Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

CTS-V with ATI ProCharger D-1SC

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 07:02 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile CTS-V with ATI ProCharger D-1SC

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=33

If anyone has any ideas on installing an air to air intercooler for the ATI ProCharger D-1SC, please let me know. Thanks. Bob
Old 09-19-2005, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked during my break, plenty of room behind the lower grill, but getting the tubes routed is going to be the problem. I don't see being able to use the passenger side for anything as the CPU/fuse block is there.
What about using an intercooler where the inlet/outlet is on the same side?

I have not had a chance to check what's there, but will if you need me to.

I just checked out the C6 kit, over the radiator is pretty crazy, but I don't think it's doable on the Vs.

It looks like the GTO kits come around to the passenger side, I'm assuming they don't have the electrical stuff there like the Vs?

-Mat
Old 09-20-2005, 07:17 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mat347
I looked during my break, plenty of room behind the lower grill, but getting the tubes routed is going to be the problem. I don't see being able to use the passenger side for anything as the CPU/fuse block is there.
What about using an intercooler where the inlet/outlet is on the same side?

I have not had a chance to check what's there, but will if you need me to.

I just checked out the C6 kit, over the radiator is pretty crazy, but I don't think it's doable on the Vs.

It looks like the GTO kits come around to the passenger side, I'm assuming they don't have the electrical stuff there like the Vs?

-Mat
Thanks Mat. The intercooler that we used on the Grand Am turbo project in my project car section has the inlet and outlets on the same side. With your input it might be the best way to go, I'd like to get as many things ordered before the car shows up.
The ATI ProCharger GTO kit mounts on the driver side, and as long as we have sufficient room for the supercharger inlet plumbing, which will be close to the shock tower, we should be able to make everything work. Bob
Old 09-20-2005, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

Will this be a one time custom kit, or will this be offered as a Procharger kit for the V?
The P-1SC would be fine for what I want to do with the car.

And with the GTO, I meant that the plumbing for the intercooler outlet went around to the passenger side from the picture I saw.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:38 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Will this be a one time custom kit, or will this be offered as a Procharger kit for the V?
The P-1SC would be fine for what I want to do with the car.

And with the GTO, I meant that the plumbing for the intercooler outlet went around to the passenger side from the picture I saw.
We're not sure at this time as far as what this install might bring for future kits. Certainly if we can make it work fairly easily we will be doing many more of these installs. I'm sure if there is a big demand, Cary (in charge of Sales at ATI) at ATI ProCharger will be looking into it. I spoke with Cary yesterday about what we are doing for this CTS-V.
The P-1SC and the D-1SC both use the same housing, but the D-1SC can handle more boost. Either one could be used in this application, although the D-1SC can support many more future engine upgrades before running out of breath.
The intercooler plumbing will indeed be a challenge... Bob
Old 09-22-2005, 11:20 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Well this idea might be completely insane and have no chance of working...but what about a top-mount intercooler like the STI's have? I was hanging out with my buddies last night, two of which have STI's and figured it would be worth a shot to suggest. Feel free to shoot it down though in a blaze of glory because I have no clue if it would work on an LS-powered car. Just figured id throw it out there!
Thanks, I'll look into it. Typically a top mount intercooler isn't the best way to go due to heatsoak, but I'll check it out. Bob
Old 09-29-2005, 06:20 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

The V showed up yesterday. We're currently doing an ATI ProCharger install on a '04 automatic GTO, and the power steering pump looks to be the biggest hurdle to using the GTO ProCharger on the V. We'll work it out somehow... Bob
Old 10-05-2005, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

How much louder, if any, is the D-1 over the P-1? I have heard a P-1SC in action and would want to keep the V sleeper quiet just as the Vette it was on.

Great to hear everything is going so well. Are you keeping measurements of the modifications needed for the V? I sure do hope so for the sake of a much needed supercharger kit alternative for our Vs!
Old 10-05-2005, 07:52 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Question

How much louder, if any, is the D-1 over the P-1? I have heard a P-1SC in action and would want to keep the V sleeper quiet just as the Vette it was on.

Great to hear everything is going so well. Are you keeping measurements of the modifications needed for the V? I sure do hope so for the sake of a much needed supercharger kit alternative for our Vs!
No visable noise increase can be heard with the D-1SC over the P-1SC, in my opinion. Once a 500 mile break in is done, the gear noise quiets down quite a bit.
We are indeed keeping measurements. We've made templates for the items. We have an ATI Performance Products harmonic balancer coming hopefully tomorrow, and with fingers crossed it will allow the bottom ATI ProCharger GTO pulley to work. If it doesn't, we'll have to have a bottom pulley machined. Bob

Last edited by Exotic Performance Plus; 10-12-2005 at 05:35 AM.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:37 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

The ATI harmonic balancer worked out for us! Intercooler plumbing is currently being installed, and with any luck we'll have this V on our dyno in several days. Bob
Old 10-12-2005, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

Nice! What PSI are you shooting for? Did you use the 2 or 3 core intercooler?
Besides computer tuning(and what was previously stated), any other changes required(injectors, fuel pumps, etc)? Any crazy accessory changes needed?
Old 10-15-2005, 06:50 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Nice! What PSI are you shooting for? Did you use the 2 or 3 core intercooler?
Besides computer tuning(and what was previously stated), any other changes required(injectors, fuel pumps, etc)? Any crazy accessory changes needed?
We are shooting for 7-8 psi. We used a two core intercooler. 42lb fuel injectors, Kenne Bell boost a pump, nothing seemingly crazy, just a lot of time and effort. Bob
Old 10-15-2005, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by captmd11
I plan on one or the other on my '05. Comments?
That's my car at EPP. I just don't think you can get the horsepower with a magnacharger as efficiently as you can with the procharger. I had actually bought one (maggie) before I took my car up to these guys (who know their sh*t, by the way), and I sold it to a forum member. That being said, the way each car drives will be different, and I'm sure it is alot of fun to drive a magnacharger with all that low-end torque. I'm happy with my decision though, and will be thrilled when Bob posts my numbers!

Mark
Old 10-17-2005, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

I've been wondering the differences. What makes the one better then the other?
Old 10-17-2005, 10:14 AM
Banned

you can get efficiently 12lbs out of a maggie. how many lbs does he want to run
Old 10-17-2005, 10:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Staxxin
I've been wondering the differences. What makes the one better then the other?
Different characteristics totally. Do an internet search and you can read lots of fact and opinion about the differences between roots blowers and centrifugal superchargers. I like to be different, which is why I went this route. I'm no expert by any means, but anyone close to or passing thru KC is welcome to go for a ride, as this is a path no often taken.
Mark
Old 10-17-2005, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by platinum

They are only going to run 7-8psi as my bottom end is stock. That will still get me about 550RWHP on a dynojet, though.

Mark
Old 10-17-2005, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

I Dont Know. Do You Think You Will Get That Much. What Else Is Done To The Car
Nothing. It will be about 500RWHP (not 550RWHP) as I don't have headers or a blower cam yet. Somewhere around 450RWHP on their mustang dyno. Not too bad for efficiency.

Mark
Old 10-17-2005, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

im no expert....

But the characteristics of these two differnt types of force induction will create a differnt feel of your car, though both will net "similar gains in power output but not in seat of the pants feel.

A "maggie" will give a positive displacement effect. Basically, that is the reason why you have such off the line or low end torque. If used with a bypass vavle and a intercooler of some type, a roots style charger will be as efficient as any other form of FI. IMO, the only draw-back is the top-end efficiency.

A Procharger, since it being a centrifugal, it acts like a supercharger running off the belts. It really doesnt have the low-end power of a roots-style blower. It's designed to be "invisible" while in everyday driving, maintaining stock driveability and fuel economy. However, when driven, the centrifugal will draw-up boost nicely in the middle to top-end range. Like a turbo, though it gets its "power" from the belts, it creates more power per boost than a roots-style blower within its design range (middle to top). Also, since the procharger is self-contained and air-to-air intercooled, the compressed air temp is onm eof the lowest in the industry and yuo dont have to draw oil from the oil-pan.

I believe hot rod magazine or super-street (on of those american mags...not sports compact, though they do have FI articles which are a good read as well.) did a comparison between a roots, centrifugal, and a turbo. Both the turbo and the centrifugal topped the roots out in power per eaual boost levels, but th eturbo one because it if the most efficient sice it runs on free power, the exhaust. (though a turbo is a restriction, causing a decrease in hp efficieny, until you draw-up boost of-course!)

Now, again im no expert, but each have there pro's/cons. It all depends on your preferences and driving style and applicationof your vehicle. Now, both a procharger and a magnacharger, though the good thing about a magna is its easy to install factor, will get you in the 11'z, but you have to address each tune accordingly and achieve maximum boost application.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:40 PM
Teching In

I've yet to see anyone running close to 12lbs on a maggie on the V, most I've read anyone getting is around 8. If I could get 12lbs on mine, it wouldn't be in Baton Rouge at Thunder Racing (great bunch of buys btw) for the exact same thing, D1-SC, and alot of other goodies.

FAST intake
90mm throttle body
Custom blower cam (thanks Jeff)
BMR trailing arms, strut tower brace, toe rods
New meats to replace the runcraps

With my current mods and the maggie I was only getting 7lbs, 500hp to the rear wheels.

P.S. Thunder Racing is the ****, very helpful and they do awesome work.

Last edited by CTS-V; 10-17-2005 at 02:51 PM.

Quick Reply: CTS-V with ATI ProCharger D-1SC