Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Modified Hurst Shifter for the V

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modified Hurst Shifter for the V

I got tired of the sloppy shifting and not finding gears so I ordered Brian's (PISNUOFF, CTSV07 in other forums) modified Hurst Camaro short throw shifter (along with other mounts and bushings from Creative Steel).

Let me say this - WOW. The difference was night and day. The shifting was so much more precise and crisp. It simply felt like driving a different car after installing it, along with a transmission mount and differential bushing.
I also flushed the transmission fluid and replaced it with Penzoil Synchromesh. Anybody with shifting issues, this is the way to go. Installation of the shifter was very straight forward with his instructions. I did run into an issue with my shifter linkage having bent tongs/ears from previous owner who had modified the stock shifter. I had trouble getting the new shifter base into the shifter linkage, but after fighting with some pliers I was able to open it up enough to get it in.

Note, I did NOT drop the exhaust or driveshaft to install this. Also, Brian has shifter boots for sale. I got mine black with silver stitching. Very happy customer.

Hope this helps someone else!

Old 04-01-2015, 06:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried the penzoil synchromesh and it made my trans shift like garbage.. Immediately it was very hard to get into all the gears and overall just made the trans feel like a piece-o-crap.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by voodoochikin04
I tried the penzoil synchromesh and it made my trans shift like garbage.. Immediately it was very hard to get into all the gears and overall just made the trans feel like a piece-o-crap.
What are you running now in your transmission?
Old 04-03-2015, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried the royal purple atf... immediately drained it back into the bottles and got my $80 back.. tried penzoil...drain... garbage. The smoothest stuff for my trans is the cheap Advance auto parts dexronIII
The following users liked this post:
Joseph0284 (12-30-2022)
Old 04-03-2015, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check this out on fluids.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...uld-i-use.html

I did the 3/1 redline mix and not a game changer, but seems smooth and a little quieter.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Aaron Thomas
Check this out on fluids.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...uld-i-use.html

I did the 3/1 redline mix and not a game changer, but seems smooth and a little quieter.
I tried that breifly in my 07, shifted terribly in the cold weather. Not a deal breaker for someone in AZ but an observation just the same. Finishline Transmissions recommended Dex3 to me, said that's all they use. When they did my trans work, I had them fill it with that and the cold weather issues improved significantly.

Last edited by Fweasel; 04-05-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just put in Jo Gibbs STF Synchromesh and it seems to work fine for me. I honestly can't really tell a difference from what was in it before which was gm fluid of some kind... Probably would have been just as good if i put in pep boys fluid that's much cheaper...
The following users liked this post:
Joseph0284 (12-30-2022)
Old 04-05-2015, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As long as your temps aren't extreme and you change it often enough, any fluids meeting spec should be adequate.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:02 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Amsoil TorqueDrive

Quick Reply: Modified Hurst Shifter for the V