Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

been thinking about custom light weight things.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 11:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default been thinking about custom light weight things.....

I've seen tubular front cross members for camaros/mustangs and other cars... so I wonder, how much weight saving would I get if I made a custom tubular cross member and tubular rear cradle.

How much does the stock cross member and rear cradle weigh??

I'll be doing it myself, so labor is free. But my main question is, will it be worth it?

If I can save ~100-200lbs from going tubular on both, then hell yea it'll be worth it.

And if anyone wants to say "why".. then I'll say, because I can and want to . Oh and... future race car.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are redesigning the cradles, I'm sure that there are other gains to be had other than just weight savings.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rjoffe
If you are redesigning the cradles, I'm sure that there are other gains to be had other than just weight savings.
Yea I plan on making the diff mounts for 8.8, so I don't have to buy the cs bracket. I'd also like to address the whole driveline misalignment. I'm going to start looking for another cradle and cross member to use as a template
Old 11-17-2014, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know lightening up the rear end is never ideal in a drag setup (if that is your main goal) but im sure you could save some solid weight replacing the Trunk with a Fiberglass or CF replica.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its an interesting idea....
I wonder with a new front cradle if the engine could be push back closer to the firewal. If you could get close enough to run a f-body/gto magnum T56. Could also free up some turbo/supercharger spacein front of the engine.
For the rear, this FD cradle was nodded to accept the explorer 8.8 IRS....looks beast! www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=15911.0
Old 11-17-2014, 07:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know lightening up a rear end for drag is not a good idea, but regardless it's still a 4000 lb car. I don't want a strictly drag car either; would like xcross and drag also street too.

I don't want to move the engine back into the firewall, because I need the room behind to run down pipes for my twin turbo setup. But I might lower it and do a dry sump .

Here is my car now with just the turbos in place, I moved my fuse box back and have more than enough room for all the piping. I just haven't started because I need to finish a customers 1952 pontiac ls Swap (4-link, bags, new crossmember wiring, the works! ), so I probably won't start putting it together until the new year.

Anyone know how much our front and rear cradles weigh?

The regular cts has the same cradle correct? If so; I'll be able to get one cheap at the junkyard.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you relocate the fuse box?
Old 11-18-2014, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

probably a lot of time and wiring.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Grenade19
How did you relocate the fuse box?
I took all the wiring Out of the box and moved it all back here the battery was (I relocated it to the trunk). I only had to extend the radiator fan wires and a few wires going to the windshield wiper tank.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like the sounds of this project. If you can figure out a way to drop a decent amount of weight like this, I'm sure you could sell quite a few copies as well.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd
I like the sounds of this project. If you can figure out a way to drop a decent amount of weight like this, I'm sure you could sell quite a few copies as well.
Yea I intend to make a jig so I can replicate them. I'm going to the junkyard this weekend hopefully so I can get the cradle from a cts. I saw it 3 weeks ago when I was there so hopefully they still have the car. It'll be a pretty slow process since I'm working on other projects.

The rear cradle with the welded mounts for 8.8 diff will be made for sure. The Weight reduction and instant $400 savings (cs 8.8 brackets) will make it worth it on its own.

The front cross member will be done after. A lot of thought, measuring and geometry will go into it.

I'll post pics once the project gets started.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RecklessV
Yea I intend to make a jig so I can replicate them. I'm going to the junkyard this weekend hopefully so I can get the cradle from a cts. I saw it 3 weeks ago when I was there so hopefully they still have the car. It'll be a pretty slow process since I'm working on other projects.

The rear cradle with the welded mounts for 8.8 diff will be made for sure. The Weight reduction and instant $400 savings (cs 8.8 brackets) will make it worth it on its own.

The front cross member will be done after. A lot of thought, measuring and geometry will go into it.

I'll post pics once the project gets started.
Someone can confirm but the front cradle was supposedly beefed up for the V vs the regular cts to accommodate the ls.

I was surprised when I bought my v1 to find out both the cradles were steel as other gm platforms make use of alum cradles. The rear springs/shocks not being coil overs were again something used in other gm performance platforms but not this one, but yet the stock diff is alum. If the rears were converted to coil overs then lower rear control arms could be done in alum or tubular steel.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by garrettg
Someone can confirm but the front cradle was supposedly beefed up for the V vs the regular cts to accommodate the ls.

I was surprised when I bought my v1 to find out both the cradles were steel as other gm platforms make use of alum cradles. The rear springs/shocks not being coil overs were again something used in other gm performance platforms but not this one, but yet the stock diff is alum. If the rears were converted to coil overs then lower rear control arms could be done in alum or tubular steel.

Great idea on the lower control arms, I can make a set of tubulars for coilover guys, and guys with springs can use their stock arms. Now I definitely need coilovers ha.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a guy already working on it.

CTSV vs. the World

or my page:

CTS-V1 vs. Flat Rock, Michigan(town where the Mustang is made)

The rear cradle weighs about 150 lbs.

I like the idea from a space aspect......thinner tubes for sure....
Old 11-20-2014, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 54inches
There is a guy already working on it.

CTSV vs. the World

or my page:

CTS-V1 vs. Flat Rock, Michigan(town where the Mustang is made)

The rear cradle weighs about 150 lbs.

I like the idea from a space aspect......thinner tubes for sure....

Hm I can't find any info on it on either page. Oh well, if someone is already doing it then I'll just make them for my car.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

let's not get stingy...remember Calculus was created at the same time on 2 different continents....
Old 11-20-2014, 09:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 54inches
let's not get stingy...remember Calculus was created at the same time on 2 different continents....
Oh no that's not what I meant at all. I meant if he's already putting it together, I wouldn't want to compete and step on his toes.it's all good, I'm just trying to lighten up the car, not make money off of it.

Quick Reply: been thinking about custom light weight things.....