Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

How to disable DRL's?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to disable DRL's?????

Greetings!!!!!!!!

As of this afternoon I am officially the proud owner of a brand new silver/blk w/roof CTS-V! I pick her up first thing in the morning, and I cannot wait!!!!!

My question: does anyone know how to disable those hideous, orange day-time running lights? I have seen the link with the instructions on how to remove the little box underneath the drivers dash and clipping a wire to kill the DRLs, but I was wondering if anyone has found a simpler way? For example, on my '00 Silverado, if you press the "dome override" button 4-times, it will turn off the DRLs

Thanks in advance for any insight.

-Matt
Old 08-26-2004, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

Pull the "Approach Light" fuse on Z06 (always thought that was pretty creative name)

Dont think there is an easier way on CTS than the wire cut.

BTW, Congrats on the car!!
Old 08-26-2004, 09:12 PM
Launching!

Answer on the DRls is here:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/disdrl.html

Dreamin' does that fuse pull work as well, did you confirm this? No other adverse affects (fog light not work, etc)?

Check out the FAQ and send me your info for the registry..

Congrats!

Reed
http://www.cadillacfaq.com
Old 08-26-2004, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry for the confusing post... the fuse pull is for the Z06 only... I was agreeing with BowenCT that it's easy in other cars... there is no 'approach' fuse on the CTS.

For the CTS, cutting the wire is the only way, as far as I know.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

Decided i'm going to kill my DRL's... Just ordered a DRL module... i'll hack that one up and leave the stock one alone... will have some pics for you soon Reed.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:48 AM
DCF
Teching In

I disabled mine by clipping the lead inside the module before it attaches to the curcuit board. This way I can solder a jumper wire over the break, put the cover back on the module and it will restore the DRLs without disturbing the wiring harness. I also considered running from either side of the break to a switch so I could disable/enable the DRLs at will but haven't done this yet.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dreamin
Pull the "Approach Light" fuse on Z06 (always thought that was pretty creative name)

Dont think there is an easier way on CTS than the wire cut.

BTW, Congrats on the car!!
The reason the fuse is labled "Approach Lights" on the Z06 is that it is the fuse that controls the two lights that come on next to the license plate (same as backup lights) that come on when you hit the Unlock button on the keyless remote if you have the "Approach Lights On" set up on the DIC. That's what they call those lights in the rear, not the DRLs in the front.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

Oh duh! Thanks, that makes a lot of sense... I always thought that GM just referred to the DRL as "approach"... meaning you can see the car approaching you...

Anyway pulling this fuse (#2) deactived the yellow front DRL lights on my Z06 ('02), as it did on many other owners' Z06s: http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56133

It does have the side affect that the DRL lights and white reverse lights dont flash when unlocking the car w/fob. It did not affect the yellow front flashers.

If pulling the fuse does not turn off your Z06's front DRLs... that's new for '04...
Old 06-16-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ctsvett
Answer on the DRls is here:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/disdrl.html

Dreamin' does that fuse pull work as well, did you confirm this? No other adverse affects (fog light not work, etc)?

Check out the FAQ and send me your info for the registry..

Congrats!

Reed
http://www.cadillacfaq.com
I know i'm bringing this WAAAAY back from the dead, but do you just reverse this if your DRL's aren't working!?! I was trying to figure out if there was a way to turn them off/on with the radio, but couldn't find it. I can't imagine the previous owner just doing this mod, but maybe they did. Mine won't come on for some reason.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:13 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by DCF
I disabled mine by clipping the lead inside the module before it attaches to the curcuit board. This way I can solder a jumper wire over the break, put the cover back on the module and it will restore the DRLs without disturbing the wiring harness. I also considered running from either side of the break to a switch so I could disable/enable the DRLs at will but haven't done this yet.
Thanks for the tip!

Did this last night with the help of the FAQ link and it worked great! I wished my hands were smaller geez no fun squeezing in there upside down either ...
Old 06-19-2008, 08:59 PM
Banned

Dont Know Why U Would Want To Turn Off That Distinct Caddy Look...turn The Left Hand Singnal Switch Forward And Turn On The Fogs, Led's, And Ambers....and Dont Be Such A Hillbilly...rock Out With Ur Cck Out! If U Dont Wanna Be Seen In Ur High End Sport Sedan Then Ur In The Wrong Segment.... =]
Attached Thumbnails How to disable DRL's?????-picture-014-488.jpg  

Quick Reply: How to disable DRL's?????