the wrong pin type.
But overall I remember using the thicker GM ones in places where I felt the fit was not snug, they tend to lose their ability to form a snug fit over time, they will still hold things together don't get me wrong, but they are not satisfying to use and sometimes break / split easy.

Moreover, my biggest gripe with them comes down to the center piece which secures the big clips. Material is so thin and flimsy, it bends so easy upon trying to release them and they start falling apart.I wish they had thicker tops and grooves on the side to grab them with vs trying to dig the lip out. The smaller clips have a thicker head and tend to last way longer, that's why I didn't mind to keep using them on the front of the splash shield and the center hole.

So at the end I said screw it, I'm converting most of the small and big holes to the thicker aftermarket clips.
The following 2 users liked this post by CTSM:
AAIIIC (05-18-2021), Byron (05-18-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Byron
It's not because I enjoy wearing mask. I dislike it as much as the rest of everyone else. I however have also seen their effectiveness, and it does indeed help.

I promise the first time you catch that Rona will be the last time you ever want to. I lived through it Dec 2019 when nobody knew what the hell it was. Jan 2020 they reported it and by end of Jan 2020 we were masked up. I also volunteered for the phase 3 human trials of the vaccine that would become the Phizer one, I'd rather not risk getting it ever again.

I live outside the US. And because I'm posting a video that was filmed in UAE, if someone reports me as not wearing a mask outside in public, it can potentially lead to legal issues.

To keep making videos and not having any headaches, I follow the rules. In Dubai it's a bit more open regarding masks, but here in Abu Dhabi it's not.

I'm a guest in this country, so I respect their rules. When you live and work overseas, you will probably do the same. I feel like many things, but a 20k USD fine for failure to follow a local law is not one of them.

-Byron
I was just giving you ****, my man. I'm old enough to remember when people could disagree on an issue and still have respect and agree on many others. The guest thing alone is good enough, I get it...still gotta give a little grief though.
Byron (05-21-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmilz28
I was just giving you ****, my man. I'm old enough to remember when people could disagree on an issue and still have respect and agree on many others. The guest thing alone is good enough, I get it...still gotta give a little grief though.
It's all good man, I don't take it personally for the most part. But it's one of the things I get asked constantly by people stateside.

I really dislike the damn things as much as anyone else does.

Unfortunately I got that video, and one more before my DJI osmo pocket 2 basically cooked it's self to death.

In other news, got the windshield replaced with OEM grade (not actual OEM glass as it's not available here, but it is DOT approved safety glass)

Pick up the car Sunday or Monday and I have a new camera setup I'll be taking for a test drive, a Sony ZV-1. They gave me a refund and a discount on the new setup.

I went with Onyx 10h pro graphene coating. I'm really excited to finally be able to stick a pin in the car for a while.

-Byron

Out with the old.
Old 05-21-2021, 09:51 PM
Launching!

It took nearly a month of waiting but I have finally received custom ordered Lloyd Ultimate Mats for the trunk and interior.
I have to say it was well worth the wait, my factory mats are so faded.

This upgrade definitely breathed new life into my V's interior, next up is to refresh the seating.

I zoomed in so you can see the matching stitching to the OEM interior

The V emblem is very well sewn in and the thickness of material on these utlimate mats is just right.

Trunk mat installed, gives the trunk area a much needed touch of class.

Driver mat installed

Closeup of driver mat hooks installed into the OEM floor. Would have preferred push on clips, but these will do.

Passenger mat installed

Rear passenger mat installed

Byron (05-22-2021)
Old 05-22-2021, 05:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It took nearly a month of waiting but I have finally received custom ordered Lloyd Ultimate Mats for the trunk and interior.
I have to say it was well worth the wait, my factory mats are so faded.

This upgrade definitely breathed new life into my V's interior, next up is to refresh the seating.

I zoomed in so you can see the matching stitching to the OEM interior

The V emblem is very well sewn in and the thickness of material on these utlimate mats is just right.

Trunk mat installed, gives the trunk area a much needed touch of class.

Driver mat installed

Closeup of driver mat hooks installed into the OEM floor. Would have preferred push on clips, but these will do.

Passenger mat installed

Rear passenger mat installed
I love those pedals! Any chance you have a link for them, or a part number?

-Byron
Old 05-22-2021, 09:40 AM
Launching!

Sure Byron, here's that info:
The pedal kit is made by Lingenfelter.
It's part# L820100704
Byron (05-22-2021)
Old 05-23-2021, 03:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sure Byron, here's that info:
The pedal kit is made by Lingenfelter.
It's part# L820100704
Thank you sir! My wallet is angry with me, but it's a nice finishing touch for the car.

-Byron
CTSM (05-23-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Love the Lloyds mats, I have them in my V1 and also in my f-body, went with the heavyweights. Monster upgrade that you can see, feel, smell (for a bit), and hear.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Fresh off the truck from the coating shop.

I'll hang the badges and spoiler this afternoon.

I did an Onyx pro 10h Graphene coating.

-Byron

CTSM (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 10:30 PM
Launching!

That looks absolutely sexy well done Byron
You still have one more thing to do, you gotta modify Cadillac center caps to fit those BMW wheels or maybe find ones that just fit.
Byron (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 02:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That looks absolutely sexy well done Byron
You still have one more thing to do, you gotta modify Cadillac center caps to fit those BMW wheels or maybe find ones that just fit.
The problem is, I can't even get the wheel maker to respond to an email, let alone buy a new set. I've tried 5 different caps now and can't seem to get a set that stays put.

Went into the bmw place and they had a set that plugged in. It's a super strange size.

I want to try a set of forgestar center caps, but they do not sell the caps seperatly apparently.

I'm going to get a set machined once I find a guy who speaks good enough English here.

Unless someone in the group is a machinist. I'll be happy to shoot measurements and pay for a set to be made.

Besides, I actually kinda like the way they look with the logos.

-Byron
Old 05-25-2021, 05:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

They sell Forgestar center caps separately. I've got a stack of them on my desk right here. Do you want dimensions?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your V today?