Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What did you do to your V today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are your headlights tinted? Can you still see at night with them that dark? I had some vinyl wrap on my mustangs headlights and i couldn't see crap at night. But they were halogen bulbs though.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CTSvOH
How are your headlights tinted? Can you still see at night with them that dark? I had some vinyl wrap on my mustangs headlights and i couldn't see crap at night. But they were halogen bulbs though.
Black paint in the clear and yeah I can see at night but it's only a summer car not a daily 4-5k miles a year
Old 05-18-2017, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
No, my clutch line does not run down through that opening; I have it run under the brake booster and then down behind the engine. It's wrapped in Thermo-tec sleeve, and since I no longer have long tubes, it's really not close to anything wicked hawt.

So I took a look at that opening last night as I was reinstalling the MC in the car. How is your line run under the car? It appeared I would have to run it directly over the driver side cat, and there's really nothing to zip-tie to in order to keep the line up away from the cat. Not the best picture, but you get the idea...

Right on. My lines are several inches longer than they should be. Thanks for reminding me to measure and order shorter ones. I'll let you know later tonight.

You can basically stuff the line between the plastic wheel well liner and the frame rail. Take the plastic rivet out, slide the line in, and replace the plastic rivet. Eventually I'll put a stainless double clamp there and a tiny notch in the plastic liner. I did this mod over Christmas break in the snow, so I hope you'll pardon the mess.

Attachment 719832

What did you do to your V today?-sada9lv.jpg

What did you do to your V today?-tq3xabs.jpg

What did you do to your V today?-zzw9cic.jpg

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 05-18-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
How is your line run under the car?
I use a 3AN clutch line and bleeder line to reduce expansion. The clutch line in the picture is a 63011728ERL (28", 90 degree swivel). However, it's too long. Instead I recommend 26" 63011726ERL if you want some slack to get the transmission out with the line still attached, or 24" 63011724ERL if you want the cleanest setup. I prefer either SS991902ERL stainless -3AN to -4AN unions or 661751 aluminum Endura unions. The ones shown in the above pictures are the Russell Endura fittings, but I may go stainless in the future.

The bleeder line goes to a special bleeder adapter bolted directly underneath the driver side hood strut. Russell 641370 for -3AN input and 641380 for 4AN input. In the picture, I used an (edit: approximately--I didn't have time to remove and measure--I'll try to check this weekend) 40" Russell -3AN line to reach the hood strut. However, I don't like that line because it's a little long and the hose clamps tend to rust a little (rust can be seen in my previous pictures). Ifg you want a short bleeder that's more durable, try a 36" 63010136ERL or 38" 63010138ERL. Keep in mind that these lengths will not have enough slack to pull the line out of the engine bay. They're intended for use with a bleeder bottle.

In the future, if you're interested, I invested something like $1200 into equipment to build my own 1/4" (-4AN) 316SS hard brake lines with 37 degree flare fittings. Now that I think about it, I'll probably build some convoluted hard lines that run down into that triangular opening to replace the flexible clutch and bleeder lines. If people are interested, maybe I can make some extras this summer. I'm also doing new brake lines everywhere in the car with 316SS clamps and fasteners.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 05-19-2017 at 01:08 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I actually drove mine to work today. I killed 2 tires on my outback yesterday choosing a curb over a bread truck.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Finally got her back together and ripping up the road. This last round of mods included:

Diff block and helicoiling the diff cover bolts
Replaced BMR trailing arms with Creative Steel
VooDoo carrier bearing
Revshift coupler
Brian's shifter
Shifter bushings (all of em) Creative Steel
UMI motor mounts
Jaysen's (Philistine) Tilton clutch master
Stupid leaking high pressure PS line
Powdercoated grilles
Custom headlights (built by myself)
Custom badges from Nate
Forgestars

Name:  20170517_185014_zpsxnhqd7rc.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  526.5 KB
Name:  20170517_195648_zps9qqs5tkv.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  400.8 KB
Name:  439BCE88-7DAC-4247-B46E-C902CA6FA30E-10127-00000C19B3ADA107_zps722ffa17.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  102.0 KB

This all after a good amount of work last year. She was on the jackstands about 2 months. Feels like a new car, everything is much tighter than before. Engine work will be next!
Old 05-20-2017, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Thanks for the details and pics, Fuzzy. For now I elected to just stick with the "normal" routing. If/when I have to go back in and futz with this stuff again, I may change my mind.

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
The bleeder line goes to a special bleeder adapter bolted directly underneath the driver side hood strut. Russell 641370 for -3AN input and 641380 for 4AN input.
I had a bleeder line that went all the way up to the hood strut. The bracket for it is still there. However, when the shop in Va Beach installed the RPS slave, they used a shorter bleeder line that comes up only a couple inches higher than the cylinder head. It's a pain in the *** to use, since the line isn't attached to anything. That, too, is something that will be resolved some day.

Anyway...

Today Mother Nature cooperated with no rain and cooler weather, and I banished my laziness long enough to get out there and finish reinstalling the rebuilt PMC. Got the pushrod installed, bled the MC (reaffirming my general disdain for the design of the Motive Power Bleeder), reinstalled all the interference, and took the car for a spin. Removing the factory clutch pedal assist spring didn't make as big a difference in pedal feel as I thought it would, but at the very least it gets rid of the noises from it!
Old 05-20-2017, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

Installed driveshaft #1, reinstalled exhaust, alignment, rotation. It's drivable. Driveshaft #2 will be in hand next week and I'll put it in to compare. I'll then do a separate thread detailing all my driveshaft sh*t, hopefully the end of it, and get on to other things. At least I can drive it!
Old 05-22-2017, 01:42 PM
TECH Regular

Dropped it off at the dealer for the fuel pump recall hopefully I get it back with no issues
Old 05-22-2017, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Anyone have a rear end for sale
I need a first gen cts v rear end
Old 05-22-2017, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by actrite80

Dropped it off at the dealer for the fuel pump recall hopefully I get it back with no issues
i hope you do too. I'm planning on getting mine in this summer. Been procrastinating. Needs 3 recalls. Fuel pump, brake lines and the deathproof keyfob.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by isis
i hope you do too. I'm planning on getting mine in this summer. Been procrastinating. Needs 3 recalls. Fuel pump, brake lines and the deathproof keyfob.
What about the passenger seat airbag presence recall? I just had all 4 of them recalls done last month. And all their gonna do is just modify the key, they add a peice of plastic where the key ring goes into the key, so its just a lil hole instead of the big oval shape hole

Last edited by Mike ctsV; 05-22-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sucks u just detailed that thing.hope they dont wash it for you!!!! I had mine detailed to and then a few days later it went to the dealer for the recalls, got it back, it looked like it got washed with a deck brush and dried off with a dirty chamoi. Looked horrible, ill never go to the dealer again
Old 05-22-2017, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mike ctsV
Sucks u just detailed that thing.hope they dont wash it for you!!!! I had mine detailed to and then a few days later it went to the dealer for the recalls, got it back, it looked like it got washed with a deck brush and dried off with a dirty chamoi. Looked horrible, ill never go to the dealer again
Haha no way I asked them to not wash no alignment and no impact on my aluminum lug nuts
Old 05-22-2017, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Haha no way I asked them to not wash no alignment and no impact on my aluminum lug nuts
Good. Did they say how long they would have it? Took mine in on a wed morning and got it back thurs afternoon
Old 05-22-2017, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

What about the passenger seat airbag presence recall? I just had all 4 of them recalls done last month. And all their gonna do is just modify the key, they add a peice of plastic where the key ring goes into the key, so its just a lil hole instead of the big oval shape hole
Ok so 4 recalls. I didn't know about the seat thing. I haven't actually looked recently. I know i didn't get a notification for anything but the 3 I mentioned. Any chance its an 06-07 only thing?

I know what they do for the killer keyfob. That was the undetected sarcasm i guess.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

^^^ I haven't gotten any notification of the passenger seat thing, so we may not be affected. I do get periodically reminded of the brake lines, despite my telling 2 different dealerships that I have braided lines and I don't need Cadillac to "fix" them.

- Got it aligned and tech inspected at a local performance shop. Heading to PittRace for an HPDE this weekend.

- Picked up a couple oil filters so I can change the oil at some point this week, also in preparation for the HPDE

- Not today, but forgot to share this one a month or so ago. Nice dent on the top of the driver side fender - someone dropped something pretty heavy on it while it was sitting in a lot on the Army/Marine base for a few weeks. Dent is probably ~6" long; fortunately it's not on the crease at the top of the fender, so maybe a PDR pro can take care of it. Haven't looked into that yet.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

Good. Did they say how long they would have it? Took mine in on a wed morning and got it back thurs afternoon
Dropped it this morning said I should have it back tomorrow at some point
I have no other recalls besides the fuel pump and key bullshit
Old 05-23-2017, 06:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by isis
Ok so 4 recalls. I didn't know about the seat thing. I haven't actually looked recently. I know i didn't get a notification for anything but the 3 I mentioned. Any chance its an 06-07 only thing?

I know what they do for the killer keyfob. That was the undetected sarcasm i guess.
Yea mine is a 05. I only had the 3 recalls on the notification card, then when the dealer typed the vin in they said i had 4 recalls, it also showed the seat thing
Old 05-23-2017, 09:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Everyone is in a routine at the dealer. I would have put a piece of masking tape with DO NOT WASH in marker across the steering wheel.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your V today?