Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Bad vibration in steering wheel...sometimes.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad vibration in steering wheel...sometimes.

I have been dealing with this for a while but it only vibrates between 53ish to 65ish. Under or over that nothing I really notice. No vibration in the the car just literally the steering wheel shakes left and right. It has new tires all the way around and alignment. If I take my hands off the wheel while it does it the car still drives straight. It has new brakes and rotors(brakemotive). I jacked the car up and let the suspension hang but nothing obviously. I checked both wheels for play while everything was hanging but also nothing. I noticed it does it most often when the car has been sitting and its cold. The only other time I have noticed it consistenlty is when I am driving it hard in the twisties and I am using the brakes really hard. The fist few corners it feels good and then the brakes start getting heat and the wheel vibrates. No vibration in the pedal though. I was thinking maybe a hub assembly was going bad or the rack and pinion possibly. Not really sure where to go on this and I dont want to just start replacing stuff. Any help would appreciatted. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you get an alignment sheet?

Because most places will do next-to-nothing when you bring your car in for an alignment, despite massive cross toe, camber, and caster, as long as each individual wheel is in spec.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:02 PM
11 Second Club

USUAL vibration @ hiway speed within a 10-15 mph bracket ( 50-60, 60-70)
ok above and below the bracket, 90-95 % of time is balance, be sure and have 2 plain balance did
02 Johnny
Old 03-21-2014, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sitting in the cold and for long periods puts a flat spot on the tire that will go away after the tires warm up.

You might have a slight "out of round" condition.

Swap the tires with the rears and see what happens.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My General AS-03's hum, wander and vibrate BAD when they're not hot, causing the same symptoms you have between 45 and 65mph.

Shitty tire, fyi
Old 03-24-2014, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

Well I guess I will rotate them and then re-balance and and re-align it. Hopefully that fixes the issue. It would be nice if it wasn't something needing to be replaced this time.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:58 PM
Staging Lane

You're probably going to get tons of suggestions since you're chasing a vibration, and it's probably a balance issue. But, my input will be to make sure your transmission and motor mounts are good. I chased the same issue for a bit, and it ended up being a bad trans mount. A collapsed mount puts pressure on the carrier bearing bushing, ruins the driveshaft alignment, and creates a vibration at highway speeds. Not the most likely reason, but something to keep in the differential diagnosis.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

I hope all our feedback helps, but I chased the same issue for over a year. Between 60 and 70 it was vibrating. Changed brake discs nothing. Had tires balanced better, but never really went away. Changed broken engine mount nothing. Changed carrier bearing helped a differ t vibration, but not the problem. Tried rotating tires and balancing and it was noticeable with a certain rotation pattern. Finally found a hop in the wheel. Had the wheels straightened and repaired and painted and now she rides much better. Took me three different balance guys until I found one that could show me there was a hop in the wheel.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

What do you mean by hop in the wheel?

I too had a vibration until i had them road forced balanced. Did that and found out tire was out of spec. Even a brand new tire can be out of spec. The road force at best was 60 lbs. That was after rotating the tire on the wheel to achieve the best number.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

The wheel must have taken an impact at one point prior to me buying it and it had a flat slight flat spot.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I took my wheels to get powder coated they had to straighten one of the wheels. DSR had seen a couple curbs in its day. It's pretty common for wheels to need a straightening.

Quick Reply: Bad vibration in steering wheel...sometimes.