Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

daily commuter and mods (reliability, gas milage, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default daily commuter and mods (reliability, gas milage, etc)

The current plan is to pick up a 06 cts-v after the first of the year (im out of town for 2 to 4 months starting mid october). When i get back ill be commuting roughly 80 miles a day.

Im planning on a few things to get right away. One is another set of wheels for winter (minnesota) and the other is the Kars III kit assuming i find a dealer that doesnt have warrenty problems with it.

From what i understand mot folks get a bit under 20 mpgs with mostly highwayh driving, and thats fine... But what happens when you do a few mods (assuming you keep your foot out of it ). So what effect might hearders, full exhaust, CIA and a tune have on that?

what effect would a maggie have on that :o im probably not going to do this (not right away thats for sure)

Ideally id like to have somewhere in the 500 crank hp range but i cant really live with 13 MPGs for a daily driver... maybe some head work and a mild cam? how would a dealer look that that? :o

waht do you think?
Old 09-22-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I first got the V bone stock: 16 mpg
After headers, etc: 15 mpg
After maggie: 13 mpg

But 8 months into ownership and I can't keep my foot from mashing the pedal. That and my little highway driving is the reason for my mpg. If you can take it easy, you can definitely see 20 mpg + on the highway even with a maggie.

As far as mods & dealers - it all depends. Some will be fine with them, some won't. Post where you're from and maybe someone can tell you about the local dealers.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Teching In

80 miles a day, I would think long and hard about a different car.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GroverDill
80 miles a day, I would think long and hard about a different car.
I wouldn't say that. I commute 80 miles a day to and from work.... Well when i was working.... I enjoyed it.

GroverDill = Dream Killer!
Old 09-22-2008, 10:30 PM
Teching In

I never said it would not be enjoyable, expensive yes.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah it cost me about 130 bucks a week in gas. 2 fill ups a week anyways.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

With k&n, cat back and tune I'm getting 25-27 on the highway. Thats with babying it out of every light and no spirited passing.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CTSV_510
When I first got the V bone stock: 16 mpg
After headers, etc: 15 mpg
After maggie: 13 mpg
Wait...after headers and stuff your gas mileage went down? Did you have it tuned? I'm going to attribute that to changing how you drive. I would think your mileage should've increased. Mine has.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Right Foot Training

Welcome to Mod Hell!

Your right foot has everything to do with it, especially after any mods.

Right now, three or four hard trips through the gears (1-4), and my mileage is toast for that tank of gas.

I believe that a larger, milder cammed engine is a better solution than a 5.7 that's cammed to death for a high peak power dyno reading and by far, the driveability is better.

In your LS2 car, I feel that the LPE GT11 would be a pretty good choice for a DD/commuter. I've driven several LS2 cars (GTOs and a CTS-V) and they ran well with good driveability.

With that said, I would consult Patrick G before making any cam choices.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd
Wait...after headers and stuff your gas mileage went down? Did you have it tuned? I'm going to attribute that to changing how you drive. I would think your mileage should've increased. Mine has.
Yes, it was tuned, and yes it went down, but like scatillac said, it's all about how you drive. The sound of headers just invites you to stop the pedal. I never have driven with MPG in mind (except once, just for fun. well not really fun, but you know).

I also drive about 0 highway miles so figure that in.

I'm probably not a good example because I don't drive enough miles to care about mpg. Listen to the other guys that can get 20 -26 mpg by taking it easy.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Teching In

You have headers but not exhausts? Will exhausts one wouldn't be able to hear the headers much I would think. I have Magnaflow and I wouldn't think the headers or intake can be heard.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bigbadboss101
You have headers but not exhausts? Will exhausts one wouldn't be able to hear the headers much I would think. I have Magnaflow and I wouldn't think the headers or intake can be heard.
The headers make the droning of the exhaust more pulsey. (you can hear the cam a little better, hear what sounds like each cylinder popping off a little better) The car goes from sounding the way it does currently to almost sounding like a street rod if that makes any more sense.

havent got em yet, but the long tubes on my truck were the same way. cant wait for the kooks. expect 18 average, 24-28 on the freeway if you're taking it easy. I actually bought this car for the mileage.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigbadboss101
Me? I have kooks headers, high flow cats and a magnaflow catback.

And YES, you can hear the headers and the intake.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1V2Envy
I wouldn't say that. I commute 80 miles a day to and from work.... Well when i was working.... I enjoyed it.

GroverDill = Dream Killer!
I commute 86 miles each day at least 4 time a week. I fill up daily, or at least every other day, as I'm paranoid about runnig out of gas in this car. Anyway, I usually put in 5.7 gallons, which averages out to 15 MPG. This is about half highway, half city driving. I also drive is a spirited manner. Higher revs, and squick acceleration is seen daily. Before I got my cam I was around 13 mpg average.

Originally Posted by scatillac
Welcome to Mod Hell!

Your right foot has everything to do with it, especially after any mods.

Right now, three or four hard trips through the gears (1-4), and my mileage is toast for that tank of gas.

I believe that a larger, milder cammed engine is a better solution than a 5.7 that's cammed to death for a high peak power dyno reading and by far, the driveability is better.

In your LS2 car, I feel that the LPE GT11 would be a pretty good choice for a DD/commuter. I've driven several LS2 cars (GTOs and a CTS-V) and they ran well with good driveability.

With that said, I would consult Patrick G before making any cam choices.
The "right foot" thing is beyond true. Very good point Scatillac.

I have a 5.7, with a high lift but low(er) duration cam (224/228 .588, .610 w/ xe-r/xfi lobes spec'd by Pat G). I was beyond surprised at what this cam did for my MPG. With me leadfooting it around, I gained 2 mpg. If I really try (flat surface, highway, 60 mph in 6th, windows up, no AC), I can get 32 mpg now with this cam. Cruising at 75 in 6th, with occasional passing, I can get 28 mpg.

It all comes back to that right foot though. If you get into it, MPG goes to shi!t real quick.

-Chris
Old 09-23-2008, 11:54 AM
Banned

Quick Reply: daily commuter and mods (reliability, gas milage, etc)