Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Starting WHEEL HOP mods requesting insight

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting WHEEL HOP mods requesting insight

Winter, no better time to try mods.

I have read most of the threads on multiple sites on mods and would like to receive some guidance on my plans and pitfalls to avoid.

Okay Starting from bone stock I have decided to cure the wheel hop before amplifying this problem with HP mods.

CTS-V 2005 with dealer installed factory sport shocks

Wheel hop plans
Change tires to GY Eagle GS-D3, review effects (tires already purchased & received)
BMR AWK001 Wheel hop kit, review effects hopefully resolved wheel hop, if not
BMR TC018 trailing arms, review effects hopefully resolved wheel hop, if not
BMR TR001 Toe rods, review effects hopefully resolved wheel hop, if not
#%* @#%# and kick something in my garage, than hospital for a cast on my foot.
After the healing process, I am done because if the wheel hop cannot be cured then I will not waste additional $$$ on HP mods.

So, am I barking up the right tree? Do I have other options to cure the wheel hop? I would love to find the silver bullet to kill this problem but in all the threads I have read NO ONE can say one single item cured it.

If thing go well I can start the mod’s we all love and costs too much. “HP of course”.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

No but I did hear the trailing arms noisy on the street.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

I tried that, and have the same reduction of wheel hop without the noise after removing the toe rods and trailing arms. Negligible, if any improvement with those two parts to wheel hop...but they do tighten up the rear and make the car feel a little more crisp.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:17 PM
Teching In

I agree with your thought process - more HP that can't be effectively used does make a lot of sense. JMHO

Tony
Old 02-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

Default hop

Specter werks has a bushing mod kit. I bought it but havent received it. THey say its used on the race car. It doesent hard lock the cradle like BMR so there isnt an increase in noise.
Guess I'll find out in a couple weeks.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

Hey, lasstss, ever receive any lowering springs? I've had both on order now for over two months, bought the Eibach off of Ebay only to receive a refund a few weeks later as the seller couldn't deliver...?
Old 02-06-2005, 10:52 AM
Staging Lane

Default springs

Funny you should ask. I had them on order from Drivewire since October. I finally told them to stuff it! If it takes this long to make a set of springs, it means there is problems!
I have a set of HR on order from tire rack also since october. Im about ready to cancel also. The HR has more realistic lowering 1.0". The eibachs are too low.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:48 AM
Teching In

Thanks all,

Wildwhl, you have tried this, do you think the BMR wheel hop kit reduced wheel hop by 75 %?
Do you feel the BMR kit reduced the wheel hop effetely, so suspension components won’t break if a little tire spin happens and happens? Yes, it could happen more than once.
Do you still have the BMR wheel hop kit on your car?

I would like to hear from people that have tried kits. I don’t trust advertisement hype. I did make a call to Specter Werks, I guess 8:15 was too early for them; I will call them back later today. I would like to order something by the end of this week unless someone can show I would be throwing away my money.

Thanks
Rick
Old 02-07-2005, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Whats the part number on the Eibach springs?

I am also interested in the BMR kit and its effectiveness.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:00 AM
Teching In

Default Have you received those bushing yet?

Originally Posted by lasstss
Specter werks has a bushing mod kit. I bought it but havent received it. THey say its used on the race car. It doesent hard lock the cradle like BMR so there isnt an increase in noise.
Hi lasstss,
how about those bushing. I spoke with Jeff at Specter Werks Monday and he has the bushing in stock for $250 for the kit. is this price correct? Would you post a picture of this bushing? I'm curious to see how they layered the aluminum and urethane.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What's Chuck Mallett using? C&D reported that his CTS-V has an "anti wheelhop kit", and they didn't mention any wheelhop when they tested his car.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:31 PM
Teching In

I added the BMR wheel hop kit, the trailing arms, the toe rods, and the pinion bracket. A lot of noise was transferred to the cabin, and I am now in process of removing pinion bracket to see if that corrects it. My mechanic matched the BMR toe rods to the stock ones for length (he says exactly), but the alignment was so far off I smoked the rear tires on a 700 mile road trip (total miles 5500 at that point, and the run flats did work as advertised). Replaced all tires with non run flats, saved the fronts to use as spares, and took car to dealer for alignment. Took them 8 working days to figure out how to align it, but now it works great. I haven't done any rocket launches dry yet, but wet the car fishtails a bit, but no hop. I suspect from what I've read here and other sites that getting rid of the OEM tires is a big part of the solution. I just wish I could find a spare wheel for less than $500.00.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lasstss
Do you have a tel number for Specter?
Old 03-02-2005, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chipdelay
I added the BMR wheel hop kit, the trailing arms, the toe rods, and the pinion bracket. A lot of noise was transferred to the cabin, and I am now in process of removing pinion bracket to see if that corrects it. My mechanic matched the BMR toe rods to the stock ones for length (he says exactly), but the alignment was so far off I smoked the rear tires on a 700 mile road trip (total miles 5500 at that point, and the run flats did work as advertised). Replaced all tires with non run flats, saved the fronts to use as spares, and took car to dealer for alignment. Took them 8 working days to figure out how to align it, but now it works great. I haven't done any rocket launches dry yet, but wet the car fishtails a bit, but no hop. I suspect from what I've read here and other sites that getting rid of the OEM tires is a big part of the solution. I just wish I could find a spare wheel for less than $500.00.
8 days for an alignment? I did a 4-wheel on a V in 45 minutes.
We've had 2 V's in the shop that we put tires on before winter (they were Dunlops, I believe). Their factory tires were worn out b/t 5-6k miles Had to do alignments on both as well. I've only spoken to one of the owners, and he said just swapping tires cured wheel-hop, though he said his car never had a lot of wheel-hop from the start. Haven't spoken with the other owner yet.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:13 AM
Teching In

Specter Werkes, phone # 248-583-9559
Old 03-03-2005, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Before you go and do anything stupid, you should look over at cadillacowners.com. There is an awesome man creating a home solution to this problem. What he is doing is the reason I bought an American car. Once he gets it tweeked, I'll be sending him a check. So far it sounds like a great help. Personally I am not a mechanic, or anything but it sounds from what cadillac is saying and others who areowners are saying there is no 100% fix. I think a combination of things is going to knock it down enough.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ahahnu
Before you go and do anything stupid, you should look over at cadillacowners.com. There is an awesome man creating a home solution to this problem. What he is doing is the reason I bought an American car. Once he gets it tweeked, I'll be sending him a check. So far it sounds like a great help. Personally I am not a mechanic, or anything but it sounds from what cadillac is saying and others who areowners are saying there is no 100% fix. I think a combination of things is going to knock it down enough.

Thanks, I will take a look.

Quick Reply: Starting WHEEL HOP mods requesting insight