Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Heads, Stick, Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 11:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads, Stick, Headers?

I Have A Cts-v And Am Thinking About Heads, A Cam And Headers. Anyone Have Good Or Bad Luck With Any Of These Ls6 Parts?
Old 12-23-2005, 12:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you need to do a lot of research, and then tell us what your goals are for the car. But a cts-v with long tubes a smallish cam and some killer heads would make for a bad *** ride. I'm thinking TR224 on a 114 or one of the stealth cams from MTI and some AFR 205's. I'm not sure who makes headers for the v, but I'd make sure they're stainless.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:37 AM
11 Second Club

I doubt you'll get any responders who have modded a CTS-V. You should at least mention that part in your thread title.

If you just want info about LS6 heads, do a search.

What do you mean by "stick"? An LS6 cam? If so, once again, do a search.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lets try this in the CTS-V section
Old 12-23-2005, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

I agree, AFR 205s and a custom cam would be dirty. TPIS makes some decent headers and can bolt up to the stock exhaust by means of a slip joint.
Kooks just came out with some headers that make some really nice gains, I think you need a cat back for those to work though.
You will of course need a tune, MTI seems to be one of the better places to go. My bud goes there and they do the whole shebang for $500($75 for retune).
Old 12-29-2005, 09:57 PM
Teching In

I've done AFR heads, cam, SW long tubes, high flow cats, under drive pulleys, custom exhaust, dyno tuned. The car runs flawless and is a real blast to drive, and if I can keep my foot out of it, it will get 27/28 mpg on a trip. I used to own a ZO6 and loved it untill I bought this car. It doesn't matter where I go, some one always wants to know --what kind of car is that!
Old 12-29-2005, 10:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls6ctsv
I've done AFR heads, cam, SW long tubes, high flow cats, under drive pulleys, custom exhaust, dyno tuned. The car runs flawless and is a real blast to drive, and if I can keep my foot out of it, it will get 27/28 mpg on a trip. I used to own a ZO6 and loved it untill I bought this car. It doesn't matter where I go, some one always wants to know --what kind of car is that!

Which cam and pulley?
Old 12-30-2005, 06:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2c5s
Which cam and pulley?

I had all the work done in Ft. Wayne In. at Dynotech Eng. They used my car to develope there packages for the CTSV. Phil - owner of DTE - developed 5 different packages, from a stock tune to a highly modified engine. Phil has all the specs on the cam and he would be able to tell you what he used for pulleys, and belt. He can be reached at 260-407-5455.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls6ctsv
What's your RWHP/RMP(dyno charts)?? Any 1/4 times?
Old 12-30-2005, 09:35 PM
Teching In

I haven't been to the strip. 420.6 rwhp 399.5 rwtq I am trying to post the dyno graph but not having much luck.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

this is with the ls6 manifold? Man would your car love a 90mm setup!!
Old 01-06-2006, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

TPIS is developing an adaptation to the LS6 intake manifold to allow a 90 mm throttle body, either aftermarket or LS2. The LS6 intake is really pretty good and much cheaper than a FAST. TPIS did a prototype oval throttle body 74mmx90mm on their own CTS-V and picked up 18 RWHP. I would expect the 90mm adaptation to do as least as well.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by obZidian
Yes these numbers are with the stock LS6 intake, ported and the TB ported. We are in the process of installing a different cam. Maybe the 90mm will be the next step.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:26 AM
10 Second Club

He really should know what cam he has before dropping another $1,200+ on a intake and t body. I bet he is in the 224 range, and the 90 will not make much difference.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

He really should know what cam he has before dropping another $1,200+ on a intake and t body. I bet he is in the 224 range, and the 90 will not make much difference.
You think? with 460rwhp on tap, that might be a 230 cam.

But that isnt the point. The point is that a better flowing intake would yield some nice numbers. Those AFR'z have a nice exhaust flow and when mated to the SW headers, that motor is really expelling a good amount of gas through the tailpipes.

More importantly, though the ls6 manifold is a good manifold, even when ported and with a ported TB..... a better flowing intake system would do well now and in the long run. I understand that ppl are having issues with the price of the intake an i agree, its a but pricey. But look at the other gains you get:

*Pre-drilled bungs for a nitrous direct shot,
*A burst panel option for protection of a nitrous malfunction
*Its in three pieces so you can easily open her up and do necesary porting without worring about cracking the other seal.
*Flow dynamics, unported, are better than the ls6, even ported, yeilding a more "combustable" flow
*Abilitiy to port match to heads with porting guides.
*If you damage the top or mess up one of the three pieces, you dont have to get another manifold just that piece.

Also, the r&d that went into the manifold was excellent and it is a great piece no matter which way you cut it.

You mentioned that a 224 cam would not need such a manifold however the fast manifold yields nice numbers on stock cars (i believe 15rwhp), and it only gets better when you take the motor further...and thats not just peak power but across the board. Also, you never know, ls6ctsv might want to go to larger cam or port the heads and the manifold would just make the package better and better.

Its an investment some ppl are willing to make while others would rather spend their money on cheaper/less-expensive items.

The ported tpis unti seems like a good altenative and one that i have looked at for my z28, so im not discrediting it. ITs impressive and will hold its own in a comparision among manifolds. I just like the fast unit, its options, and its ability to sustain its value with the more mods you do....that my opinion.

Last edited by obZidian; 01-09-2006 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fstfckr
I Have A Cts-v And Am Thinking About Heads, A Cam And Headers. Anyone Have Good Or Bad Luck With Any Of These Ls6 Parts?

You really need to have a goal brother. You want, barely noticable idle, rough idle, dramatic idle?

What are your furture plans with this ride?

Are you going to eventually gonna add a blower?

How about nitrous?

Are you on a budget, or do you have alot of money to spend?

We've done alot of v's, all makeing from 380 rwhp all the way up to 490 rear wheel.... and we're currently trying to make 700 plus on a certain ride.

My car, I went pretty radical but, I really don't give a **** about idle quality, as long as it idles. Tuneing will take care of that,...DYNO tuneing I should say.

Kooks/B&B/SW(stainless works)/TPiS all make headers.

UUC and KATECH make shifters.

B&B/magnaflow/Corsa make catrbacks(but I would go custom)

MTI/AFR/Patriot/LGM/ETC ETC ETC are all respectable places to buy heads from,....just depends on your wallet.

If your going NA,...FAST intake would be a nice route.

Get yourself some good plugs, good wires.

....and think long and hard about the future of this car, and what plans you have for it.

Think first, buy later.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:26 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
My car, I went pretty radical but, I really don't give a **** about idle quality, as long as it idles. Tuneing will take care of that,...DYNO tuneing I should say.

You're crazy man!!! I know this guy, he can tune anything via the mail order. He has like, this 4 or 5 page questionnaire that asks everything about your setup and then he does a kick *** tune from there. He says he quarantee's it or your money back!!!! He says you don't need a dyno, nope, he can do it all through the mail. He says he's smarter than g.m. and added his OWN tables in the PCM. WOW!!
Old 01-10-2006, 09:39 AM
10 Second Club

You think? with 460rwhp on tap, that might be a 230 cam.

But that isnt the point. The point is that a better flowing intake would yield some nice numbers. Those AFR'z have a nice exhaust flow and when mated to the SW headers, that motor is really expelling a good amount of gas through the tailpipes.

More importantly, though the ls6 manifold is a good manifold, even when ported and with a ported TB..... a better flowing intake system would do well now and in the long run. I understand that ppl are having issues with the price of the intake an i agree, its a but pricey. But look at the other gains you get:

*Pre-drilled bungs for a nitrous direct shot,
*A burst panel option for protection of a nitrous malfunction
*Its in three pieces so you can easily open her up and do necesary porting without worring about cracking the other seal.
*Flow dynamics, unported, are better than the ls6, even ported, yeilding a more "combustable" flow
*Abilitiy to port match to heads with porting guides.
*If you damage the top or mess up one of the three pieces, you dont have to get another manifold just that piece.

Also, the r&d that went into the manifold was excellent and it is a great piece no matter which way you cut it.

You mentioned that a 224 cam would not need such a manifold however the fast manifold yields nice numbers on stock cars (i believe 15rwhp), and it only gets better when you take the motor further...and thats not just peak power but across the board. Also, you never know, ls6ctsv might want to go to larger cam or port the heads and the manifold would just make the package better and better.

Its an investment some ppl are willing to make while others would rather spend their money on cheaper/less-expensive items.

The ported tpis unti seems like a good altenative and one that i have looked at for my z28, so im not discrediting it. ITs impressive and will hold its own in a comparision among manifolds. I just like the fast unit, its options, and its ability to sustain its value with the more mods you do....that my opinion.
How do you figure he has 460 rwhp on tap?????? Or come up with a 230 cam???? And where have you seen Fast 90's pick up 15 rwhp over a LS6 intake 346 combo???? From my own experiance on my own engines, I'll offer this.... in general, FAST 90's gain about 10rwhp / 10rwt over a 346 with a LS6 setup with a decent cam and heads. I gained that same 10 / 10 on a 346, 228/230 xer 114, heads that flowed like AFR 205's.

My point, similar to what Vseries tech said, this guy needs to figure what he's trying to do before dumping $1,200 on parts that may yield very little. Hell, he has no clue what cam he is running. ALso, after sitting on the dyno till 12.30 a.m. yesterday trying out different exhaust and intake combo's, the "intake" is not the major restriction, there is plenty of power to found by rerouting the induction path, getting rid of the 90' and heat soak airbox location. The good news, I have a catback that makes the same power as open exhaust. Just have to work on some slight resonance.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're crazy man!!! I know this guy, he can tune anything via the mail order. He has like, this 4 or 5 page questionnaire that asks everything about your setup and then he does a kick *** tune from there. He says he quarantee's it or your money back!!!! He says you don't need a dyno, nope, he can do it all through the mail. He says he's smarter than g.m. and added his OWN tables in the PCM. WOW!!

Like,..WOW..... I have heard of him,...No dyno needed! Thats amazing! All my tuneing issues are solved! ANd the power guarantee,...OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!

--- tuneing god ---> <---his unknowing customers

Old 01-10-2006, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

That bad huh???

Quick Reply: Heads, Stick, Headers?