Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Oil Temp went super high...(problem)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Temp went super high...(problem)

Got a 2004 CTS-V for a little over a month now and just last weekend the Oil Temp alarm starting sounding (and showing on the center Nav screen). I looked at the temp and it showed around 290 F.

Now I seem to remember reading that this is actually just a '04 CTS-V computer reading problem and that in actuality the temp is normal and that the computer just needs to be 'flashed' or something.

Am I remembering correctly? In either case I am taking it into the dealer tomorrow.

Thanks for any info.

btw- The past month has been an absolute JOY driving this car. I can't thank you all enough for all the positive posts on this board that basically sealed the deal in my consideration for this car. (Well...that and my first test drive. Woohoo!)
Old 07-12-2004, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would take it to the dealer and have the flash done
Old 07-12-2004, 04:44 PM
Launching!

Yes, the bogus reading has been verfied by others with the same high temp issue by placing oil temperature gauges down the dipstick tube. Last I heard, the updated flash file was not released yet.

My '05 V with the update from the factory runs ~212 *F under normal 70+ mph interstate conditions and ~230 *F while pushing it in stop and go city traffic in 90 *F heat.

Last edited by StealthV; 07-12-2004 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Well I took it in to the dealer this morning. On the way there (in 69 degrees)...some stop and go on the highway for about 30 mins. The oil temp got up to 260 (was slowly climbing the whole way there pretty much). They checked it in and gave me a rental.

Will see what they say later today.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:38 PM
Teching In

RE-Flash was NOT available (at my dealer) as of July 1. If anyone ANYWHERE does get this "flashed" please let me know.
TIA
-Ben
Old 07-14-2004, 10:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TroyCA
Well I took it in to the dealer this morning. On the way there (in 69 degrees)...some stop and go on the highway for about 30 mins. The oil temp got up to 260 (was slowly climbing the whole way there pretty much). They checked it in and gave me a rental.

Will see what they say later today.
1. They will say that it needs a software reflash for oil temp recalibration purposes.

2. They will then say they recieved a PI (preliminary information) message back in May.

3. They will conclude with the fact that the reflash is not yet available, GM doesn't know why, and that no damage will result.

4. You will be frustrated about wasting your time.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by globed70
1. They will say that it needs a software reflash for oil temp recalibration purposes.

2. They will then say they recieved a PI (preliminary information) message back in May.

3. They will conclude with the fact that the reflash is not yet available, GM doesn't know why, and that no damage will result.

4. You will be frustrated about wasting your time.
You are EXACTLY right.
(except for #4...it really didn't bother me too much)
If I had to do this a few times for different things...then I would be upset.

Just got the call from the service dept...basically saying 1,2 & 3 above.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by benjet
If anyone ANYWHERE does get this "flashed" please let me know.
TIA
-Ben
Yep...let us ALL know here please!
Old 07-14-2004, 11:21 AM
Launching!

Hear, hear!

Last edited by StealthV; 07-17-2004 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-28-2004, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Default Cts-v False Oil Temp Readings

I have experienced false high oil temperature readings on my CTS-V. Cadillac has issued a bulletin titled "ASI Resolution - Engine Oil Temperature Gauge Warning (Call TCSC and Reprogram IPC Module) #04-08-49-017A - (Aug 3, 2004)." My dealer followed the instructions in the bulletin and the problem has not reappeared for the 2 days I have had the car back. FYI, the bulletin is for CTS-Vs manufactured April 14, 2004 and before. It appears that Cadillac corrected this problem on CTS-Vs manufactured on April 15, 2004 and later. Therefore installing the module for a "late" model CTS-V may also solve the problem on the "early" CTS-V.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Default Same issue possibly seen on LS1 Corvettes?

Originally Posted by CTSV
I have experienced false high oil temperature readings on my CTS-V. Cadillac has issued a bulletin titled "ASI Resolution - Engine Oil Temperature Gauge Warning (Call TCSC and Reprogram IPC Module) #04-08-49-017A - (Aug 3, 2004)." My dealer followed the instructions in the bulletin and the problem has not reappeared for the 2 days I have had the car back. FYI, the bulletin is for CTS-Vs manufactured April 14, 2004 and before. It appears that Cadillac corrected this problem on CTS-Vs manufactured on April 15, 2004 and later. Therefore installing the module for a "late" model CTS-V may also solve the problem on the "early" CTS-V.
My 2001 Corvette appears to be showing the same behavior with its oil temperature sensor. It will typically show an initial temperature of 235 degrees at start-up when the engine is cold in the morning. It quickly shoots up to 318 degrees after about 20 minutes with normal driving, triggering an alarm on the Driver Information Center display above the steering wheel. It then continues to increase to about 335 degrees. When the engine is warmed up, the coolant is normal at about 220 degrees and the engine performs as normal. Has anyone experienced this? Does Chevy have a similar bulletin?
Old 08-31-2004, 12:00 AM
Staging Lane

The vettes dont have this "bug"... sound like you have a mechanical failure somewhere... you should check the wires coming out of the oil temp sensor... they pass very close to the exhaust, something might have overheated/melted/shorted out.

I *think* your oil temp sensor looks like this:
Old 09-24-2023, 04:38 PM

Howdy,
I'm here from almost 20 years in the future with an 04 V.
Did any of y'all solve this problem?
​​​
Old 09-26-2023, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravy1
Howdy,
I'm here from almost 20 years in the future with an 04 V.
Did any of y'all solve this problem?
​​​
There are a variety of "fixes", and this is something that has plagued V1 owners for the entire almost 20 years that you skipped past.
https://www.cadillacforums.com/threa...for-it.150519/

- #1 is to clean all the grounds - on the back of both cylinder heads, at the passenger side fender near the hood prop, and I think there's another on the passenger frame rail (but I don't recall where exactly that one is).

- Call up oil temp on your display, and then turn the A/C on and off. Does the oil temperature jump / drop by 20-40* (or even more) almost instantaneously when you cycle the A/C? Mine did, set the oil temperature alarm off when I was driving the car home from buying it (used) on a hot summer day! With the grounds cleaned up, the change in oil temp was/is still there, but isn't nearly as big.

- I vaguely recall that for the early Vs there was a TSB or maybe even a recall that replaced a wiring harness to the A/C compressor, and I believe it was because of a ground loop or something related to this oil temp issue. Maybe check with the dealer to see what TSBs or recalls apply to your car, and have them see if they've all been accomplished prior to your ownership.

- There was also a "fix" that the dealer could do to tap off the ground at the oil temp sensor (which is also the oil level sensor, on the side of the oil pan) and run a new ground. I believe the new ground was run to the same point as the instrument cluster ground in the dash. My car has that "fix", but I wouldn't say that actually fixed the issue. In that CF.com thread I linked above there are folks that have run grounds directly from the sensor to the battery, or to the frame rail, or whatever.

Quick Reply: Oil Temp went super high...(problem)