Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Smoothest shifter

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 03:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoothest shifter

So I got around to putting in the philistine master clutch, and it definitely made an improvement to the terrible shifting experience. Although im still hungry for more improvement.

I'm not even sure what Shifter I have. But it appears it's shorter than stock. There is a ton of slop when im in gear. (IE: shifter can move 1-2 inches left & right) It also seems the shifter is not that smooth.

What are some options out there to tighten things up and get some smoother shifts? I'm just speaking for DD purposes mostly. Ease of shifting is the name of the game.

EDIT: also open to suggestions on the best trans fluid to keep things smooth.

Last edited by itsdaveonline; 01-20-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search on shifter bushings, lots of threads out there with cures to all of the shifter woes in this car.

As to which shifter is the smoothest, I personally have never experienced a shifter being able to affect the smoothness of a shift and believe its got more to do with a properly functioning linkage assembly, if applicable, and the transmission itself.

FWIW, I've modified everything on my car in terms of improving the shifter motion and have improved things 1000%, but it still lacks sorely in comparison to my other manual trans equipped cars, both stock and modified.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:21 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I always liked the Katech shifter along with polyurethane shifter bushings.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 01-20-2015, 04:28 PM
Launching!

^^ Thanks.

@Fweasel I'm searching but not finding any relevant info. I see that Domestic V8 Solutions makes a shifter and so does creative steel. Haven't found any more relevant info about bushings etc...
Old 01-20-2015, 04:29 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The bushings in the base of your shifter are worn out and/or broken. The Katech shifter reuses the stock junk nylon bushings.

Snap a pic of the underside of your shifter and we can tell you which one you have. I make bushings out of Delrin or bronze to replace the stock ones.

The Hurst shifter is a complete replacement shifter with new Delrin bushings in the base that will never wear out and fit tighter than stock. The only play left will be from the linkage up at the trans end.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v/1699989-hurst-shifter-2004-2007-cts-v.html
Old 01-20-2015, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only play left will be from the linkage up at the trans end.
That has been y experience but

I've modified everything on my car in terms of improving the shifter motion and have improved things 1000%, but it still lacks sorely in comparison to my other manual trans equipped cars
The above is true too. I would do the shifter upgrade but don't expect Mercedes smoothness.

On a related note, after modification I had been plagued with shifter noise. It turns out the noise was generated by the aftermarket transmission bushing more so than the shifter itself. I drilled out quite a bit of the aftermarket bushing and noise decreased dramatically. I may end up removing it altogether. YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:54 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Originally Posted by Sssnake
That has been y experience but

The above is true too. I would do the shifter upgrade but don't expect Mercedes smoothness.

On a related note, after modification I had been plagued with shifter noise. It turns out the noise was generated by the aftermarket transmission bushing more so than the shifter itself. I drilled out quite a bit of the aftermarket bushing and noise decreased dramatically. I may end up removing it altogether. YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY.
Which bushing did you drill out? Did you install the pvc Home Depot ones? Those transmit a ton of noise.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Now im finding some good info. So i think you guys are talking about the shifter rail bushings? I'm good with a little bit of slop and play. I'm mostly concerned over ease of shifting into gear.

I found this:
https://creative-steel.com/shop/04-0...fter-bushings/

anyone used them before? Just seeking some feedback
Old 01-20-2015, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

transmission bushing
Transmission mount bushing NOT shifter bushing.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I've used the stock shifter, Brian's (pissnuoff) shifter, katech, and a B&M... And I went back to the stock shifter. It's way smoother than any of the others. UMI motor mounts and a tranny mount solved half of my bad shifter experience. That and most people don't tighten the shifter linkage bolt that attaches to the bottom of the shifter tight enough. It should be tight, not loose otherwise you get side to side slop.

About the only shifter I'd be interested in trying next is the creative steel one. It's adjustable throw on the top and bottom, and retains the OEM vibration isolation.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:48 PM
Launching!

hmm okay good info. That makes me think about just replacing the bushings and going back to stock.

I'm about 95% sure i have creative steel transmission mount bushings already in from the previous owner. Guess ill have to dig into the linkage and shifter tomorrow to see what the deal is. It'd be interesting to see what shifter is in there.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

My problem with the stock shifter is the extreme throw distance that put my knuckles into the ashtray in 3rd and pinched my thumb against the rear bezel in 4th.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:07 PM
TECH Regular

Lol, the stock shifter is such a piece of crap! All that plastic **** breaks down, opening up tolerances.....and the shift lever is in fact a lever, with your hand on the long side of that lever. Those open tolerances translate to enormous free play. Smoothness in shifting can only be attributed to the longer throw with more mechanical advantage. Shortening the throw, you give up some of this leverage...and you will feel what's inside the transmission shift rails (just like the others mentioned)
Really, any shifter should feel about the same in smoothness, its just a ball in socket...you want the closest tolerances you can get. My shifter was crazy "spoon in spaghetti" about 1.5" side to side in gear. Now its about a 1/2" changing only the shifter.
But yes it does feel notchy, I have been eyeing the Philistine MC....but I hesitate getingt stuck since I have no remote bleeder. So you should be ahead of the game.
But as 07ctsv said, get it up on ramps, snap a picture....you should be able you reach the shifter rod, and wiggle it. Then you can see where some of the play is.
I have a stock shifter...and you can buy it if you really want to, but I'm telling you, I would put that in my worst enemy's car.
and as far as the vibes.....my shifter is all metal, I peeled the foam piece off the bottom of the stocker and its been good/quiet. I don't see the need for the two piece stalk.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Let's not forget the OP is specifically looking for smoothness and easy shifting for a daily driver. Of all I've tried, the stocker is best for that.

It has the best combo of vibration isolation and mechanical advantage to overcome friction and notchiness in the linkage or tranny. Side to side slop usually comes from the bolt at the bottom of the shifter being too loose.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
The bushings in the base of your shifter are worn out and/or broken. The Katech shifter reuses the stock junk nylon bushings.

Snap a pic of the underside of your shifter and we can tell you which one you have. I make bushings out of Delrin or bronze to replace the stock ones.

The Hurst shifter is a complete replacement shifter with new Delrin bushings in the base that will never wear out and fit tighter than stock. The only play left will be from the linkage up at the trans end.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...007-cts-v.html
This here. I am one happy customer
Old 01-21-2015, 09:19 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

If you want smoothness from the stock shifter, replace the bushings in the base and install some Creative Steel polyurethane outer linkage bar bushings and see where that gets you. It will fix most of the side to side play. The simplest method would be to buy this entire kit for the stock shifter. It's $75 for their bronze bushings for the base and their polyurethane bushings for the linkage bars.

https://creative-steel.com/shop/04-0...fter-bushings/
Old 01-21-2015, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

Bryan's shifters are top notch options, and Max's (Creative Steel) shifter looks like a real fine piece of work. Given the adjustability of the CS shifter, I'd steer you that way...
Old 01-23-2015, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hmmm that CS piece looks familiar.....lol

Quick Reply: Smoothest shifter