Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

steering rack failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, ****....already bought this and have been waiting to install it. So now the consensus is it's junk? What about running upgraded hoses?
Old 01-07-2014, 11:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bmylez
Well, ****....already bought this and have been waiting to install it. So now the consensus is it's junk? What about running upgraded hoses?
Well the lines have popped off 2 cars reported by members here with the ebay FHP-10029 that is stamped Thermal Dynamics International. Hard to say if it's junk but it looks like the cooler might not be the best replacement for the power steering oil.

I also have purchased the same cooler but decided not to install it. I'm exploring my options and getting good ideas from these posts. I'm honestly leaning towards the Fluidyne DB 30216. We'll see...
Old 01-08-2014, 04:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

It has me thinking, though...basically everyone in this thread followed the Cadillac FAQ post and therefore is either running the FHP-10026 or the 10029, but we've only heard about a couple failures. I wonder if it's driving habit and/or ambient temperature related.

I just went back, however, and looked at the Derale cooler that Fuzzy posted and now I realize the considerable difference in inlet/outlet tubes, and can see how that could definitely cause problems...so I guess I'll be getting the Derale instead and can hopefully sell the Fluidyne for a small loss.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by philistine
Well the lines have popped off 2 cars reported by members here with the ebay FHP-10029 that is stamped Thermal Dynamics International. Hard to say if it's junk but it looks like the cooler might not be the best replacement for the power steering oil.

I also have purchased the same cooler but decided not to install it. I'm exploring my options and getting good ideas from these posts. I'm honestly leaning towards the Fluidyne DB 30216. We'll see...
According to one of the experts, the stock power steering pump was not intended to run above 5000-5500 RPM. It's okay for sporadic use at high RPM, but that's about it. Extended high RPM usage (i.e. track conditions) will eventually destroy it via cavitation. That means that no matter how crazy you get with the cooler, the pump will eventually s**t the bed. Millions of tiny implosions at the trailing edge of the impeller's blades eventually add up.

The nicer Fluidyne cooler looks nice, but I don't think it's the best choice. It looks small, overbuilt, and over-expensive. Shock qualified, almost--the ends are built up as though they designed to cooler to be suspended by its fluid connections. The FHP-10029 is/was incredibly susceptible to fouling it uses 81 parallel, pinhole-sized tubes. Any normal cooler (e.g. 1/2" tube and fin, or stacked plate) will not have that problem. How many of the stock CTS-V coolers (1/2" tube and fin) leaked?

Anyway, my point is not that the DB 30216 won't work--rather that something like a Derale 13403 will provide better, equally reliable cooling at a better price, and that its inlet/outlets are clocked for a cleaner installation. Darkman's design is great for a N/A car, but you're going to need that area for an intercooler.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long is "extended high RPM"? It's not like you typically are at red line the whole lap or anything. I haven't had any issues on track with my Fluidyne on R comps (knock on wood), so I would think for street use it should be fine. That said, I'm all for an even better solution.

Edit: As much help as it's been with boil over issues, I'm not sure why I felt the PS cooler worthy on mentioning in my Sig...
Old 01-08-2014, 07:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What about a performance oriented power steering pump to fix the issue. These guys have one for the C5 & C6 corvette and a 09-and up CTS-V pump. Might be worth checking out. Http://Turnone.squarespace.com/corvette-pump/ Maybe the C5 pump would work?
Old 01-22-2014, 10:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think this is power steering fluid, but is a fair amount of grease throughout the boot normal? I just went to replace my inner tie rods tonight after the outers didn't take care of all the excess play in the steering.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Grease=Good
Old 01-23-2014, 10:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK good. I just read this too.

A light accumulation of oil in the rack boots over an extended period (i.e., between service intervals) should be considered normal and does not warrant replacement of the steering gear. In such cases, the rack boots should be cleaned free of oil, reinstalled and the fluid level topped off. The vehicle should then be returned to the customer for normal use. In so doing, the rate of oil accumulation in the rack boots can be more efficiently determined and a possible mis-diagnosis avoided.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BudRacing
OK good. I just read this too.
Be sure to check that bolt that connects the lower intermediate shaft to the rack...should be 37ft lbs.. If not snug it might be contributing to overall center slop.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:52 PM
TECH Regular

I have now the same issue, leaking oil behind the boot from steering rod at passenger side, here is a pic of it:

Somebody have pics from a open steering rack and can show where the leak comes from, sealent o-ring etc.?

Best regards,
Ronald

Quick Reply: steering rack failure