Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Buying a cts-v but has a noise (rear end of course)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 02:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a cts-v but has a noise (rear end of course)

The dealer tells me the problem with the v lies in a bushing on the differential? When I drove it, it seemed to clunk whe i was on and off the throttle or shifting gears. I had read about problems in this area and know about the weakness' of the v's differential and wheel hop. Does the dealer know what they are talking about wit this "bushing" or was this car abused? Should I beware of this purchase? Appreciate it guys
Old 07-29-2007, 03:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by myeakle
Does the dealer know what they are talking about wit this "bushing" or was this car abused? Should I beware of this purchase? Appreciate it guys
Most dealers will tell you anything to sell a car. But on the other hand, a noisy rear end doesn't necesarilly mean its an abused car. Tell them to replace the rear before you'll purchase it.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:28 PM
Teching In

thanks Darkside...they told me it was a bushing and an easy fix...just wondering if anyone knew what they were talking about and if that would indicate future probs? Im thinking its a result of constantly whell hopping the rear? Not sure what breaks when trhat happens? Anybody?
Thanks, Mike
Old 07-29-2007, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

If they don't replace the rear before you buy it, then make sure they will when you break it!!!
Old 07-29-2007, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be that the bushing is the culprit.

Replace dif? I'm on number three, and I baby the darn thing.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:30 PM
Launching!

The front bushing on the diff tends to get loosened or worn. Sometimes it can be fixed simply by torquing it to the proper spec, while others require a replacement.

Don't be afraid of the diff because of this noise- the symptoms of a bad diff are binding and clunking while turning, and even then a fluid change will sometimes eliminate the problem.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

This problem doesn't sound diff related. Get the BMR pinion support brace and the clunk will go away. Maybe you can get them to install it for you for free if you buy the part. My dealership encourages people to buy the BMR stuff when buying V's. If you hear a whining at about 40mph while in 3rd or 4th gear then you should ask to have the diff replaced b/f you buy.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:53 PM

My diff. is only about 3 months old (replaced) and it whines.. Its just a part of it...

But do get the BMR support. It helps a TON!
Old 07-30-2007, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replys guys. The info you provided should help out, ecspecially when I go to pick the car up after the repairs are made. Thanks again!

Mike
Old 07-31-2007, 09:51 AM
Teching In

I recently bought one (2004) that had the clunk. It was a bushing that required replacement, so I took it to my local Caddy dealer and they fixed it under warranty. It fixed the noise.

If you buy the car and take it to the dealer, be sure to complain vehemently about wheel hop. I learned the following from another forum.

Anyone that hasn't already done so, contact your dealer and refer to Document ID# 1684809. They will order the replacement bushings that should eliminate wheel hop under "most circumstances" (from the TSB document) and install them under warrenty for you. The dealer might give you a little hassle about this proceedure as it is a TSB and not a recall but if you incist they must do the work. This is an excerpt from the TSB:
Important: Do NOT replace the rear sub-frame bushings unless the customer specifically has the concern of objectionable wheel hop.

I'm taking my car in next week to complain about wheel hop and the dreaded "whine." My service manager already told me "they all do that and it's a common problem. We either adjust the rear end or replace it under the warranty."

Old 07-31-2007, 10:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't do the TSB for the GM bushings unless you don't mind creaking or lubing them every month. They don't help with the wheelhop either. Try the bushings from Spectre.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by myeakle
Thanks for the replys guys. The info you provided should help out, ecspecially when I go to pick the car up after the repairs are made. Thanks again!

Mike
Same thing happend to me when i test drove my V i felt and heard the clunk when i would shift but the salesman said it was nothing ,but it got worse everyday until i took it back and it was the bushing in the rear differential. The service tech said it was common for that to happen in the V and that I would more than likely be back for the same problem in 25 - 30,000 miles
Old 08-13-2007, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stkshkr
Don't do the TSB for the GM bushings unless you don't mind creaking or lubing them every month. They don't help with the wheelhop either. Try the bushings from Spectre.

Or better yet, give Doug a call and buy the KARS III kit. Screw and pliable bushings - the kit has steel spacers!
Old 09-02-2007, 10:29 AM

Would this clunking during gear changing be solved with a carbonfiber drive shaft?

Is this a rotational mass issue (the 94 - 96 Impala's have this clunk too).

MM

Quick Reply: Buying a cts-v but has a noise (rear end of course)