Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Fun Day at MorePerformance!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Fun Day at MorePerformance!

Just thought I’d pass this on.

I’ve been contemplating a 427 cu in motor installation in my V. I’m not a drag racer so I don’t need a motor that makes HP by reving greater than 6500 RPM. I wanted durability and low end torque. I don’t want to wait for the hesitation of a spooling supercharger. Finally, there’s just something about that number, “427”.

There are three companies that I know of within 1000 miles of where I live that will install a 427 motor (Lingenfelter, Mallet, and MorePerformance). After doing a little research I decided to visit MorePerformance, at 360 miles it was the closest from where I live.

I was impressed by several factors. MP’s president, Mike Osucha comes across as a guy who knows what he’s doing, which helps when you’re laying down gobs of money for a major build. He gave me a tour of his facility on a Saturday, when the business is not normally open. He definitely has all the equipment to build just about whatever you want. The build sheet he prepped for me was a list of one first rate piece of hardware after another and his price for the completed 427 was less than the other builders. By the way he specs a C5R block (the real thing) while a more expensive selection by another builder is a re-sleeved block.

It was a good trip and I learned some things. I left knowing that at some point I’d commit to having an upgrade done by MorePerformamce. As an aside, he gave me a ride in his ATI supercharged CTS-V. I still have a crick in my neck from trying to get my head out of the head rests. What a ride!

Last edited by Geno; 08-09-2004 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:47 PM
Teching In

PLEASE READ AND HEED---I have a very good friend of mine who had More Performance build a 427 for his Corvette. He has had all kinds of problems with the engine from the word go. MORE knew very well that they were gving him a piece of crap engine too because they even admitted to having several problems when they ran it prior to giving the final product to him. This guy is a complete car guy too, having several Corvettes as well as many other preformance cars. I would be more than happy to give you his phone number if you IM me. I would hate to see anyone else get treated the way he has. It has cost him tons of money to have this engine built, rebuilt, and continually worked on and STILL its not right. MORE Performance (what a play on words) has screwed him royally and doesn't care. Don't go there!!

And MORE Performance folks...I know you will see this so I will say this to you...screwing your customers WILL catch up with you in the long run.

Last edited by Vettin Man; 08-10-2004 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

oohhhh, fight fight fight.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vettin Man
PLEASE READ AND HEED---I have a very good friend of mine who had More Performance build a 427 for his Corvette. He has had all kinds of problems with the engine from the word go. MORE knew very well that they were gving him a piece of crap engine too because they even admitted to having several problems when they ran it prior to giving the final product to him. This guy is a complete car guy too, having several Corvettes as well as many other preformance cars. I would be more than happy to give you his phone number if you IM me. I would hate to see anyone else get treated the way he has. It has cost him tons of money to have this engine built, rebuilt, and continually worked on and STILL its not right. MORE Performance (what a play on words) has screwed him royally and doesn't care. Don't go there!!

And MORE Performance folks...I know you will see this so I will say this to you...screwing your customers WILL catch up with you in the long run.
I think you need to post the entire facts before writing something like this. You are speaking on someone elses behalf. I can turn around and say that More Performance did an outstanding job on my 427 that makes almost 800 RWHP. I am extremely pleased with the results. I am not an employee of MP, I am a customer and will continue to be one. Mike and his crew are some of the most competent engine builders that I have come across in my year long research project. That is why I chose them to build my car. This included my research of Morgan Motorsports which is now defunct, MTI which has had numerous cracked cylinder sleeves on their 427's. But I believe if you personally have never delt with MP, then you need to shut your hole.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Bryan,

I respect your opinion with regard to my post above. And I do admit that I have not dealt with MP except for a few phone calls months ago when I was looking at a place to do some work on my Z06. I was treated generally well on the phone and had no problems with them in that respect. My good friend who is very, very well respected in the Corvette racing community as well as with anyone who knows him personally decided to get his 427 done there because he was initially pretty impressed much like Geno in the post above.

As I was still trying to decide who to use I thought I would wait and see what kind of a job they did. Well, my post above explains to some extent why I personally will not use them and I will always take the time to at least warn anyone who is contemplating such. As I noted I would be more than happy to supply my friend's phone number if I am sent a PM from someone wanting more info. He would be most happy to explain the whole situation as he doesn't want to see anyone else get screwed like he did, whether he knows you or not. That's just the kind of helpful individual he is. The entire saga would take way too much time and bandwidth to type it all here anyway.

If you are happy with the job they did for you and will continue to use them then I am happy for you. Hopefully it will all turn out well for you. But for those considering going there I just feel that they should understand that there have been problems with them standing by their work in the very recent past, and not just with my friend but also a few others he has found out about since. So you have expressed your opinion and I respect that. And I will continue to use my God given right to express mine in an attempt to make sure people know all sides of the issue. If my "opening my hole" has offended you I apologize as that was certainly not my intent. Hopefully it will make the folks at MP pay a little more attention to detail in their future work. And if that is the case then its worth the effort. Have a great day!
Old 08-15-2004, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Work from More Performance

Bill,
I tell you what, let me try and go at it from another angle. If my motor blew up tomorrow, I would be extremely pissed off. But looking at the situation from their side, no one in the country will build a 427 and warranty the car if it is built for racing purposes. If I am not mistaken not even Lingenfelter's will do that. Even if the car is built for that purpose.

Your friend could have very easily have taken his car to MP, had them build a engine, put it in the car, take it to the track, and have a problem. Now, who is to blame, GM will not even cover a stock motor if it has been to the track. If he had the work done, and was driving out of the parking lot and a rod came out of the side of the motor, well then, that is something different, and I would have expected MP to do something, but I know that is not what happened. If I understand the story correctly, your friend was racing his car, and had the problem.

As I said if my engine had a problem I would be pissed, and if I thought MP was the cause, then I would not bring it back to them, but I truely feel that they are compitent people, and I feel that they did an exceptional job on mine, and Paul Blyth's TA, and the car they are building for some fella out of Louisiana. Since October of last year I have seen a lot of cars come out of that shop, and I do not recall any repeats. In other words people bringing their car back because of poor craftsmanship. Anytime you have a shop and do the number of jobs they do, you are always going to have a complaint or two because you can't please everyone.

The real question is, was it the incompitence of MP that caused your friends engine to have a problem?, Based on my experience, and based soley on the number of engines that I have seen come and go since October, I am going to have to say no. Any average mechanic can put together a 400-500 hp motor. MP has been written up in several trade magazines, and the owner, and builder comes from a racing back ground. Racing people build and rebuild motors every day and sometimes 2 and 3 times in a day and they are engines making over 650 HP. Incompitent people cannot do that.

Unless your friend is from the dark ages, then I am sure he has a computer, and he should be posting his own gripes instead of using you, that is what pissed me off in the first place. There are always and I mean always two sides to every story. Just as much as your friend says they did him wrong, I can say that I would ABSOLUTELY RECOMMEND MORE PERFORMANCE TO DO ANYONES, Fbody, Y body, VIPER, or MUSTANG. I did not say they were inexpensive, but they do know what they are doing when it comes to making horsepower.

RACE ENGINES DO NOT COME WITH A WARRANTY. PERIOD. I have never gotten the impression from anyone at MP, that they wanted to do a bad job on a car so that it could come back and they could get some more money. The shop and parking lot are full of cars getting work done. I remember when your friends engine was being built and I remember how excited everyone was in the shop about how much power it was going to make.

The only complaint that I have with More Performance, is based on the equipment that I supplied to them, with my cats, and every other emission based equipment on my car, More Performance made a guess and said they thought my car would put down 620-630 at the tires based on a engine dyno run of 712hp and 748 TQ, I switched blowers, added an intercooler and bigger injectors, and made 771 rw. Why is that a problem you ask, well, my clutch for one, was only rated up to 700, so we had to take it out of the car Friday and spec will be upgrading it for me. Bob and Walt stayed on Friday evening to take the transmission out for me when I called them at 4:45pm. I had the used clutch in my car in less than an hour on the way to fedex. I do not know of any shop on the planet that would have done that for me. I dont consider making more HP than I thought I would to be a complaint
Old 08-16-2004, 07:28 AM
Teching In

Default my story of MORE performance

Originally Posted by Bryan Wilkinson
Bill,
I tell you what, let me try and go at it from another angle. If my motor blew up tomorrow, I would be extremely pissed off. But looking at the situation from their side, no one in the country will build a 427 and warranty the car if it is built for racing purposes. If I am not mistaken not even Lingenfelter's will do that. Even if the car is built for that purpose.

Your friend could have very easily have taken his car to MP, had them build a engine, put it in the car, take it to the track, and have a problem. Now, who is to blame, GM will not even cover a stock motor if it has been to the track. If he had the work done, and was driving out of the parking lot and a rod came out of the side of the motor, well then, that is something different, and I would have expected MP to do something, but I know that is not what happened. If I understand the story correctly, your friend was racing his car, and had the problem.

As I said if my engine had a problem I would be pissed, and if I thought MP was the cause, then I would not bring it back to them, but I truely feel that they are compitent people, and I feel that they did an exceptional job on mine, and Paul Blyth's TA, and the car they are building for some fella out of Louisiana. Since October of last year I have seen a lot of cars come out of that shop, and I do not recall any repeats. In other words people bringing their car back because of poor craftsmanship. Anytime you have a shop and do the number of jobs they do, you are always going to have a complaint or two because you can't please everyone.

The real question is, was it the incompitence of MP that caused your friends engine to have a problem?, Based on my experience, and based soley on the number of engines that I have seen come and go since October, I am going to have to say no. Any average mechanic can put together a 400-500 hp motor. MP has been written up in several trade magazines, and the owner, and builder comes from a racing back ground. Racing people build and rebuild motors every day and sometimes 2 and 3 times in a day and they are engines making over 650 HP. Incompitent people cannot do that.

Unless your friend is from the dark ages, then I am sure he has a computer, and he should be posting his own gripes instead of using you, that is what pissed me off in the first place. There are always and I mean always two sides to every story. Just as much as your friend says they did him wrong, I can say that I would ABSOLUTELY RECOMMEND MORE PERFORMANCE TO DO ANYONES, Fbody, Y body, VIPER, or MUSTANG. I did not say they were inexpensive, but they do know what they are doing when it comes to making horsepower.

RACE ENGINES DO NOT COME WITH A WARRANTY. PERIOD. I have never gotten the impression from anyone at MP, that they wanted to do a bad job on a car so that it could come back and they could get some more money. The shop and parking lot are full of cars getting work done. I remember when your friends engine was being built and I remember how excited everyone was in the shop about how much power it was going to make.

The only complaint that I have with More Performance, is based on the equipment that I supplied to them, with my cats, and every other emission based equipment on my car, More Performance made a guess and said they thought my car would put down 620-630 at the tires based on a engine dyno run of 712hp and 748 TQ, I switched blowers, added an intercooler and bigger injectors, and made 771 rw. Why is that a problem you ask, well, my clutch for one, was only rated up to 700, so we had to take it out of the car Friday and spec will be upgrading it for me. Bob and Walt stayed on Friday evening to take the transmission out for me when I called them at 4:45pm. I had the used clutch in my car in less than an hour on the way to fedex. I do not know of any shop on the planet that would have done that for me. I dont consider making more HP than I thought I would to be a complaint
i believe i should speak a little for my self..in july of 2003,i gave MORE performance 20,000.00 as a down payment on what i foolisly believed was a 28,000.oo dollar engine build.said so in the ad i read ,and because gm high performance mag. said it was the place to go..in january of 2004 they said to bring the car over so they could install it,7 months later,,i picked it up some week or so later and didn,t make the 45 mile drive home,before the oil pressure was gone,,took it back on a trailer..did i mention i turned on the wind shield wipers??..right one fell off,seems they decided i wouldn't mind them hacking the wipers off to clear an i'll advised sheet metal intake..

several weeks later ,,and now out some 32,000.00 i'm told we can have the car,,went dead at the stop sign at the end of there street,,they said they were still working out the computer,i'd need to keep the revs up a little..
i have 40 whole pounds of oil pressure at 60 mph in 5th on the interstate on the way home..
next we take the car to an autocross,10 laps,50 seconds each,one at a time,,,belt come

s off on the first one,,so we figure we better not rev it up to keep the belt on,,eleventh lap,,num,ber 7 rod breaks...now i have a 32000.00 engine that won't run,they tell me no block damage ,i go by as they are reworking see weld on the block,well just in case they say,,,,they say we need to put in new rods ,pistons ,rings,etc. i ,again thinking boy thaey sure are taking good care of me,say sure thanks for being so through...then a bill for a 6000.00 rebuild,plus ya gotta have the new FAST intake and 90 mm throttle body!! so we leave with it again,it's now july,2004we out over 40,000 total,the new electricwater pump quits on the way home,and the gears screaming bloody murder,,,they ran it on the dyno like that ,said ,boy that new trans you bought sure is loud!!!i take out the trans and diff. myself,,the diff was bad....did i mention the 160.00 dollars for installing the little srews in the end of the front springs...now it's mid august ,i 'm afraid to take it to the autocrosses cause it has 45 pounds of pressure at 4000 rpm,and no support from the builder unless i pay some more,i'm sure......now that i read my ramblings i see i'm the one who wasn't through,,the engine in my 96 has been autocrossed and run on track events foe 31/2 years with no problems what so ever,except it had a bad set of lifters when originally built,,more worked on it,didn't fix it,charged me though,myron at tpis had it straighten out in 4 hoursdid i mention i only have one windshield wiper???....
Old 08-16-2004, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Reply to problem with MP

Ok,

You have mentioned some stuff here that needs examining.

1st lets look at money spent, you and I are on even ground. I have every bit as much in mine if not more than you do.
2nd, lets look at the oil pressure problem. I had the exact same thing; they told me if it was not in the red it was ok. I went with that explanation. It is an idiot gauge. I drop it around town stop and go traffic, never went into the red. However, I took it on a little trip about 60 miles and go stuck in traffic, and when the oil got hot enough it thinned out and lost all of my pressure. I know what is causing this. There is a huge misconception about oil and weight. Where most people believe that winter requires 5w-30 and summer requires 10w-30, because it is heavier, that is the misconception. All oil is judged in the industry by a viscosity index table. The higher the number the better the oil formula reacts or (doesn’t react to temperature changes). Mobil 1 5w-30 has a VI index of 165, Mobil1 10W-30 has a VI index of 145. Which means 10W-30 should not be in yours nor my motor. After further research and communication with Mobil 1 and Amsoil, which their 0w-30 has an index of 196, and Mobil 1 racing 0w-30 has a VI index of 175, I switch oil and went with an oil cooler. Oil Problem solved. When building a race motor the bearing tolerances are much tighter, requiring a lighter weight oil on cold starts to fully lubricate the bearings.
3rd, Lets talk about your car cutting off at the end of the street. This is not new. I am not sure who led you to believe or if it was your own experience that let you to believe that this could not happen to you, however, when you are tuning a car, like yours and mine, several things have to take place. More Performance is not GM, they tune just like everyone else in the country, by example. You put the car on the dyno, and tune for WOT. Then they drive the car around and get it as close as they can. You take the car out and drive it around, and take it back for adjustments until you get it right or you get a wideband o2 and tuning package and make the finite adjustments yourself. My car hates the cold morning until it goes into closed loop operation. MP has made no complaints about working with me to get this worked out. I knew before I took the car too them that with as much displacement as we have, you and I, that this would be something that would take time. Every tuner in the world should tell you the same thing, there is no magic tune for every combination as each car is different. Time is money, so I would expect to pay them for their time in working this out. I have paid my fair share of tuning time.
4th, belt coming off and bad rod. There has been a problem with vibrations making the belt jump off at 4200rpm. Katech sells a solution to this. If the belt came off the first time, and caused any damage, when you put it back on, the damage could have already been done, and at that point it was a matter of time.
5th, In regards to the sheet metal intake and cut windshield wiper, did you ask them to install the sheet metal intake no matter what. Or did they recommend the sheet metal intake and tell you that they were going to have problems making it fit, and cut it at your request, or did they recommend the intake, and not tell you and then cut the wiper blade without telling you. After reviewing the performance of the LSX compared to the Sheet metal intake, it was probably a better way to go, which I am sure you would have wanted to know. When they installed the sheet metal intake, they probably did not know what the performance gains were at that point. When you had come back they knew and made the recommendation.
5th, Block Welding. Based on the amount of money you had spent, if they could make the repair to the block, and it be safe, and reliable, is that not satisfactory. I spent $6300 for my block and if I cracked my block I would cry like a little girl. That was the Number 1 reason that I did not assemble my own motor. I was nervous about having a problem. If I did damage it, and it was repairable, I would allow them to repair it. It really all depends on where the damage was, and what kind of problems could creep up later because of the weld. When you are dealing with as much money as you and I are, it is hard to say.
6th, Transmission and rear end, did you supply the rear end to MP or did they build and install it for you. If they built it and it sounded like that, they I would be pretty pissed, but if you supplied it or they never serviced it, then I would not hold them responsible.

The main point to all of this, this entire business is all about customization. We are stepping away from the factory and doing something 180 degrees in the other direction. I have been in the learning phase of this process before and that’s why I can be calm about this. I will continue to use them because I do understand the process of customization and when you step out of the box as you and I have done, there are things that we have to realize. More Performance is performing a service, they did not come to us and sell us on a product, we went to them and they used their expertise to complete the task. I have upgraded almost every piece in my car to prepare for 800RWHP. The clutch gave out on the dyno on Friday. This is not because MP did something wrong. I bought the clutch, and gave it to them to install. I also picked the rods, crank, block, shaft rockers, and everything else that went into the car, not because MP couldn’t, because I wanted to use something different. The parts they use in their engines are more than capable of supporting 1000HP. My car is an 02 TA. But anytime you make the modifications that you and I have made, you have to upgrade the entire car to prepare for it.

Just for the record, the one piece I have really learned in all of my dealings with MP is patience. I took my car to them in October last year, Mike had said to me 3-4 weeks. I picked up the car 3 weeks ago, and they have it back because I wanted to reinforce the oil temp situation, install a torque arm, rear sway bar, and LSX intake, and when the clutch went out I was actually a little excited, because I had found a weak point in the car, and I wanted it fixed. If I had to do it all over again from scratch, I would have gone back to MP, because perfection takes time, and when you are making more than 500HP, you can not cut corners. You have to prepare for every possible type of failure and when your done, hope that you covered all of the basis. My experience has led me to believe that it is not up to MP to cover the entire basis. Making 800HP is expensive and time consuming. Are they the most experienced engine builders on the planet, probably not, are they in the top 3%, I would say so.

As I am not affiliated with MP in anyway, shape or form, I am a fellow car enthusiasts like yourself. And I truly feel your pain, and frustration. I do hope that you are able to get it worked out and able to autocross your car again; as I am sure you enjoy driving your car as I do mine.

Good Luck.
Bryan
Old 08-20-2004, 12:26 PM
Teching In

I reply only as someone who is reading this thread, not someone who has dealt with or has any experience with engine builders.

If I purchase a $20,000 engine build, installation, etc., I expect the entire process to cost $20,000.

It sounds to me like these people are having trouble with the quality of work MP is doing as well as continuing to be billed for tune-ups and other things to fix the initial problems after they received the car. MP or whoever should have the car running near perfectly when they give the car to the customer; if not, then MP should pay to fix/tune it.

If MP has any experience with engine building, they should be able to recommend against an engine configuration that a customer requests if they believe it not to work out correctly.

Last thing; If I was to buy a 500+ HP engine, I'm not just going to be jerking off to it with the hood open.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default reply LS6Caddy

LS6Caddy,

Well now…..I am going to have to disagree first off because I did spend
over 20,000 on my engine alone. You cannot just spend $20,000 on an engine
and leave it at that. You have to upgrade everything else along the way to
be able to support that engine and its power.

As I said before, I firmly believe that there was not one thing wrong with
the engine, the way it was assembled, or the way it was mounted in the car.
If you know anything about engines and cars, which it sounds like you do,
then perhaps you would know that when you first start a motor after a
rebuild, it has to have a break in period, for rings and bearings to set.
You would probably also know that when a GM computer has been disconnected
that takes approx 10 cycles for the computer to sync itself. I can almost
guarantee that this person with the problem, called the shop and said I
have a race to go to, and wanted his car back after the tuning had been
done. Running a car on the dyno does not count for the 10 cycles. Every
time a new calibration is loaded the cycle counter is reset. In addition,
if the oil got hot, then it would have gotten thin, causing him to lose oil
pressure. That is what the idiot gauge is for. The very first time I took
my car out, mine did the exact same thing. Is that MP fought? NO. I called
them back and set up an appointment to have an oil cooler installed and
switched to a better grade oil. Should MP have gotten me the oil cooler,
oil and installed it for free because they didn’t think of that? NO. Did
they recommend it before hand? NO, The problem here is that the USER was
expecting this to be a plug and play setup and it was. Right up to the
point where he was at the track and the belt came off the first time. That
was a sign right there that something could be wrong, and he should have
stopped, but if you read his email, he replaced the belt and had at it
again and this time he lost the ROD. There is no way in the world that this
is the fought of the engine builder. Not in any way shape or form. If the
user, Corvette fanatic or not, is too (and I don’t want to use the word
stupid), to know that he should have stopped, then what are you to do. I am
willing to bet a serious sum of money that the rod was either weakened or
damaged when the belt came off the first time.
My car is at their shop now waiting on a clutch. More didn’t think that I
would make over 650RWHP. So when my 700hp rated clutch went out, should
they be responsible for buying and installing a new clutch for me. I think
not. Frankly I wasn’t expecting SPEC to step up like they did. More
Performance is providing a service. If they are taking the motor out, or
putting it in, swapping out a belt, changing a spark plug, that is time and
time is money. I am also willing to bet very serious money that this user
got his car, left the shop and got on his car extremely hard without any
break in period. Even if he didn’t it is not their fought because he was
racing his car and broke a rod. I told MP when my clutch came back I wanted
to go ahead with the dyno run and they told me that they recommended
against it, because they wanted the clutch to break in. They also told me
to go easy on the car for the first 1000 miles to allow for proper break in
on the engine when I first picked it up. I personally think for someone who
is an expert in corvette racing person, I would have thought that this
person would have been smarter than that.

This is nothing personally against you, I like yourself have had many years
in the customization end of things, and I really don’t think any wrong
doing was done here. If I through a rod tomorrow, I would continue with my
current stance. I would be extremely upset, at the thought of replacing a
$6200 block, but oil, oil pressure, and common sense are all required to
play in this arena. Please what ever you do, do not take anything that I
have said here personally. I personally admire you greatly, if you are
indeed driving your email name. VSeries forever.

Sincerely
Bryan
Old 08-20-2004, 06:17 PM
Teching In

... Please what ever you do, do not take anything that I have said here personally. ...

Sincerely
Bryan

None taken.

You could say I know a little about cars, but as I said, I have never dealt with an engine shop/builder, so I don't know how they work.

To me, personally, if the engine package/whatever is advertised for $20K, then that should include everything to run the engine correctly (I'm not talking about the crate engines you can buy online).

It's kinda like the performance shop saying "Bring your car to us, and we will give you 500 HP" without stating that you might need to spend another $20K to get it running properly. Or maybe that is stated, I dunno, in which case it is the user/purchaser's fault for complaining about spending that much money anyway.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I completely agree. In my shopping around, I find that most shops do tell you about these kind of things, but a majority of the people can't afford it, just like you see people on the forum looking for used oxygen sensors. I completely don't get it. When dealing with this kind of stuff, it needs to be a all or nothing. If you have enough money to get a 700hp motor, or a 450-500 motor with reinforced rear end, and transmission, you should go get the 450-500 setup. If not you are just asking for trouble.

By the way, how is the Caddy to drive. I have test driven one, but when test driving at the dealership I consider it rude to jump down on car that is not mine. The V or V-plus will be on my purchase list for next summer.

Old 08-20-2004, 11:33 PM
Teching In

I think you and I might be talking about two seperate things: I am probably describing advertised engine packages where you might be talking about a complete custom job. However, I just was on MP's website and saw that they advertise the engine and price and state that additional items may be necessary.

Anyways,
No dealership would allow a test drive for the V. It wasn't the fact that I thought I might not like driving the car, but that I cannot justify spending $50K without test driving the car. It definitely feels faster as it gets more miles. The only concern of mine is the sometimes-evident poor quality that GM puts into the car in places.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm still trying to figure out how losing an accessory drive belt can be an indicator that the engine is about to throw a rod?
Old 08-21-2004, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

A sailor down my way had them rebuild his LT1 when he broke a rod. He admits to spending about 10,000 for the rebuild and dynotune. It made a staggering 320 to the wheels on a local dyno and it's a 6 speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have done no buisness with them and will do none in the future.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TTopJohn
I'm still trying to figure out how losing an accessory drive belt can be an indicator that the engine is about to throw a rod?
If the engine was low on oil pressure and the crank belt came off, you don't think that could have damaged something?
Old 08-21-2004, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Quickshotkimber
A sailor down my way had them rebuild his LT1 when he broke a rod. He admits to spending about 10,000 for the rebuild and dynotune. It made a staggering 320 to the wheels on a local dyno and it's a 6 speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have done no buisness with them and will do none in the future.
I think this comment is valid. But all you have said here is that it had a broke rod, you didnt say anything about any of the other work that was done. Did More just replace the rod, all of the rods, the block, was there any other work done, rear end, etc. When did it happen, I am 100% certain that no shop including more would have spent just 10K on rebuilding a motor for 320hp when they could have bought a crate motor for 1/2 that. JUST THE FACTS PLEASE. NO GUESSING AND NO HEARSAY.

This is what I am talking about, in this thread and on this fourm. You are not the person who had the problem, you didnt see the reciept, all you have here is hearsay. This fourm is full of just that. People talking about a whole bunch of topics and only about 35% of the talk has any real knowledge behind it.

You might as well have been one of the other children on the forum responding to threads without a drivers license let alone a car, with the comment you made here.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If the engine was low on oil pressure and the crank belt came off, you don't think that could have damaged something?
How? The oil pump isn't belt driven. Maybe if you kept driving it with no water pump and overheated it? - but it's pretty obvious when the belt comes off since you lose your power steering. Anyhow, that still wouldn't cause a thrown rod.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls6caddy
I think you and I might be talking about two seperate things: I am probably describing advertised engine packages where you might be talking about a complete custom job. However, I just was on MP's website and saw that they advertise the engine and price and state that additional items may be necessary.

Anyways,
No dealership would allow a test drive for the V. It wasn't the fact that I thought I might not like driving the car, but that I cannot justify spending $50K without test driving the car. It definitely feels faster as it gets more miles. The only concern of mine is the sometimes-evident poor quality that GM puts into the car in places.
The only way I got the test drive, I had bought another car from the dealership and told them, they needed to pony up. I was also contacted by Arnold Palmer Cadillac in Charlotte for a test drive. I had been communicating with a VP at the Cadillac Performance division, and he sent me a letter telling me to go test drive, then he contacted the local dealership and had them call me, go figure. This is not the place, but, I liked everything about that car, and I liked everything about the CTS with the baby northstar V6. The only comment I will make as a suggestion, when driving the CTS-V, I did not enjoy the ride itself. I enjoyed the ride in the CTS with 17 inch wheels. The performance suspension, was too firm in my opinion. I do understand why it is like that, but I really feel the 17" setup is just as good, and would allow track and daily driving situations.

Again, I look forward to mine next year.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TTopJohn
How? The oil pump isn't belt driven. Maybe if you kept driving it with no water pump and overheated it? - but it's pretty obvious when the belt comes off since you lose your power steering. Anyhow, that still wouldn't cause a thrown rod.

Ok Obviously you didnt understand what I was saying and didnt read the earlier post. Lets have a small discussion about oil and its properties. Oil is rated by a Viscosity Index. You can review this for yourself by going to any oil manufactures web site. But to save time I will briefly discuss.

Mobile 1 5w-30 has a VI of 165
Mobile 1 10w-30 has a VI of 145
Mobile 1 0w-30 has a VI of 175
Royal Purple 5w-30 has a VI of 161. So much for the hype on this stuff.Everything else they have is less than this.
Red Line 5w-30 has a VI of 153 What a joke.
Red Line 5w-40 has a VI of 170, getting better. This is the best they have.
Amsoil 0w-30 has a VI of 196.

This is not stuff that I am making up. It is fact. All oil is government tested and you can see the specs on each companies site.

What do these numbers mean, they mean that the higher the number the more stable the oil is at its extreme temp range. Thus, if 10w-30 was put in the engine. He goes racing, The oil gets hot. It starts to thin out. So now he does not have the protection he had before and hince the low oil pressure. The oil pump had absolutely nothing to do with him losing pressure. I know this because I have first hand experience with this and I was just sitting in traffic. When I started the car, the idiot gauge was reading 75% pressure the was an accident on the interstate and as I sat after drving the car on the interstate, the oil Pressure dropped over the course of 60 miles down to about 25%. When I got stuck in stop and go traffic, the if I reved the engine the oil pressure came back up. but when I let off it was back down till finally it went into the red and cut the car off because the computer was protecting the car. After letting the car cool down for 2.5 hours, it was back up to 75%. Theory Proven. I am now using Amsoil and no longer have the problem. Do not even try to dispute any of this, it will not do you any good. fact is fact. Don't get all excited about this either, everyone that I have talked to about it, knew absolutely nothing about it.

Now back to him driving, he is at the track. Racing his car, oil is heating up, pressure is droping. Making the situation in the engine bad enough because he is racing. Hes not watching the gauge, because if he was he would have stopped. Any intelligent person racing their car, should be watching their oil pressure. Hince the reason for having all of those gauges in the car. They are not suppose to be just for looks. So now the belt comes off. Being that I do not know what his configuration was I will assume the belt driving the crank. If the belt came off and was at any RPM now the pistons are not under any type of control. What I was saying is that the rod could have been semi damaged at that point. Low oil pressure and belt coming off at high RPM. Then he wasn't finished, GO READ HIS EMAIL, he turned around and put the belt on and took off racing again. The Low Oil Pressure should have been enough to get him to stop and have it checked out. I can't believe any one would expect a shop to be resposible for this kind of stupidity.

Lets look at the facts.
1. He left the shop with a car that the computer had not finished going throuhgh the learning cycle.
2. I can almost guarentee he got on it before he got home, not allowing the engine to go through the 500-1000 mile burn in period for the rings and bearings.
3. He goes to the track, assumed that his oil pressure was ok, and went racing, probably without any type of oil pan with trap doors, his oil getting hot and getting thin. He's not looking at the gauge, and a belt comes off. The belt probably came off due to a resonance vibration at 4200RPM, and with oil pressure low and the belt coming off, probably caused a problem with a rod. so now he puts the belt back on, returns to racing, and boom.

No matter how many differnt way you or anyone else including himself talks about this, the fact remains and the main purpose of this thread was, he had an engine built, didn't upgrade the rest of his car to support the power, oil pressure ran low, he broke a rod and now he and everyone else thinks that More Performance should repair his engine due to his stupidity at no charge. NOT ONE SHOP ANYWHERE IN THE UNITED STATES, CANADA or ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD would warranty his motor because he was RACING.

I truely hopes that this indeed clears this matter up for everyone. Lingenfelter, MTI, nor anyone else would cover it. Lingenfelter has a 2 year, 24000 mile warranty on their engines, but read the fine print, racing is not included.

Have a nice day.

Quick Reply: Fun Day at MorePerformance!