Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Lightweight flywheel replacement......

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 12:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightweight flywheel replacement......

I am having the clutch TSB done next week and having the UUC shifter put in at the same time. Just wondering about maybe putting in a lightweight flywheel at the same time since the tranny will be out. Think this is a good add since right now the car is completely stock. Also if it is a good idea which flywheel have any of you guys tried and liked and which ones should be avoided. Any input will be appreciated as I only have about a week to get the parts and get the car in the shop.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

Since you only have a week to get the parts, you'll probably be better going with an LS2 flywheel and Z06 clutch. Some people have waited months for aftermarket flywheels.

But I've been told this should bolt up with no problems, weigh a bunch less and cost under $400 for everything.

gmpartsdirect part #s are..
Old 01-23-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Regular

I plan to put in the Fidanza aluminum flywheel.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:55 PM
Teching In

I was told a new clutch comes with the TSB. Don't know if that is true but sure hope so. Why is there a big difference in the ls6 flywheel and the ls2?
Old 01-23-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

Don't know why GM did it, but the LS1/LS6 use the same clutch/flywheel design and the LS2/LS7 use a new design.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

so, the ls2 flywheel is lighter nd bolt right up to our m12, t-56?
Old 01-23-2006, 03:18 PM
Banned

get this unit. it is alot of dough thought. like 1600 u.s. this is the one i have
Attached Thumbnails Lightweight flywheel replacement......-exe-20s-20l.jpg  
Old 01-23-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In my experience with these things,...once you remove the dual mass flywheel(the V comes with) and replace it with a lighter, single, normal flywheel, you will need to use a spacer to extend the master slave out farther, since you just removed over an inch of travel.

I don't know who else uses or makes these spacers but, I know KATECH makes them, but I don't remember the exact price.

Once you get the spacer, you need to go to the hardware store, and find some matching thread paterend but longer bolts.

I have tried it without but,...this seems to be the best fix.

J
Old 01-23-2006, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Well...OUR LS6s have a very heavy dual mass flywheel which was originally used in diesel trucks. I assume Cadillac's engineers thought it would make for a smoother idle.

I was told the part numbers above would bolt up by a co-worker with a heavily modded Z06(with an LS6).

I would suggest going with an aluminum due to its ability to better dampen harmonics as well as its reduced mass, but with your limited time you may need more readily available parts.
I believe TPIS makes a flywheel that does not require a spacer.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

I believe you do need the spacer because how are you gonna compensate for that extra space you'll have when you swap out to a single mass flywheel? I think the tpis unit has a spacer and that is how they do there kits.

I personally, like this clutch....

http://www.textralia.com.au/products.cfm

very competive prices and the reviews are just awesome...great holding power with a littler pedal feel than any other clutch out there....worth reading.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:47 PM
Teching In

I bought a Luk Pro Gold clutch, lightweight flywheel and pressure plate from Moore Performance one year ago. Everything bolted up perfect and no spacer required. I now have 46k miles on the package with no issues whatsoever--except the new flywheel completely eliminates the clunk caused by the dual mass piece of junk oem flywheel, and when you let off of the gas, the car slows down alot quicker. Try it, you'll like it. I believe the package was $795 plus shipping and installation.

Jack
Old 01-23-2006, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

I got the aluminum flywheel from Lingenfelter and love it. The only issue I seemed to have was that in 6th gear on the freeway, the low rpm's and the lighter flywheel seemed to cause a little vibration. Once I installed the Superchips tune it seemed to go away and ran better at low rpm's. You should totally do it. The engine spins up so much nicer now.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mat347
Since you only have a week to get the parts, you'll probably be better going with an LS2 flywheel and Z06 clutch. Some people have waited months for aftermarket flywheels.

But I've been told this should bolt up with no problems, weigh a bunch less and cost under $400 for everything.

gmpartsdirect part #s are..
Any idea of what the weight difference is. I saw on one site that the oem weighs like 40 lbs. and the aluminum weighs in at 12-12.5 lbs.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

The CTS-V is not the first time GM used the dual-mass flywheel. It tried it years ago in Corvettes and quickly dropped it after about a year or two.
LuK is the oem for dual mass flywheels. Google Luk, and, according to LuK, a dual-mass is really trick. Changing to single mass traditional flywheel can save 30 lb, and it feels like 30 hp.
The bone-stock ZO6 oem assembly with a spacer and attachements is, in my opinion, a very safe bet. It was designed specifically for this motor. Why bother with mixing and matching a LS6 clutch to an LS2 flywheel? TPIS sells the entire package. If you need further weight reduction, then go with the aluminum flywheel. Problem with the Lingenfelter's use of the aluminum flywheel is that it retains the too heavy stock clutch, and the aluminum flywheel option is fully exercised.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:31 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Here is the Spec Stage 3+ clutch and pressure plate assembly for the V. Part number SC683F The new flywheel is SC75S

This is the spacer that Spec uses to space out the slave cylinder, to make up for the extra room left from getting rid of the heavy factory dual mass arangement.

Much lighter than the stock set-up, and I was really impressed with the clutch feel. It doesn't chatter during break-in like the standard Spec stage 3 is with it's puck style of clutch. The 3+ is rated at something like an extra 160 ft lbs of torque over the stage 3, to 850 ft lbs.

Types of Driving: Street, Drag, Drift, Road Race, Pulling

For heavily modified street and race engines making more torque than the st3 can support. Offers good daily drivability and better manageability than the stage 3, with even better wear characteristics.

High clamp pressure plate, full-faced carbon metallic friction, high torque sprung hub and disc assembly, bearing and tool kit. Bob

Last edited by Exotic Performance Plus; 01-24-2006 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How much is the install on one of these clutches ??? I am thinking about getting a new z06 clutch and flywheel for mine.

Heard things good and bad things about spec, like blowing up. Maybe a RAM will do also, I just don't plan on ever spending 1200 on a clutch like excedy sp? or ausie clutch.

Any other suggestions, either way I want a new flywheel and clutch. What is the ideal cost and install on this. If it is to much I will just have to get off my butt and do it myself, and save the extra $$ for the rear end

J
Old 01-24-2006, 03:36 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

The Spec SC683F is $558.50, the SC75S flywheel is $225.00

We charge $350.00 for the installation of the above components. Bob
Old 01-24-2006, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
The Spec SC683F is $558.50, the SC75S flywheel is $225.00

We charge $350.00 for the installation of the above components. Bob
Damn really nice website...

Really interesting stuff those customer cars...

Congrats...

Just kill the guy who used the funky fonts.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:27 PM
Banned

Chiro V, I was checking out the Lingenfelter Flywheel. Their website say's it's not balanced. Did you get yours balanced?
Did you get the whole clutch flywheel assembly balanced?
Old 01-24-2006, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

They recommend getting the flywheel and pressure plate balanced together but the flywheel itself is balanced. I would recommend getting them balanced just to be on the safe side, although I didn't and everything seems fine. It makes sense about replacing the clutch but I still had plenty of life left in the oem clutch so when it's time to replace it I'll go aftermarket.

Quick Reply: Lightweight flywheel replacement......