Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

LS3 head conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 head conversion?

I'm in the beginning stages of piecing together the necessary parts to swap LS3/L92 heads onto my LS2. I'm hoping to have everything installed and tuned by spring.

Last night I was mulling things over and am starting to have doubts. I was going to call Martin over at Tick today to discuss and hopefully order a custom ground. In order to do this, I need to make up my mind

Here is my question. How tough is the conversion and is it worth it?

I am still fairly new to the LS world, but it seems to line me up closer to my goal of 450whp. I feel like I'm missing something as it "appears" to be about the same cost to buy/build some LS2 heads, and throw a cam in and call it a day. BUT for a few hundred more (probably more like $500) I can buy the L92 heads have them built and milled and make more power.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its all direct bolt on...but you will need the ls3 heads and offset rockers,valvecovers etc. after that measure for pushrods with the new cam and send it to the tuner.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

I guess another reason I'm apprehensive is that there doesn't appear to be many others doing this swap. Generally that's a good indication that it's not worthwhile.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:28 PM
TECH Resident

Actually its a very common swap for guys with ls2s
Old 11-18-2013, 07:53 PM
Launching!

That's why I looked hard for an ls2 car to be able to have this option in the future.

If you do it now then it will open your options for larger blowers setup for ls3 engines. You should do it!
Old 11-18-2013, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 90G60
I guess another reason I'm apprehensive is that there doesn't appear to be many others doing this swap. Generally that's a good indication that it's not worthwhile.
Couldnt be more wrong. Lot of guys have done it. If I had the 2 instead of 6 Id be doing it. The heads flow redonkuless #'s. You can get high hp staying na or really get up there with fi and cheap! Shop around and you can get the package under 2k.

Like I said OP, Id do it if I could.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:55 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Martin will not steer you wrong. The LS3 route is very popular, however a good cathedral build usually outperforms the large LS3 heads on smaller displacement engines, especially for street use.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Couldnt be more wrong. Lot of guys have done it. If I had the 2 instead of 6 Id be doing it. The heads flow redonkuless #'s. You can get high hp staying na or really get up there with fi and cheap! Shop around and you can get the package under 2k.

Like I said OP, Id do it if I could.
Alright, well I guess I will continue on then.

Originally Posted by DMM
Martin will not steer you wrong. The LS3 route is very popular, however a good cathedral build usually outperforms the large LS3 heads on smaller displacement engines, especially for street use.
Trying to remain budget conscious. If I spend Trick Flow money on a set of LS2 heads will I make more power than a nicely built set of LS3 heads?
Old 11-18-2013, 08:07 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Trying to remain budget conscious. If I spend Trick Flow money on a set of LS2 heads will I make more power than a nicely built set of LS3 heads?
I'd fill out Martins sheet, give him an idea of the performance you're looking for, the drivability you need, and your budget constraints. It's what he does, I haven't seen him let anyone down yet.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DMM
The LS3 route is very popular, however a good cathedral build usually outperforms the large LS3 heads on smaller displacement engines, especially for street use.
^^This!

and This!--> https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...automatic.html
Old 11-18-2013, 09:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The bottom line on LS3 and LSA heads on a stock LS2 motor is it's not very popular because the price/performance ratio is not great. Rule of thumb: $4195 plus shipping and tax for about 50 RWHP and 25 RWTQ, assuming you've got good supporting mods. My car might make 475 RWHP and 400 RWTQ, which will feel like nothing on the butt dyno. At that rate, you might as well save for a 416 CID LS3 shortblock.

You'll pay about $2000 to acquire LS3 or LSA cores and have them ported by someone reputable like TEA. They'll need to be milled unless you plan on going FI (the heads will drop your compression ratio by about a point), and you may have to have your pistons flycut to maintain piston-to-valve clearance. Now you're out about a month and $2500. Then you'll have to drop about $375 on a LS3 intake and fuel rails, $75 for gaskets, and about $150 for a used set of LS3 offset rockers. Then there are hardened pushrods ($135), the Comp Cams trunnion upgrade kit ($135), and you'll probably want to do SLP lifters ($200), ARP head bolts, the PRC .650" dual spring kit ($300), and Comp Cams hardened locks ($25). While you're at it, you may as well pick out a new cam that matches the heads ($300).

I've got a brand new set of LSA heads with lightweight valves sitting here. Bought it two years ago, thinking that I'd be able to run a TVS2300 on the stock engine. Then I realized that a) the stock rotating assembly can't take more than 7-8 PSI of boost for more than 20-30k miles, and b) my "end game" power goals increased beyond 650 RWHP to something in the 1000 RWHP range. Will probably build either a very strong 416 CID LS3 or 427 LSX. Not sure yet. If I go with the latter, it'll mostly be because the iron block can handle the heat.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 11-18-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Appreciate the list Fuzzy.

I started this simply because I want to do a cam and heads over the winter. I also realized that I didn't want my V to be down for a few months while pulling my stock heads to have them ported and built. So I thought I would buy a used set and have them built. Then just said the hell with it, and decided I might as well do the LS3 heads since I'm replacing the heads anyways. It made since to me, but I know I don't have all the info on the swap.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Appreciate the list Fuzzy.

I started this simply because I want to do a cam and heads over the winter. I also realized that I didn't want my V to be down for a few months while pulling my stock heads to have them ported and built. So I thought I would buy a used set and have them built. Then just said the hell with it, and decided I might as well do the LS3 heads since I'm replacing the heads anyways. It made since to me, but I know I don't have all the info on the swap.
Frankly, if I could do it over, I would've put the money I spent on a cam and valvetrain upgrades toward a better engine. Ultimately, if you do every single possible thing to a stock, naturally-aspirated LS2, you might approach 485 RWHP. But you'll spend more than you would if you increased your displacement, and there will be some driveability penalties to pay as well.

If you want to make your car drive faster, I'd recommend putting that money into a KW Variant 3 with 896 in-lb Swift springs in the rear, a lightweight clutch, or every bushing and shifter mod money can buy. Then, if you still want more power, save for an engine that can handle boost. $20,000 later, you'll be making 900+ RWHP.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

KW V3's are on my list for the winter as well.

Quick Reply: LS3 head conversion?