Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Gear Whine after upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gear Whine after upgrades

so last night i put in my CS rear cradle bushings, diff block, and my voodoo chicken DS. in the process i drained the old diff fluid and threw in redline 75/90 with the GM additive. Now i hear the rear whine like a bitch on decel.

accel seems fine and rock solid. i am really digging the DS and bushings. the fluid that came out was black and i dont know how long it was in there. the diff is a warranty replacement when they offered the upgrade.

My question is do you think anything got out of line or is it just the new fluid making it noisy. i can deal with it i dont DD the car. I just want to make sure that i dont need to check any angles. everything went super smooth with the install.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yep. Your driveline misalignment angles just increased.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

care to explain a little more on that? where and why? i understand you are not under the car measuring but throw your .02 in anyway.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Yep. Your driveline misalignment angles just increased.
Maybe...but that's not causing his diff whine.

Most likely cause is the new urethane bushings transmitting the noise - a noise it's probably had all along.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bigti99a
care to explain a little more on that? where and why? i understand you are not under the car measuring but throw your .02 in anyway.
Actually, I'm probably the *only* guy to get under the car and do a comprehensive study of driveline misalignment angles other than John @ Revshift and Chris @ Geforce1320. Since your attitude sucks, figure it out yourself.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

dude why are you even here? i simply was stating i know you are not under MY car measuring it RIGHT NOW and can not relate anything specific to MY situation but i know you are knowledgeable about the platform and asked for your opinion. so for you to get all up in arms thinking that i am saying you do not know measurements is dumb.

you misinterpreted what i said and if youre going to be a dick to people it shows whos attitude sucks. people come here for help and if they dont stroke your ego there is no reason to jump on them.

that being said if you would like to contribute great. if not oh well.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a noticeable increase in whine after going with CS street cradle bushings.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks to the 2 people with input. I can deal with the audible change and the stiffer bushings transferring it makes sense. I am not writing off that it couldn't be something different but everything went smooth and is torqued properly and feels fine driving at normal speeds or pulling through 1, 2, and 3rd gear.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bmylez
I had a noticeable increase in whine after going with CS street cradle bushings.
I did as well. The initial increase from the forward diff bushing and the CS block was more. Doing them all at the same time would be pretty dramatic I think. If I still DD'd the thing I probably would have at least removed the block by now if not bought a bearing/bushing press and put it back to the stock bushing. I would never go back from the cradle bushings though. That rear suspension whoopsie feeling with the stock ones was too gut wrenching especially on a rwd car.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Surprisingly did not notice noise increase with diff street bushing and block. The whine can get annoying sometimes, but there's no going back anyway.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bmylez
Surprisingly did not notice noise increase with diff street bushing and block. The whine can get annoying sometimes, but there's no going back anyway.
I used a revshift diff bushing. I suspect the shape and design transmits more noise than the CS one and wasn't intended to balance motion restriction with noise transmission quite as much.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Actually, I'm probably the *only* guy to get under the car and do a comprehensive study of driveline misalignment angles other than John @ Revshift and Chris @ Geforce1320. Since your attitude sucks, figure it out yourself.
THERE's your whine bruh !

Found it !
Old 04-07-2016, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bwahaha. Seriously.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by isis
I did as well. The initial increase from the forward diff bushing and the CS block was more. Doing them all at the same time would be pretty dramatic I think. If I still DD'd the thing I probably would have at least removed the block by now if not bought a bearing/bushing press and put it back to the stock bushing. I would never go back from the cradle bushings though. That rear suspension whoopsie feeling with the stock ones was too gut wrenching especially on a rwd car.
Same. I should record a video of how loud my Gen1 diff whines with the CS race cradle bushings, it's absurd. Still would never go back to stock.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As long as there have been driveshafts, there have literally been hundreds before us that have studied driveline angles in depth for use in all sorts of applications. We've been successfully working on our own V1 specific driveline alignment solutions and, in the spirit of community, we've posted our results for everyone to use. If you care to join us, the thread linked below is a good place to do it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...bration-9.html
Old 04-08-2016, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I installed Specter Werkes cradle bushings years ago. As a result, my diff whines noticeably (and annoyingly) on acceleration, but I really haven't noticed as much of it during decel like you have. Is that difference attributable to something else?

EDIT: You know what ... I coast a lot with the clutch pedal pushed in as I come to a stop, so that's probably the reason. Never mind.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Drive line angle misalignment..... O.o no. If anything, it's even more in correct alignment now.. Jeez.

The whine is definitely noticable now due to the fluid change, or the bushings or both. My friend removed his CS diff block and went from revshift 95a to CS diff bushing because they caused decel whine to be very noticbly louder than just the CS bushing alone. Maybe try fluid swap first as it's cheaper than different bushings.. I noticed accel whine when I went to revshift 80a cradle bushings.. Just slightly more audible.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by voodoochikin04
My friend removed his CS diff block and went from revshift 95a to CS diff bushing because they caused decel whine to be very noticbly louder than just the CS bushing alone
This is exactly what I suspected and would try if I still daily drove the thing.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

John @ Revshift

Ha....REVSHIFT...Where are they now ? Moved on from the CTS-V platform after such a smear campaign against CS. Good riddance !!
Old 04-08-2016, 12:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OP, how close is that Magnaflow exhaust to the diff case? I recently did street durometer cradle bushings and had a little increase in whine, but minimal. I have heat shielding around the pipes by the rear diff and that made the most notable difference in noise when I did it years ago. It didn't really whine until the car was hot.

Quick Reply: Gear Whine after upgrades