Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Makin progress

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 12:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Naf
Kewl...

I am so bored waitin for someone to finish my car that i an startin to experiment with my supermoto...

Gonna put on a ported 450sxf top end with cam on my 500exc, should boost the power curve well over 60hp.

The 450 supposedly makes 60hp while the 500 makes 58hp...doesnt sound right to me either, 60cc larger and makes less power...someone needs a cam and head swap stat!
If you're bored, can you give us a brain dump on your cold air intake setup? I bought the titanium plate that you previously identified, and need to figure out how to cut and bend it to prep for welding.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:05 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

No bending where it holds onto the car but there is a slight bend at the beginning very similar to the Lingenfelter cai, just a pc of alu 1.5mm thick with nutserts holdin it in place,

btw alu weighs less than ti by up to 40%

Will snap some pix for you on sat when i see my car
Old 04-11-2016, 02:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Just got my V1 UCAs in the car and it feels pretty damn good. The SAI when running the V2 and STS UCAs was pretty jacked up. Bump steer with the STS UCAs was incredible because of the insane scrub radius.

What doesn't feel good is that the V1 UCA bushing receivers are thinner than the V2 and STS UCAs. So my shaved-down UCA bushings are slightly loose between the flanges--I need to order a fresh set. I may still need to shave this new set of bushings down to fit perfectly, since John doesn't have precise measurements for 75D (accounting for compression) yet. But if I do, it'll be on the order of 0.1-0.2mm reduction, not 1.1-1.2mm like before.

Oh, and before I forget (again), any asymmetry in your bushings width means that your control arms are bent. I now have four sets of control arms and they all require perfectly symmetrical bushing flange heights.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 04-11-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:49 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Just got my V1 UCAs in the car and it feels pretty damn good. The SAI when running the V2 and STS UCAs was pretty jacked up. Bump steer with the STS UCAs was incredible because of the insane scrub radius.

What doesn't feel good is that the V1 UCA bushing receivers are thinner than the V2 and STS UCAs. So my shaved-down UCA bushings are slightly loose between the flanges--I need to order a fresh set. I may still need to shave this new set of bushings down to fit perfectly, since John doesn't have precise measurements for 75D (accounting for compression) yet. But if I do, it'll be on the order of 0.1-0.2mm reduction, not 1.1-1.2mm like before.

Oh, and before I forget (again), any asymmetry in your bushings width means that your control arms are bent. I now have four sets of control arms and they all require perfectly symmetrical bushing flange heights.
Didnt we cover the uca bushins?

I have an upper mount and tried it out after my shavin and it fits perfectly.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Naf
Didnt we cover the uca bushins?

I have an upper mount and tried it out after my shavin and it fits perfectly.
To summarize, the asymmetrical sanding that you used is an indication that your UCAs are bent. It may have happened when someone pressed out the stock bushings. This is not normal--I have two CTS-V1's worth of UCAs and yokes, and both sets require symmetrical bushing flange heights.

The other thing that you'll find is that your sanded bushings don't fit the V1 UCAs since the V1 UCAs are thinner at the mounting point than the STS/SRX and V2 UCAs. If you call John or Tony @ Revshift to order another set of 75 UCA bushings, make sure to tell them that you already have the steel cores. That way, they can get you replacement stuff faster.

If this doesn't make sense, let me know.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:17 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

It makes sense, but i tried the sts uca in v2 upper mount instead of v1, they should be the same.

I had to trim some off the inside of the bushin and not the flange, they are symmetrical. Thicker ones on the outsides and the thinner ones on the inside.

Btw i used a hydraulic cyl and pulled the old bushin out not pushed...
Old 04-12-2016, 08:26 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Car is inop for the key fob isnt communicatin with the bcm and the bcm isnt communicatin with the ecm...

Still in limbo...
Old 04-12-2016, 09:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm trying my best to follow you guys here...So what I'm taking from this is that if the Control arm is the least bit twisted, it won't slide into the mounts (see arrows) unless you trim the bushings?

Thanks

Old 04-12-2016, 09:34 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

That wasn't the case in my situation I had to trim the insides of the bushings for them to fit

if you put the both bushings together it would not fit in the slot regardless of the uca
Old 04-12-2016, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had no issues with initial fitment on those bushings when they were replaced. The lowers were TIGHT but worked fine. I did have to back off of the torque values for the uppers to get them to pivot correctly. After a few miles I was able to re-tighten without issue.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:21 PM
TECH Junkie

The upper control arm is a "U" shape when you look at it from the top. If the arm was in an accident or someone put a hydraulic press on it and improperly supported the other end, there's a good chance that the "U" is collapsed a little bit. When this happens, you'll notice that the inside edges of the bushings scrape when you insert the control arm into the shock tower yoke before you bolt it up.

My policy on bushings is this: they should permit free rotation at maximum rated torque. No squeaking or binding. If they do either of those things, they get sanded down, and updated measurements are provided to the vendor.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My policy on bushings is this: they should permit free rotation at maximum rated torque. No squeaking or binding. If they do either of those things, they get sanded down, and updated measurements are provided to the vendor.
Agreed. That is why I went back in to see why I couldn't get free rotation without backing off of the torque. What I found was that there was nothing needed at this point to make them rotate properly. Was that from wear on the bushing face, better distribution of lube, or something else; I don't really know. I am just reporting on what happened in my situation. My suspicion is that there was some lube trapped between the two halves of the busing and this was causing an issue. As the car was used and force applied to the suspension components the lube was pushed out of the gap allowing the bolts to be tightened without incident.

BTW - Agreed on the hydraulic press statement as it was a PIA to get mine properly supported while keeping the die aligned.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:07 AM
TECH Addict

I tend to agree with this too...but

Before installing my shocks at 200k, I went to the Pull-A-Part and grabbed some spare control arms just in case and on a stock CTS, the control arms were tight to a point that they were binding and not easily moved. When I've pulled both my V1s apart to install shocks, they were tightened in the same manner. Makes you wonder...
Old 04-14-2016, 01:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ls1247
I tend to agree with this too...but

Before installing my shocks at 200k, I went to the Pull-A-Part and grabbed some spare control arms just in case and on a stock CTS, the control arms were tight to a point that they were binding and not easily moved. When I've pulled both my V1s apart to install shocks, they were tightened in the same manner. Makes you wonder...
Naf wants us to take this conversation elsewhere so that he can focus on updates to his car.

I'll simply say this: the reason why you had a hard time moving those control arms is because that behavior is considered an acceptable for a low-cost production car.

The OEM bushings are made with rubber bonded to a press-fit aluminum shell. The steel core is held in place by the yoke and will not rotate when the yoke's bolts are torqued to spec. Consequently, when the control arm is forced to rotate up or down by the road and the suspension, the rubber element is twisted in one direction or the other. While this is acceptable for a low-cost passenger car with progressive springs, this behavior is undesirable in a high-performance vehicle with carefully-tuned linear springs and dampers because the twisting action affects the spring/damper rate.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Naf wants us to take this conversation elsewhere so that he can focus on updates to his car.

I'll simply say this: the reason why you had a hard time moving those control arms is because that behavior is considered an acceptable for a low-cost production car.

The OEM bushings are made with rubber bonded to a press-fit aluminum shell. The steel core is held in place by the yoke and will not rotate when the yoke's bolts are torqued to spec. Consequently, when the control arm is forced to rotate up or down by the road and the suspension, the rubber element is twisted in one direction or the other. While this is acceptable for a low-cost passenger car with progressive springs, this behavior is undesirable in a high-performance vehicle with carefully-tuned linear springs and dampers because the twisting action affects the spring/damper rate.

To Clarify the above statement.
The bushings are bonded and are Tight and get wound up because they are tuned for a certain ride quality and are part of an overall suspension system tune set. They are made this way on purpose, not because it's cheap. This is generally the case with almost every bushing in the automotive market that isn't a cross-axis balljoint. It's also for vehicle durability and noise isolation as well.

The higher the performance the vehicle gets, the more balljoints you see replacing these types of bushings, but you also have other compromises that come with them as well such as NVH effects and lifespan of the parts.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Completely disagree.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Completely disagree.
I wasn't asking for your concurrence.

As an automotive mechanical engineer that works on and designs chassis components including bushings like the ones we are talking about I'm educating you to what the reality is.

You can PM me if you'd like to learn something.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by barrok69

As an automotive mechanical engineer that works on and designs chassis components including bushings like the ones we are talking about I'm educating you to what the reality is.

What are your thoughts on torque specs for aftermarket urethanes.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by barrok69

As a designer of nuclear submarines, I'm telling you that you're wrong.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1247
What are your thoughts on torque specs for aftermarket urethanes.
The torque spec is designed for the type of bolt specified and the joint that it's being applied to. If you are re-using the stock bolts and the new bushings you are using have the same length center section, same size clamp load surface area and material finish then the torque spec should be the same.

With factory bushings you have to torque the joints at curb weight otherwise you introduce wind-up into the bushing and it will cause premature failure and undesired effects such as ride quality degradation among other things. If your urethane bushings don't rotate completely smoothly 360° then you should also be torquing them at curb weight. Curb weight meaning vehicle wheels on the ground, suspension loaded, not up in the air on a hoist with wheels drooping down.

As a designer of nuclear submarines, I'm telling you that you're wrong.
I'll make a note next time I need advice on my nuclear submarines suspension.... Until then, you should probably stick with what you know and not poison everybody's idea about how actual car bushings work.

Last edited by barrok69; 04-14-2016 at 05:51 PM. Reason: fuzzylogic using failed logic again...

Quick Reply: Makin progress